Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Structure of Future World Championships - Views?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structure of Future World Championships - Views?

Ed Warner, the Chairman of London 2017, does not think the current 10 day format for the World Championships, which has attracted 50,000+ crowds for nearly all sessions in London, will necessarily work for future World Championships.

He is particularly concerned about empty stadia in Doha and has suggested an alternative might be a more concentrated programme of semi-finals and finals held over 4 days with qualifying events being held before the Championships.

Having seen first-hand the turnout for the 2010 World Indoor in Doha, I think fears of empty seats are well founded, no matter what the format.

Comment

Shouldn't have gave them the WCs then.

Comment

Maybe they will just import plane-loads of spectators from India..

Are the Americans here confident of a full stadium in 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
          Are the Americans here confident of a full stadium in 2021?
          It's a pretty small small stadium by WC standards, though, isn't it?
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Yeah, probably about like Helsinki '05

Comment

I want to encourage Doha 2019 organizers to invite fans from around the world to come to Doha with all accommodation and tickets expenses covered by the Qatari government. That is the only chance we see a decent crowd. And a chance for us T&FN posters to hang out

Comment

Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
                I want to encourage Doha 2019 organizers to invite fans from around the world to come to Doha with all accommodation and tickets expenses covered by the Qatari government. That is the only chance we see a decent crowd. And a chance for us T&FN posters to hang out
                How cool would that be - make a super-cheap junket w/air and hotel tix?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  How cool would that be - make a super-cheap junket w/air and hotel tix?
                  It's not like they would feel a financial loss.

Comment

I'm always up for a junket. Although after spending 5 days in Dubai last month, you might struggle to get me into the region again (so hot, so dull).

On the original questions, "compacting" the program is definitely a good idea. This one really dragged out. Go back to 8 days.

Comment

It makes no sense why they built a stadium with such a large capacity in Doha. A smaller stadium would mean fewer empty seats.

As for Eugene in 2021, I have no doubt that it will be a sell out.

The interesting question is how the meet in 2023 will do. I'd guess it will be in Europe. Paris the year before 2024?

I would love to see the meet come back to London in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

World Champs should always be in the U.K. or Germany.

Comment

It makes no sense why they built a stadium with such a large capacity in Doha......
                          they'll be building more of the same: remember that they're the 2022 World Cup hosts.

Comment

It makes no sense why they built a stadium with such a large capacity in Doha. A smaller stadium would mean fewer empty seats.

As for Eugene in 2021, I have no doubt that it will be a sell out.

The interesting question is how the meet in 2023 will do. I'd guess it will be in Europe. Paris the year before 2024?

Eugene's stadium will only hold 30,000 so anything less than near capacity crowds will be a failure.

I would think Gothenburg will be the favourite for 2023.

Comment

Like I said on another post the other day, there will be some issues re: Qatar and their perceived (by many) support of terrorists. Look for significant protests and I would hope those in charge will consider re-assigning '19 and World Cup for 2022 if these issues are not resolved. Just google "Qatar supporting terrorists" and you will see it is a pretty widely held perception.

Comment

Working...
                              X