Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The skyscrapers are for the most part are not where the course is.

Comment

A million is a lot of people..difficult to accommodate that many at any venue..

Comment

Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
        It's hard to understand how much a million is. If you have people standing shoulder-to-shoulder on both sides of the road for all 26.2 miles, that only gets you to 100,000 or so spectators. You'd need people standing ten deep the entire way to get a million. I sincerely doubt the turnout is that heavy.
        That is an interesting example ... there are innumerable ways to illustrate a million people.. if each occupied an 18 inch square, they would fill 41.6 football fields.. or make a column 98 yards wide and one mile long..

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
          The skyscrapers are for the most part are not where the course is.
          I've been to the 102nd story of the Empire State building!
          I remember looking down and seeing all those taxis---thinking they looked like a gathering of ladybugs!!
          LOL

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            why doesn't London add in another nice-round 100,000 for the walk crowd and claim a million?
            Considering it was held on a one-kilometer stretch of road, you'd need the crowd to be 50-deep on each side to get to 100,000. It sure didn't look that way.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
              It's hard to understand how much a million is. If you have people standing shoulder-to-shoulder on both sides of the road for all 26.2 miles, that only gets you to 100,000 or so spectators. You'd need people standing ten deep the entire way to get a million. I sincerely doubt the turnout is that heavy.
              And the WC marathon was held on a 10-km loop so the crowd would need to be 4 times as deep to get the same number, unless you assume that a whole new crowd came to watch every time the runners were passing by.

In any case, the number of spectators for a marathon can only be treated as a VERY rough approximation. I doubt anyone was actually counting.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

amazing attendance in London indeed, record or not...

Comment

Crowd wise my favourite WCs behind Stuttgart in 1993.

1. Stuttgart
                  2. London 2017
                  3. Berlin

gh also made a great point about the stadiums and how they're built. One reason why Beijing 2015 was loud even thought hey didn't open the upper bowl, also why Moscow 2013 was loud during certain finals (110m, Womens 400m) with Russians despite nowhere near a sell-out until the last few days.

Comment

Youth world championships in Kenya at closing ceremony all stadium was crowded with competitors and spectators, that was awesome!

Comment

The crowd noise in London had to compete perpetually with the incessant loud music being played, together with various activities encouraged by on-field announcer Iwan Thomas [who was better as a 400 runner]. The music and announcing occasionally detracted from introductions of athletes - for example, the fields for the women's 5000 heats were largely ignored by the announcers. They didn't do a bad job, but would have been enhanced by someone with gh's knowledge, had he been able to attend.
                      As to crowd noise, the pure volume during the Men's 10000 is the loudest crowd I've heard [though, to be honest, I was sitting in a tv truck in 2012 when Farah won the 5000, and the volume then warped the 5000 photo-finish.

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans View Post
                        ... I was sitting in a tv truck in 2012 when Farah won the 5000, and the volume then warped the 5000 photo-finish.
                        This, i fear, is one of the great myths of the sport. The "warping" of the photo was actually caused by people jumping up and down and wiggling the camera. The noise couldn't possibly be that loud. Or so engineer types have told me.

Comment

But what an excellent apocryphal tale.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            The following was in a London 2017 LOC press release sent out on Monday 14 August.

<<The figure recorded on the official Guinness World Record certificate is 701,889 but with that taken two days before the end of the Championships, it will be updated to reflect the over 705,000 eventually sold. Session 12 on the morning of Saturday 12 August was the best ticketed session at 56,620.

The London Stadium was not the sole focus for the Championships with the men’s and women’s marathons, held on the same day of the Championships (Sunday 6 August) for the first time ever, and attracting 150,000 spectators around its landmark filled 10km loop course.>>
                            Wasn't there just Decathlon and 100m hurdles heats on the Saturday morning? How come that had the highest attendance? Higher than evening sessions, including 100m men's finals?

Comment

Originally posted by etuoyo View Post
                              Wasn't there just Decathlon and 100m hurdles heats on the Saturday morning? How come that had the highest attendance? Higher than evening sessions, including 100m men's finals?
                              Both were a sell out but my understanding is that:
                              1) as the week went on they increased capacity of the stadium so could sell more tickets. For instance a row of seats behind one of the camera stands seemed to be used half way through the week but not the first weekend

2) the evening session had more tickets reserved for VIPs, corporates, etc who were more likely not to turn up

Nevertheless the demand for that Saturday morning was huge given what was on offer (I didn't go that morning). In large part this reflected that it was one of the most family friendly sessions to go to - especially if you'd only decided you wanted to go once the championships started.

The 10pm finishes meant that even for those of us who live relatively close to Stratford it was 11pm by the time I got home. Many of the people I work with who have families and the disposable income to take their family to athletics 'on a whim' are based in South-West and West London which would have been pretty close to midnight finishes after travel. Hence they went on the Saturday morning instead.... probably another reason to have the finals at an earlier hour!

Comment

Working...
                              X