Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that's a much more important record than the one which started the thread. 24 hrs. is an event that's regularly contested worldwide, and has its own WC.

BTW, it's Patrycja Bereznowska, not Patricia.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Regrets that my spell-check 'function' corrected Ms. Bereznowska's first name, and that I did not catch that before posting.

As for Camille Herron, she has now got several significant marks and championship wins: 2015 IAU 50km champion; 2015 IAU 100km champion; 2017 Comrades champion; 100 mile WR; and now this 24hr WR.

What impressed me as significant regarding the 100mile WR, even if the event is less meaningful, is that she broke the previous record by more than an hour. Also, iirc, it was her first 100 miler, as this was her first 24 hour race.

She is doing very well across a wide range of ultra distances.

Comment

Ms Herron lives in Edmond Ok. Had she run north on I-35 from OKC she would have finished about six miles north of Wichita, Kansas. Had she run south, two miles north of Denton, Texas. West on I-40, 2 miles east of Shamrock,Texas, east on I-40, two miles west of Arkansas state line.
        I don't know where I am going with that but danggg!

Comment

Just curious.. what sort of logistical support is provided/allowed in a 24 hour "race"?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
            Looks like Ms. Herron covered ~162.8 miles/262 km, thus surpassing the previous 24hr track best of 255.3 km (Mami Kudo, JPN 2011), and also by the way surpassing the 24 hr road best of 259.9 km (Patricia Bereznowska, POL 2017). Congratulations to her!
            I believe the previous US record was 159.3mi/256.4km for Courtney Dauwalter (on a track in Taipei on 02-03Dec17). Dauwalter was at Desert Solstice hoping to challenge Herron, but dropped out after 59 miles.

I'm not sure if it was linked on the home page, but last week the NY Times featured Dauwalter in a very long piece which posits that the longer the distance the smaller the biological advantages of men over women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/s...mile-race.html

Comment

Wamego: Thanks for the info on Dauwalter. Even though I follow ultrarunning with some interest, I am never certain if whichever records or a-t lists I am looking at are entirely up to date, and I had missed Dauwalter's mark. My error there.

Lonewolf: thanks for the 'starting from OKC' examples. I was thinking of such things where I live. As for the kind of support and other logistics, the athlete can have quite a lot of support -- it is really necessary in order to have any chance of doing well at all. This article describes it: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/24_Hour_Races

And, even though these events proceed at what seems like a leisurely pace, there is no question for me at least about the competition and the physical challenge.
              Last edited by Master Po; 12-10-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Master Po. I had no concept of what was involved in ultra long distance/time racing.
                Reinforces my philosophy that after one lap around a track you are just repeating yourself.

Comment

Let's think about what a commendable job the guys are doing keeping the lap count...I don't know but it's not likely they can use a gps tracker, normally the battery would be out, and the margin of error too large over such a long time. Probably old-fashioned manual counting is better, which requires patience as well as perseverance. They can't say "oh I lost my count so let's watch the video-replay..."

Comment

Speaking of lap counting 30 years ago Boulder had an indoor six day race...

An indoor six day race had been held a few weeks earlier in Boulder Colorado with some U. S. records being broken. Stu Mittleman had set a new Modern Day U.S. indoor record with 577 miles. Now Stu wanted to add the outdoor record and the New Astley Belt to his laurels.

http://silverstrider.com/the-endurance-champion-of-the-world/
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-11-2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Good report on the event here:

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-...d-broken/21601

Comment

Nice story on Herron here.

Camille Herron: US ultrarunner who breaks world records fuelled on tacos and beer

Comment

And now she breaks her own world record at 24-Hour World Championships in Albi, France. 270.116 km/167.84 miles.

https://runningmagazine.ca/uncategor...championships/

"For me it was puke and rally. I puked twice, and I had to dig really deep that last two and a half hours, because I wanted to go as high as I could, so I did it.”

Comment

My math may be off, but I think that's ~8:35/mile pace ... for 24 hours.

Comment

Well, I can still run a 10k at that pace, but not two of them and certainly not 27.

Wonder if the site is down because power outages; my kid at UCSC had had power out for two days until just a bit ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X