Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American wMarathon Year End Rankings

It seems to me the top three should be Flanagan - Cragg - Hasay.

In terms of honors won and competition, winning New York is huge, especially gapping Keitany by a minute over the last 5 miles. I would put Cragg's WC bronze ahead of Hasay's Chicago bronze.

Am I missing anyone? Would Hall be 4th?

Thanks for starting this thread, bobguild76. I have been thinking about this question, but had not posted it. It has been one of the best years for USA women's marathoning -- in some ways the best -- with 9 athletes producing 14 sub-2:30 marks. So, something more than usual to think about regarding rankings.

The top 3 also raise some classic rankings questions: fast marks & victories, championship & non-championships. I really value championships, usually over marks, but victories matter most here, so I would also put Flanagan at the top. After that I can't decide re Cragg and Hasay. I would tend to rank as you did, but Hasay has two fast marks (which were also podium finishes), and those marks are meaningful on the USA a-t list. So, I don't know on 2 & 3.

I do think Sara Hall is #4. Even though Davila, Thweatt, & Burla all ran faster, Hall has 3 at 2:27-2:28, which are the 8, 9, & 10 annual marks, and they include a 7th at Tokyo & 5th at Frankfurt, both which were IAAF 'Gold Label' races. And she topped it off with another 2:28 at Sacramento. I realize that's a potentially fast course, and it was an ideal day, and field that did not include any of the other sub-2:30 women from this year, but neverthelss Hall led that wire-to-wire, and won by 2 1/2 minutes. So, she's my #4. After Hall, I would take Davila, Thweatt and Burla at 5, 6, & 7 (Burla also having a second sub-2:30). Kellyn Johnson and Allie Kieffer would be 8 & 9, in some order. Johnson was faster, and had 2 at sub-2:30, but Kieffer beat her at NYC. I would round it off with Roberta Groner, as she is #10 on the performer list, and she was 2nd at Sacramento.
    Master Po
    Last edited by Master Po; 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I would place Kieffer higher than 9th.
      Not sure exactly where, but definitely better than 9th!

HUGE improvement, and 5th in loaded NY field---1 second ahead or behind of Edna Kiplagat!!

ADD: She was 3 seconds behind Kiplagat!
      aaronk
      Last edited by aaronk; 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Well, I would be inclined to rank Kieffer 8th, which is higher than 9th.

But semi-seriously, I couldn't put her above Hall, Davila, Thweatt, Burla. They also placed well in big races. In addition to Hall (mentioned above), Davila was 4th at Boston with her 2:25:06; Thweatt was 6th at London with her 2:25:38; and Burla was 4th at Osaka with her 2:26:53, and 11th at WC with her 2:29:32. Those are also big races, and similarly competitive finishes to Kieffer at NYC. Like you, I was excited by Kieffer's great improvement and performance at NYC, but no way would I put her above any of those 4, so 8th is for me as high as she would be ranked.

And now that I look at Burla's two performances again, I might re-think my own rankings and put her higher than 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post

And now that I look at Burla's two performances again, I might re-think my own rankings and put her higher than 7th.
          Listened to a Carrie Tollefson podcast with Burla (recorded Nov 13) where she said her 2nd cancer discovery came just days before the WC race, but she delayed treatment to run the race!
          So her 11th there gains even more weight!

Comment

I made this post just before getting in bed last night, and as I fell asleep the word "Boston" kept floating in my head. Thanks, Master Po, for adding that to Hasay's resume. Two podium finishes, both in fast times, says a lot on her behalf, but I think the strength of the field at the WC lends weight to Cragg's bronze. So I would still put Cragg at #2, although it is very close.

Comment

I will put Hasay no 2 just because she's now the second fastest American of all time. That's very impressive in just her second marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                I will put Hasay no 2 just because she's now the second fastest American of all time. That's very impressive in just her second marathon.
                I would agree - I think that and her New York / Boston podiums edge her in front of Cragg, although I realize the rankers prefer major events and will rank the WC more highly

Comment

of all the WC events, the marathon is typically the lowest regarded; frequently not as significant as many/most WMM events

Comment

How weak is this field? (All finished behind Cragg.)

Flomena Cheyech Daniel - Commonwealth Games and Paris champion 2:21: 22.
                    Shure Demise - 2:20:59. (Junior World Record.)
                    Eunice Kirwa - Olympic silver medalist, three time Nagoya champion 2:21:17.
                    Helah Kiprop - Tokyo champion 2:21:27.
                    Mare Dibaba- 2015 World Champion, Olympic bronze medalist, 2:19:52.
                    Berhane Dibaba- Tokyo champion 2:21:19.
                    Aselefech Mergia - London champion, world bronze medalist, 2:19:31.

Comment

Thank you for posting these stats, TN1965. There were 10 women in that field with PBs of 2:21 or faster. I suppose the WC marathons are not highly regarded, but if that many top female marathoners are in a race, this specific WC marathon is worth some consideration. That's a deeper field than most of the majors.

Comment

WCs in London are likely to be more appealing to top runners than ones in Dubai, where the top runners are likely to stay away in droves.

Comment

I agree. I expect Dubai to be as you say. Just to be clear: I was making a comment specific to the London WC. One would have to look at each WC and compare it to other marathons in that year, for starters, to get any idea of strength of field (in the context of that year). In any case the London WC race compares well, this year. And so -- return to topic -- Cragg's bronze is worth some rankings respect, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            How weak is this field? (All finished behind Cragg.)

Flomena Cheyech Daniel - Commonwealth Games and Paris champion 2:21: 22.
                            Shure Demise - 2:20:59. (Junior World Record.)
                            Eunice Kirwa - Olympic silver medalist, three time Nagoya champion 2:21:17.
                            Helah Kiprop - Tokyo champion 2:21:27.
                            Mare Dibaba- 2015 World Champion, Olympic bronze medalist, 2:19:52.
                            Berhane Dibaba- Tokyo champion 2:21:19.
                            Aselefech Mergia - London champion, world bronze medalist, 2:19:31.
                            credentials from previous years have no impact on a current year's rating.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              credentials from previous years have no impact on a current year's rating.
                              The same goes for the credentials of runners Hasay beat in Boston and Chicago.

Comment

Working...
                              X