Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also on NBCSN at midnight, PDT, Saturday night, but undoubtedly horribly cut up by commercials, most of which are scheduled for right when someone makes a big move. >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Comment

slightly off topic

Does the newest edition of Big Gold Book have the marathon pace pages showing sub 2:03 paces?
      Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
        several people on this board only care about times
        Present!
        Except for the OG/WC 'thons, I only look at the times.
        I know I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
          slightly off topic

Does the newest edition of Big Gold Book have the marathon pace pages showing sub 2:03 paces?
          Don't know, as I own the 2012 edition!!
          But here's the pace for 2:02:24---as close as I could figure it!

2:54 per K
          5K at 14:30
          10K in 29:00
          15K in 43:30
          20K in 58:00
          Half in 1:01:12
          25K in 1:12:30
          30K in 1:27:00
          35K in 1:41:30
          40K in 1:56:00
          Last 2195 meters in 6:24

Per Mile pace is about 4:39.6

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            There is no way they will go 60min for the first half. That will result in a serious carnage in the second half. If the conditions are right, they will probably go 61:15-61:20.
            Per Jon Gault over at LRC:

"Jos Hermens -- agent for Bekele and Kipchoge -- told me the plan is for pacers to hit halfway in 60:50. For reference, 61:28 is WR pace and 61:11 is the fastest first half split ever in a marathon (not counting Breaking2)"

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              here's the pace for 2:02:24---as close as I could figure it!
              10K in 29:00
              Oofda!
              So a 2:02:19 is sub-29 10Ks all the way!! That sounds really fast to me.

Comment

Originally posted by imarunr View Post
                Per Jon Gault over at LRC:

"Jos Hermens -- agent for Bekele and Kipchoge -- told me the plan is for pacers to hit halfway in 60:50. For reference, 61:28 is WR pace and 61:11 is the fastest first half split ever in a marathon (not counting Breaking2)"
                Still amazing that Steve Jones was 61:42 32 years ago and without a rabbit.

Comment

In Toni Reavis story Berlin's dream race it says, "With its uber fast two-loop course. . ."

Incorrect. Take a look at map. One big loop around the city.

Comment

Hang on--I'm trying to do the calculation for sub-2 if they run perfectly even half splits. nearly there.

Comment

Originally posted by exdrake View Post
                      Hang on--I'm trying to do the calculation for sub-2 if they run perfectly even half splits. nearly there.
                      14:09.8 per 5000!
                      Brings you to 42K at 1:58:57.2!
                      Last 385 yards would be 62.7 (1:59:59.9)

Comment

Good grief, folks! This is NOT rocket science.
                        2 hr = 120 min
                        120 / 42.195 = 2.844 - 2 = .844 * 60 = 50.63, so 2:50.63/kilo
                        2.844 * 5 = 14.22 - 14 = .22 * 60 = 13.2, so 14:13.2 for 5K

Or, just do it like 120 / 42.195 * 5 = 14.219.!

The only fact you need is that the marathon is 42.195 meters (or 26.21875 miles)
                        Sheesh,
                        Alan Shank

PS I threw together a spreadsheet with kilo, mile and 5K splits for every time between 2:03 and 2:00, every 10 seconds. If anyone wants a copy (which you should be able to easily adapt for any set of times), send me a private message. I also have a spreadsheet that takes input of every 5K split, then projects the final times two ways -- average pace and current pace (i.e. last 5K split).

Comment

note from "Professor of Marathon" (Sean Hartnett), on the ground in Berlin: <<my biggest concern is the rising dew point that looks to be 52 or 53 for the race.>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            note from "Professor of Marathon" (Sean Hartnett), on the ground in Berlin: <<my biggest concern is the rising dew point that looks to be 52 or 53 for the race.>>
                            So this is a bigger concern than the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              So this is a bigger concern than the wind?
                              Dew point is actually a bigger issue than straight humidity and/or temperature issues. As to the wind, is it supposed to be windy or was that just a general question?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                                Dew point is actually a bigger issue than straight humidity and/or temperature issues. As to the wind, is it supposed to be windy or was that just a general question?
                                It was supposed to be windy, the last time I checked. But that might have changed by now.

Comment

Working...
                                X