Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see Charlene Lipsey end an amazing season in the 800m with another sub 1:58 run.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
      Im happy for Makwala, but Im also just a bit bitter that he did not have the focus and discipline in London to deliver a medal. All the stars were aligned and he blew it.
      Damn right!! How dare he get sick; how he dare miss his 400m final

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
        "The athlete told reporters Tuesday that he was fit to run, but hours before the 400m final he was refused entry into the London Stadium.
        He said on Facebook that he had been the victim of a "government trap."
        "I still maintain I am not sick and have never been tested by any Doctor. I shall rise again," he wrote."

Athletes staying at one of the team hotels for the IAAF World Championships in London have been affected by an outbreak of gastroenteritis, officials have confirmed, with gold-medal favorite Isaac Makwala forced to pull out of the 400m final.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
          I noticed that and was wondering, aaronk. But when they showed the replay, it didn't seem to affect placement. I wonder if they would have DQ'ed him if he had literally displaced one of them from the standings?
          Absolutely, he robbed Edris of second place and pushed both Mo and Edris from behind. It was completely unprofessional. What kind of a jerk pulls off a stunt like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
            Absolutely, he robbed Edris of second place and pushed both Mo and Edris from behind. It was completely unprofessional. What kind of a jerk pulls off a stunt like that?
            Chelimo was DQd

Comment

Originally posted by AFelixFan View Post
              I was most impressed with Miller-Uibo today. Her equalling her 100m PR in Birmingham suggested she was ready to run something under 22 today, and I figured it'd be good enough to win, but wasn't sure she could run a new PR. Now that she has, I wonder if she can break 49 seconds next week in Brussels. She should at least be in PR shape over the 400m as well. I'm not sure Felix can get close to her in Miller-Uibo's present form, but if the conditions are good, it should be a fast race.
              Or she's only in shape for a 350 ?

Comment

Totally wowed by Millers last 40m - incredible!

Is felix definitely running the 400m in Brussels?

Comment

I wondered why Chelimo was not immediately DQd? The initial results had him in 2nd place, (I think) ..about as blatant foul as I can recall witnessing..

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    So I wonder aloud again, how much merit should we give SM-U's win here. This race is anti-climactic for Schippers, and I'm not so sure she should lose traction in the Rankings for this 4th place finish. I understand the Rankings are expressly related to a 'season's' oeuvre, but at some point mustn't the rankers give allowance for the 'significance' (or lack thereof) of a particular meet in the context of Championship season. And yes, I realize there was a lot at stake in this race in this meet, but at some point we must 'forgive' DS for her loss of focus here.
                    Almost zero. Do u remember any of last year's winners in zurich without looking at their website ? I certainly don't.
                    This year diamond league winners don't even get to use a bye into worlds so other than the 50k no other incentive to get up for this meet.
                    Yes there were a couple of good races but generally another lackluster late season meet!
                    Last edited by tm71; 08-25-2017, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
                      Yes there were a couple of good races but generally another lackluster late season meet.
                      Miller-Uibo 21.88
                      Makwala 43.95
                      Kendricks 5.87 to stay undefeated
                      Manyonga 8.49
                      Semenya 1:55.84
                      Jebet 8:55.29
                      Pearson & Nelvis virtual dead heat at 12.55
                      Thrilling 5K finish

Yep, pretty lackluster.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                        Miller-Uibo 21.88
                        Makwala 43.95
                        Kendricks 5.87 to stay undefeated
                        Manyonga 8.49
                        Semenya 1:55.84
                        Jebet 8:55.29
                        Pearson & Nelvis virtual dead heat at 12.55
                        Thrilling 5K finish

Yep, pretty lackluster.
                        Yes but this meet routinely had tons of WLs and through the year several historic WRs have been set. Not anywhere near what it used to be and maybe it is held too late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          I wondered why Chelimo was not immediately DQd? The initial results had him in 2nd place, (I think) ..about as blatant foul as I can recall witnessing..
                          After I saw this, I googled the Tokyo OG 10K from '64!
                          Found a GREAT YouTube video---3:56 in length--which shows highlights from that race---incuding the point when Gammoudi did EXACTLY the same thing with Clarke & Mills---except much earlier--with about 300 meters to go!!
                          This video has VERY clear images & audio, and shows the entire last lap of the race, plus the start (You see Mills & Lindgren up front!!).
                          Check it out!
                          Just google "Tokyo Olympics 10000 race in 1964--video".
                          There's a few shorter vids, but watch the one that's 3:56 long!

Comment

Originally posted by bhall View Post
                            Not exactly. It is a judgement call on where the arm ends and torso begins when the shoulder leads. The reader has to visualize where the acromion process is. As I said, I know the process. I think the photo read is questionable.
                            I assume there was a second camera on the inside of the track and that would have been used to establish the torso position accurately. Looking at the published picture, the very first part of Nelvis that reaches the line is clearly not torso but I agree that establishing an exact position to place the cursor line from the published picture involves a lot of estimation and assumption regarding the twisting of her upper body, chest size etc.

I have worked on photo-finish teams using a single camera where I feel that a decision has been made to 'split' two athletes in situations fairly similar to this that I personally would have been happy to call a dead heat. Conversely, I have been in situations where a dead heat has been given with a single camera when most of the team felt fairly confident that a 'reverse' camera would probably have given a clear decision to a particular athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              True dat. And it encourages those with a few wins early in the season to skip the remaining meets before the final, since at that point they've done enough to qualify for the final and there's no additional benefit to more points.

I believe the goal of this new format was to avoid situations where the leading athlete already has enough points to clinch the DL title before the final meet. But this approach takes it to the other extreme, seriously diminishing the importance of the rest of the season.

I think a better balance would be to define the overall DL winner as the athlete who has the most points out of the top 3 placers in the final. Thus no matter how many points you have you still have to put in enough effort to be in the top 3, and you also have to take the rest of the season seriously because the point standings will determine whether you need to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd to win the DL trophy.
                              I'm not to bothered about the stupid rule this year since it only determines prize money. However, next year where a World Championship buy is at stake, IAAF better fix this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                                What's the record for numbers of sub-44 runs in one season? I would suspect Makwala is dangerously close to that record.

Comment

Working...
                                X