Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 road records to disappear

no, not be broken; the IAAF has removed them from its list of acceptable events:

15K, 20K, 25K & 30K

Originally posted by gh View Post
    no, not be broken; the IAAF has removed them from its list of acceptable events:

15K, 20K, 25K & 30K
    Have the parameds been dispatched to aaronk's home?

Comment

Good decision. All the distances are hardly ever run, and there was no real point to them being officially recognized. The WRs were usually just splits recorded in HM/ marathon anyway.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

15K, 20K, 25K & 30K
        With the rise of the HMar as a legit race, these other distances are obsolete. I am mildly surprised that 15K is gone. There are several big ones every year, incl. our own River Run, the USATF Championship for the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          With the rise of the HMar as a legit race, these other distances are obsolete.
          They're not even obsolete. With the possible exception of the 20k, they were never relevant in the first place.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Sensible decision for me as well. Seems quite strange to me that they weren't removed from the list earlier. Over the years, I seem to recall the Japanese showing some interest in the 30k but very little elsewhere. It has never been prestigious enough for many runners to bother with it whilst being too far to run very often.

Comment

For years I argued against "non-standard" WR races because they tended to be gimmicks and the sport should be above using such fakery to create buzz.

We've now fallen far enough off the map that I think the IAAF (and USATF) should actually be increasing the number of WR events. Not to Guiness-like levels, but certainly more than there are now.

Records sell, even if they're just "records"

Comment

Records and championships create interest, if done properly. IAAF/USATF fails to do things properly.

Comment

For years I argued against "non-standard" WR races because they tended to be gimmicks and the sport should be above using such fakery to create buzz.

We've now fallen far enough off the map that I think the IAAF (and USATF) should actually be increasing the number of WR events. Not to Guiness-like levels, but certainly more than there are now.

Records sell, even if they're just "records"
                  We agree....again!
                  (What is this world coming to??)

That last sentence (of yours) could describe my blog's (& Record Book's) raison d'etre!!
                  LOL

Comment

By that logic, we should have records for 110m, 120m, 130m...., SP with 4,5,6,7,8 kg and so on.
                    Only the right records sell and create interest, a 25km WR isn't worth more than a couple of lines in most newspapers.

Comment

Makes sense since they can save some money on plagues.

Comment

Tom Fleming must be turning over in his grave.

I agree that more is better than less in this case. Just as the occasional 300, 600, 1000, or 2,000 on the outdoor track creates interest and can create match-ups.

Comment

no, not be broken; the IAAF has removed them from its list of acceptable events: 15K, 20K, 25K & 30K
                          Are we talking about track races?

Comment

"standard" terminology is to refer to track races in meters (10,000m, 15,000m, etc., etc.) and road races in kilos (10K, 15K, etc., etc.)

Comment

I have no problem with odd distances, what's been bothering me is that those 'records' are usually recorded en route, which means they do not actually record the real limit of the record setters' ability!

Comment

Working...
                              X