Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any questions for Vin Lananna at San Diego stop Sunday?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any questions for Vin Lananna at San Diego stop Sunday?

Vin brings his listening tour to San Diego on Sunday morning, and I hope to cover this for Times of San Diego.

I expect he might talk about the problems with Mt. SAC venue for 2020 Trials (if lawsuit isn't resolved soon).
    A lawsuit filed last week by the city of Walnut says Mt. SAC’s stadium project lacks sufficient permits and a full-on environmental impact report.

Any other topics of current interest?

Details on Vin's visit:

USATF President Listening Tour
    Hosted by: USATF San Diego
    Sunday, October 8, 2017
    9:00am - 10:00am
    Milestone Running Shop
    2545 El Cajon Blvd, Suite D
    San Diego, CA 92104

K E N

Where the heck will be the 2018 Men’s and Women’s Championships? It is getting late.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
      Where the heck will be the 2018 Men’s and Women’s Championships? It is getting late.
      Good one! I would remove the work heck

1. Would you ask him about the possibility of marathon relay in the world championship (Ekiden type) please?

2. Would you suggest 2018 championship be divided (awarded) to big relay or per-Diomend meet?
      Penn Relay can have 3SC, 5 and 10k.
      Texas can get 100-400 and relays
      MtSac for throws
      Multis (one day deca/hep) the day before Pre meet

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Vin Lananna unfazed by threats to Trials, IAAF worlds

Vin Lananna brought his "listening tour" to San Diego on Sunday morning, which I attended and covered:

The president of track and field’s U.S. governing body took a calm attitude in laid-back San Diego when asked about threats to two major meets coming up.

He drove north to LA later in the day for the Southern California Association annual meeting, where he'd hold court again.

Main topic of conversation in San Diego — as with most places he goes — is how to grow USATF membership. He says he's "challenged himself" to get 1 million members (up from current 130,000).

In any case, I quizzed him afterward about the Mt SAC stadium suit and whether a Trump travel ban would affect 2021 IAAF worlds.

Also uploaded 48-minute audiotape of his chat/Q&A.

Took some nice photos, too.

K E N
        Last edited by KenStone; 10-09-2017, 01:41 AM. Reason: add audiotape note

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
          Good question, already seconded by GHM.

So ... I have a question for those who have been around this sport in the USA for a long time. If the USATF championships for 2018 were to be held in late June, that would mean as of now we are about 8 1/2 months away from those dates. I have read enough here to be aware of the all of the challenges of the process of selecting a site, local organization, money problems, volunteers, and on and on and on. This is not a question about all of those challenges and problems, but rather is a historical question, sort of: Does anyone remember other years when the date, site, etc. for the USATF championships is not even on the calendar, as of (probably) 8-9 months away from the probable date? Maybe this happens all the time, and I just never noticed. Or maybe this is the way it always is in the non-WC/OG year, and I just never noticed. I am just wondering if the (apparent) lack of plans for 2018, as of (perhaps) 8-9 months out, is something with well-established historical precedent, or if this is unusual.

Comment

not at all uncommon

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

to put a finer point on it, not at all uncommon in the one "off year" (no OG/WC) in the quadrennium.

There have been instances of using the promise of hosting one of the good years is the carrot that means a city has to host the off year as well.

Comment

it also speaks volume to complete lack of health in the domestic sport.

Comment

Originally posted by KenStone View Post
                    I expect he might talk about the problems with Mt. SAC venue for 2020 Trials (if lawsuit isn't resolved soon).
                    http://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/09/21...ium-at-mt-sac/.....
                    We're hearing that while all the problems haven't yet been ironed out, construction is ongoing and on schedule at Mt. SAC

Comment

Working...
                    X