Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London attendance/crowd noise

not sure I've ever seen a recap before, so here's the "ticketed" figures (i.e., not including the athletes/officials/press/janitors):

8/04—55,100;
    8/05—50,060/55,900;
    8/06—43,860/48,400;
    8/07—49,920;
    8/08—55,540;
    8/09—51,130;
    8/10—56,290;
    8/11—22,020/50,220;
    8/12—56,620/56,020;
    8/13—55,520.
    Total 760,590
    Last edited by gh; 08-17-2017, 09:51 PM.

They sure do love athletics!

Comment

Figures would have been much higher had they not converted the 2012 version of the stadium to Premier League football (they took out around 20,000 seats, so the attendance would have been up by 250,000

Comment

I see in a home-page-linked article that London Attendance was a 'world record' 900,000, because they include 150,000 for the marathons (which did not cost anything to watch).

Wouldn't the NYC Marathon have that total every year if you include anyone who happened to see runners go by?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I see in a home-page-linked article that London Attendance was a 'world record' 900,000, because they include 150,000 for the marathons (which did not cost anything to watch).
          Although the story did mention the crowds at the marathon, it's not clear to me that the world record count included those people. There's a clear reference to ticket sales, and that wouldn't have included people standing on the sidewalks along the marathon course.

That having been said, I don't know how else to explain the discrepancy between the numbers mentioned in gh's post above and the 900,000 mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

That having been said, I don't know how else to explain the discrepancy between the numbers mentioned in gh's post above and the 900,000 mentioned in the article.
            The following was in a London 2017 LOC press release sent out on Monday 14 August.

<<The figure recorded on the official Guinness World Record certificate is 701,889 but with that taken two days before the end of the Championships, it will be updated to reflect the over 705,000 eventually sold. Session 12 on the morning of Saturday 12 August was the best ticketed session at 56,620.

The London Stadium was not the sole focus for the Championships with the men’s and women’s marathons, held on the same day of the Championships (Sunday 6 August) for the first time ever, and attracting 150,000 spectators around its landmark filled 10km loop course.>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              attracting 150,000 spectators around its landmark filled 10km loop course.>>
              . . . fake news. . . As I say, there may be close to a million people who see parts of the NYC marathon.

edit - from a Forbes article on-line:

2 million: Number of spectators at the race.
              Last edited by Atticus; 08-17-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Speaking of WC marathons Osaka 2007 marathon had an enormous crowd, particularly women's on a last day. It must be a record for WC marathons.

Comment

why doesn't London add in another nice-round 100,000 for the walk crowd and claim a million?

Comment

From a TV viewer's point of view, Stuttgart '93 'sounded the loudest', followed by London 2017, Helsinki '83 and Rome '87! I'll yield to the folk who were there regarding actuality......!

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23 View Post
                      From a TV viewer's point of view, Stuttgart '93 'sounded the loudest', followed by London 2017, Helsinki '83 and Rome '87! I'll yield to the folk who were there regarding actuality......!
                      I was actually there at all of those, and I agree that Stuttgart was the loudest. There was a tremendous buzz in the stadium, even when nothing much was going on. London was loud, but that was largely related to the event presentation, which had a significant element of cheerleading and active encouragement of crowd engagement (not that there's anything wrong with that). Rome might have been ahead of Helsinki. Bigger stadium, more boisterous audience generally.

Comment

A crucial element that's being ignored in "loudness" is the shape of the space in which the noise is being made. You can't compare an open-air stadium like Helsinki to a roofed one like London.

My recolleciton is that even though the Stuttgart stadium was full for both meets, the '93 Worlds were far louder than the '86 Euros for the simple reason that more roofing had been added, trapping more sound.

Similarly, Hayward Field isn't as loud now as it was before they put in a modern track in the '80s and moved the East Grandstand back 50 feet or so. The two stands used to be much better at funnelling the noise back and forth across the infield.

For best sustained noise (and informed noise to boot), nothing beats a German crowd. Best track fans anywhere.

Comment

I suspect the new Hayward Field will be one big echo chamber aimed at the East Grandstand...it's already bad enough....

I can't say what it was like on the field either now or then.....

Sat in the West Grandstand 2 years ago....and true the sound doesn't bounce off the East like it did....but in the East I don't notice much difference.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-17-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            . . . fake news. . . As I say, there may be close to a million people who see parts of the NYC marathon.

edit - from a Forbes article on-line:
                            It's hard to understand how much a million is. If you have people standing shoulder-to-shoulder on both sides of the road for all 26.2 miles, that only gets you to 100,000 or so spectators. You'd need people standing ten deep the entire way to get a million. I sincerely doubt the turnout is that heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
                              It's hard to understand how much a million is. If you have people standing shoulder-to-shoulder on both sides of the road for all 26.2 miles, that only gets you to 100,000 or so spectators. You'd need people standing ten deep the entire way to get a million. I sincerely doubt the turnout is that heavy.
                              In NYC there are skyscrapers that easily allow 'millions' to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X