Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Felix Golden Declaration

Clearly Allyson Felix is one of the most revered athletes in T&F history. She has gained enormous respect for her actions on and off the track.

In a home-page-linked article she has declared her intent to win the 2020 Olympic 400 Gold.

”The Tokyo Olympics (in 2020) is my goal. I’m working towards that and I want to give it my all."

I think that some (many?) people will write her off as having passed her prime at 34.

I am not among them and I really don't think it's just my heart hoping. I think she has all the physical and mental tools, and the experience, to do it. I think she could not only go under her 49.26 PR, I think she is fully capable (still!) of breaking SRR's 48.70 AR.

The most trenchant argument is her having declared this 3 years out. Focus is key and a 3-year quest can bring all the focus she would need.

What think ye?

Father Time remains undefeated

Comment

A 3 year quest makes her 3 years older....

Comment

the other part of the equation is that the rest of the field doesn't stand still either. I suspect that at least one of the medalists in Tokyo is someone we've "never heard of before"

Comment

It's the heart talking. I'm not sure she makes the US team in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            indeed, but 34 is hardly decrepitude. Look at all the elites who have competed and excelled past 34. King Carl (an apt comparison) was that old when he won his 4th LJ title. Ottey was that old when she won her 200 WC Gold.

Felix is aging well and the 400 is more strength than speed, and strength can be held (and enhanced!) through one's 30s.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              Kim Collins would beg to differ. He only just retired this year, at 41, after having run a PR 9.93 at age 40.

[Yeah, I know; he needed nearly the maximum wind (+1.9) to go that fast.]

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Look at all the elites who have competed and excelled past 34. King Carl (an apt comparison) was that old when he won his 4th LJ title.
                But no longer qualifying for the national team in the sprints. And neither Lewis nor Ottey were world elite at the age of 18 like Felix was.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I think you have to look at the population for the event, quarter milers, rather than make comparisons with Lewis, Ottey or Collins. At the age of 34 she'd be breaking new ground. She can make the relay pool, but I doubt that she'd make an impact in the open 400. More credit to her for trying.

Comment

I'd like to say 'bookmark this page!', but that just brings back bad memories!

Comment

She's my favourite athlete of all-time, and, objectively speaking, one of the sport's giants, but she'll be 35 in the year of the Tokyo Olympics, and with young talent like Miller-Uibo, Francis, Naser, Okolo, Hayes, Jackson, and whoever will emerge between now and then, it's a tall order. She is quoted in the article as saying, "If it doesn’t happen, there are a lot of things to do after my running career," which, to me, sounds like a tone of realism, fully knowing that the goal is unlikely, but she'll give it her best effort and do what she can to achieve it.

However, as a true Felix fan, I would like to entertain the possibility of it happening. In order for it to happen, a few things need to be in place:

(1) Miller-Uibo (and everyone else) has to stay within striking range for Felix. If Miller-Uibo hovers around 49.4 for the next three years, Felix has a chance.

(2) Injury-free! One more serious injury and it might well be a curtain call for Felix.

(3) Pace. She she needs to construct a race strategy that is comfortable for her, and that she adheres to regardless of what goes on around her. I suspect she went off to quickly in Rio and certainly in London at the WCs, but that London DL race was fantastic, and if she can deliver races like that one in the future, with a faster final 200m, she's in good stead.

(4) Timing. For her next two major championships (Doha 2019, Tokyo 2020) she'll have to peak twice in the season - at the trials, then at the championship. That's an arduous task for a woman who's getting deeper into her 30s. If she can manage to get the timing of her peaks right, she gives herself a place in the final, and once you have that, anything can happen.

Comment

I wonder how the IAAF ranking system will come into play, considering Felix already doesn't compete very frequently now, let alone at 34.

Comment

If nothing else, I would think she would be competitive enough to be a strong leg on the 4x400 and help Team USA get gold there.

Comment

I don't understand criticizing the most decorated track and field female ever for having goals.

Comment

criticizing? I only see dispassionate analysis here, which is what the board should be all about.

Comment

Working...
                              X