Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More notes regarding the pacing. Apparently the three main protagonists can't agree on what the halfway split should be.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/09/...rlin-marathon/

Comment

Here I sit at my computer, snacks at the ready, prepared to watch NBCSN's coverage, when lo and behold, I discover I'm one whole DAY early!!

Talk about anticipation!!
      LOL

Comment

Well, sadly, life requires that I sleep from 2-4am tonight, otherwise I'll be having a whole lot of time to talk about running but no money to ever go to a meet....but i'll definitely be checking the results as soon as I wake up Sunday morning.
        I would love to see a WR, this is the best field ever time-wise, but looks like they'll be fighting the weather a bit and possibly racing rather than time-trialing the last 10k

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          Here I sit at my computer, snacks at the ready, prepared to watch NBCSN's coverage, when lo and behold, I discover I'm one whole DAY early!!

Talk about anticipation!!
          LOL
          What snacks are appropriate for marathon watching? Gookinaid as a beverage?
          wineturtle
          Last edited by wineturtle; 09-23-2017, 04:18 PM.
          Tom Hyland:
          "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

"To help the pacers stay on track, the organizers will use a lead car provided by race sponsor BMW with two different timing displays. The upper display will be larger and will show the traditional running time of the race. But the lower display will be connected to a laptop computer running an application which will translate the pacers’ current pace to minutes and seconds per kilometer so they can adjust their speed as needed."

That sounds like my iPad application that projects final times from average pace and also from the pace of the most recent segment. Of course, this is going to update much more often, so they will get feedback very frequently.

There are three elite pacemakers, and the three main contenders do not agree on the pace, so perhaps they will pair off. Kipchoge want 60:45 at halfway, but Bekele said, "1:00:45 has no place in my plans." Kipsang mentioned s.t. more like 1:01 to 1:01:10.

Last year, Bekele fell back of Kipsang but was able to recover and finish stronger, covering the last 2195 meters from 40K to the finish in 6:08 to Kipsang's 6:17. Kipchoge finished in 6:16 in his London 2:03:05. (6:08, BTW, is sub-1:58 pace for the whole distance.)

I hope that the coverage is good, and that the NBC Gold feed does not break for commercials. Perhaps they will show the pace truck, with its dual displays. Deliver us from Craig Masback!
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by americantrackfan View Post
              Well, sadly, life requires that I sleep from 2-4am tonight, otherwise I'll be having a whole lot of time to talk about running but no money to ever go to a meet....but i'll definitely be checking the results as soon as I wake up Sunday morning.
              I assume you are recording the NBCSN coverage? Or, if you had the NBC Gold package you could watch it Sunday after you get up, remaining ignorant of the result.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank

Comment

Lord Coe and the various meet organizers are always trying to come up with novelty events to attract more casual (or non-) fans to watch the sport. Here is my suggestion: a 2195-meter race. Why? Because that is the distance from the 40K point to the finish of the marathon. The times for this portion of the race vary pretty drastically, depending on the degrees of exhaustion the runners are in. For example, in the London WC marathon, winner Geoffrey Kirui covered the last 2195 in 6:51, 2:11:40 pace, while his final time was 2:08:27. Silver medalist Tamirat Tola, OTOH, was hanging on to his medal by a thread, finishing in 7:21, 2:21:18 pace, and 14th-placer Kaan Ozbilen took 8:44 to drag his body to the finish from 40K, 2:47:53 pace. The fastest finish was that of Yuki Kawauchi, who ran 6:41, 2:08:28 pace, compared to his finishing time of 2:12:19. For comparison, 2:03 marathon pace is 6:24 for the last 2195, which is 2:55 per kilo or 5:50 for 2 kilos (4:41.5 for a mile).

In the 2016 Berlin marathon, Kenenisa Bekele and Wilson Kipsang were at 1:56:55 and 1:56:56 at 40K, so Bekele finished in a very, very fast 6:08 (sub-1:58 pace) to Kipsang's 6:17, still very fast (2:00:47 pace). In his 2:03:05 London marathon in 2016, Eliud Kipchoge finished in 6:16, while 2nd-placer Stanley Biwott took 6:53, and Bekele 7:03.

The "2195" is, obviously, 195 meters farther than 2K, an event that is occasionally contested and has quite a history, with 124 men having broken 5:00, a much, much tougher barrier than the now-meaningless (except for high schoolers) 4-minute mile. The WR, 4:44.79 by (who else?) Hicham El Guerrouj, has been set over the years by the likes of Steve Cram, Said Aouita and Noureddine Morceli before El Guerrouj. If we apply the same rate of slow-down that we observe between 1500 and 2000 to the 2000-to-2195 difference, an equivalent to El Guerrouj's record would come out to about 5:25. Asbel Kiprop might pass 2000 in 4:58 and finish in 27 seconds for the last 195.

Since there is no global championship meet next year, it would be a good time to have the "2195" contested at a couple of the DL meets. I can imagine it would be a very good distance for Genzebe Dibaba and Ronald Kwemoi.

Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Wilson Kipsang has some interesting fans!!

Sally Pearson
                  Akani Simbine
                  & Wayde Van Niekerk

all tweeted to Wilson "Good Luck" wishes!!
                  LOL

Comment

Having been piqued by the Breaking2 documentary, I will watch my DVR recording of this when I get up in the morning. I am, of course, not at all interested in who wins, but I definitely want to watch how the 'breaking' occurs, both in terms of breaking the WR (apparently Vegas has the odds at 60%, I am much more skeptical), but the other breaking is how the leader breaks his opposition. Or . . . will it come down to a sprint? If it does, I'm still more interested in the time than who is the better sprinter. But sprinting at the end of a fast-paced marathon is still a thing of wonder.

P.S. I can't believe it will come down to a 'tactical' race, but if it does, I will have already deleted the program long before the 20th mile. I like T&F when the competitors go all out to win. And yes, the Centro win in Rio was the rare exception. I truly believe he was NOT the best 1500er in the field, but he sure was the smartest. I'm sure if he were not a Murkan, I would not have felt the same way, but that's the nature of the sport to me. Root for your countryman, but may the best win, and that day, on that pace, he 'deserved' the win.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      Wilson Kipsang has some interesting fans!!

Sally Pearson
                      Akani Simbine
                      & Wayde Van Niekerk

all tweeted to Wilson "Good Luck" wishes!!
                      LOL
                      Addidas made them do it.

Comment

Just to keep it interesting yesterday I placed a $500 prop bet: any body but Bekele. Think I win or lose?

Comment

Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                          Just to keep it interesting yesterday I placed a $500 prop bet: any body but Bekele. Think I win or lose?
                          At what odds?
                          Cheers,
                          Alan Shank

Comment

NBC Gold stream is LIVE!

Comment

Streets appear wet. Several pace cars with very large 00:00:00.
                              Looks like wheelchairs start first.

Comment

Wheelchairs under way! It looks very overcast.

Comment

Working...
                                X