• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good RACE on the men's side.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Cherono's finish was 7:37, 2:26:25 pace.
      Kipchoge finished in 6:24, 2:03:02 pace
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank

Comment

Glad I stayed up.
        Tom Hyland:
        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

The men's and women's paces were similar, in terms of getting a course record.
          The men were on 2:02:56 pace at 30K, when Kipsang and Kitwara dropped out, but slowed to 14:40 and then 15:04 for the next two 5K segments.

The women were on 2:19:12 average pace at 30K, but then slowed to 16:41 and 17:07.
          Kipchoge said it was a very hard marathon; he didn't know that Bekele and Kipsang had dropped out. He was surprised when Adola passed him.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Appears Milne didn't even run the race!!
            Just re-checked ALL the leaderboard splits---and Milne's name is GONE!!
            So either the leaderboard is all wrong, or ""Milne" doesn't exist!!!
            Or somebody entered the race using a pseudonym, like Stephen King once did when he wrote The Running Man as Richard Bachman, or like all the Alan Smithees in the movie industry.

Crap. :-P

Comment

Guye Adola has a 59:06 half and a 27:09.78 10,000 on the track at Eugene in 2016, 8th place.
              He was 10th in the Ethiopian 10,000 trials that year.
              This year, he had a 59:18 half to win the Roma-Ostia, and 28:14.19 10,000 in Hengelo, for 12th in the Ethiopian trial won by Hadis in 27:08.

I'm pretty sure he now has the fastest-ever marathon debut.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank

Comment

Some other notes and numbers on this race:

Adola goes from debut to #7 performer (#11 performance) a-t. It is the fastest debut. (But one could note, at least, as a footnote that M. Mosop's 2:03:06 at Boston in 2011 was his first marathon. Not trying to reintroduce some argument about the status of those marks -- I'm fine not counting them -- but I do prefer to remember them at least, and that was a pretty impressive debut.)

Regarding Kipchoge:
                His winning time today is #7 performance a-t.
                He is now in the group with E. Mutai, Kipsang, and Kimetto of those with more than one at sub-2:04 (Kipsang has 3).
                He has 5 of the top 20 marks a-t.
                His average of top 5 marks is 2:03:46.6
                His average of all of his (9) marks is 2:04:45.2
                He is 8 wins, 1 2nd in his 9 marathons.
                This was his second-narrowest margin of victory (in London 2015 he bested Kipsang by 5 seconds).

Looking around for who else has been most dominant in his top 10 marks (I realize Kipchoge has just 9 total as of now, but it's an OK comparison for today), Gebrselassie has 9 wins and 1 3rd in his top 10 marks. Kipsang 7 wins, 2 2nd, 1 3rd.

Comment

Some other notes from further down in the top 10 -- some good performances, given that conditions, while not bad, were not ideal (as they often are at Berlin):

Mosinet Geremew, 3rd 2:06:09 -- PB by about 4 minutes (2:10:20 Xiamen 2017, his debut).

Felix Kandie, 4th 2:06:13 -- His 2nd fastest, and second @ 2:06 this year.

Vincent Kipruto 5th 2:06:14 -- From his 2:05:47 win in Paris 2009 through his 2:06:15 win in Frankfurt 2013, he was among the top in the world, including a medal at Daegu. From 2014 to now, he has been a 2:09-2:13 performer, so this is a return to form for him.

Yuta Shitara 6th 2:09:02 -- He will give Japanese fans some hope of getting out of the 2:08-2:09 'rut' they have seen almost all of their top men in for the past 10 years. Shitara ran a Japanese NR 1:00:17 last weekend, which was also a PB for him by about a minute. This was just his 2nd marathon, the first being a 2:09:27 in Tokyo earlier this year. As reported on LetsRun's race report, Shitara has run very aggressively -- perhaps too much so -- in his two marathons, so perhaps if he remains healthy, is well-prepared, and races well, he can give Japanese fans something under 2:08 soon.

Liam Adams (AUS), 9th 2:12:52 -- PB by about a minute (Glasgow 2014 CWG 2:13:49)

Jonathan Mellor (GBR), 10th 2:12:57 -- PB by about 4 minutes (Frankfurt 2015, 2:16:48).

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
                    Glad I stayed up.
                    Glad I didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                      Glad I didn't.
                      Yeah, Fast-forwarded most of it, but liked the end when Kipchoge pulled away. He ran hard all the way and the time was excellent, so my 15 minutes of watching were well-spent.

Comment

• First, congrats to all who got up / stayed up in the middle of the night to watch live. I delay DVRd it. (I happened to awaken at 3 A.M. EDT and thought about it but simply went back to sleep.) As soon as I saw the temp and humidity at the beginning I doubted that the men's WR would fall. Late in the race I thought Adola was trying to get into Kipchoge's head by running so close to him. We've all seen closer races but the last 7K or so with Adola's two surges and Kipchoge's comebacks were riveting. .

Comment

• Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                          Just to keep it interesting yesterday I placed a $500 prop bet: any body but Bekele. Think I win or lose?
                          I will take my $750...cool $250 profit!

Comment

• Kipchoge continues to amaze. His response to Adola's gap was measured, and he just put the hammer down shortly after. With the weather what it was, this was an amazing performance. If we add the 2:00:25, he deserves a return to a Top 10 spot in the T&F AOY voting.

LetsRun is celebrating Kipchoge as the marathon GOAT. I would say there are three runners, all from different eras, who I consider the best; Bikila, Shorter, and Kipchoge, with Wanjiru as the close 4th.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post
                              Kipchoge continues to amaze. His response to Adola's gap was measured, and he just put the hammer down shortly after. With the weather what it was, this was an amazing performance. If we add the 2:00:25, he deserves a return to a Top 10 spot in the T&F AOY voting.

LetsRun is celebrating Kipchoge as the marathon GOAT. I would say there are three runners, all from different eras, who I consider the best; Bikila, Shorter, and Kipchoge, with Wanjiru as the close 4th.
                              Love Shorter but why would one consider him the GOAT?

Comment

• Eliud Kipchoge is simply absolutely sensational!

I have not taken a look at my all-time men's marathon top 10 in well over a decade, and obviously it needs an overhaul. Abebe Bikila is still my number 1, but I must say Kipchoge may have just earned himself a hard-to-achieve spot in my top 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X