Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In days of yore when I was at T&FN and we were pre-computer without databases the need for I and II was where the the same-named athletes might show up on a list or results together.

The basic requirements were being contemporaries, same/similar events, same country.
    Last edited by dj; 09-24-2022, 06:21 PM.

Comment

That reminded me of Conchita Martinez. Not the 1994 Wimbledon champion, but another Spanish player who shared the same name. When she joined the WTA Tour, she was asked by the tour to add "Granados" (her mother's maiden name?) to her name.

I wonder if the two Lauryn Williams ever raced against each other.
      Last edited by TN1965; 09-24-2022, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The UK has 2 Dave Smith's in its all time top 11 hammer throwers. The older one's son Alex ranks 9th.

I have seen Ian Stewart I and Ian Stewart II in UK all-time lists for, I think the Mile and 3000m. Ian Stewart I from the '70s was better known internationally than the one from the '80s.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
          In days of yore when I was at T&FN and we were pre-computer without databases the need for I and II was where the the same-named athletes might show up on a list or results together.

The basic requirements were being contemporaries, same/similar events, same country.
          Still needed for compiling all-time ranking points. Don't want Wallace Spearmon II to be credited with his father's ranking points from the 1980s.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
            The UK has 2 Dave Smith's in its all time top 11 hammer throwers. The older one's son Alex ranks 9th.

I have seen Ian Stewart I and Ian Stewart II in UK all-time lists for, I think the Mile and 3000m. Ian Stewart I from the '70s was better known internationally than the one from the '80s.
            I had never heard of Ian Stewart II until I read your post.

And then, there is Ian Stewart III, although he is an American sprinter.

Comment

Working...
            X