Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add the 40 and 60 to outdoor track?

I hate sounding like i'm being repetitive. But maybe there really isn't that great of an interest in track and field as other sports because it's not really that exciting. The 100 gets the most attention. Does that tell you something?

Which event gets the most attention ? The 100 or the mile? Or the 100 or the marathon?

I mean the only thing I can offer you all is solutions to these problems. And I have to be repetitive because not everyone reads everyone comment that I post. New people sign up here all of the time. That's another reason for the repetitiveness.

Track and field is disproportionately stacked on the distance side. The side that gets no attention than it is on the side that gets fans. And that's the sprint side.

You all should be asking everyone that you know to add in the 40 yard dash and 60 meter dash to outdoor track and field.

Adding more exciting events means more money and more fans. It's really a simple concept.

The broad jump and vertical jump needs to be added as well. Having 3 NFL combine events in outdoor track and field would make it more exciting.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Exhibit A in my case for his domination of any football player in the 40.
    You can't compare him to NFL players though. Yeah it's impressive for a 170lbs or less sprinter but you have to remember that NFL players are 190 or more for the most part. Running 21lbs or more heavier makes a huge difference. You can't compare him to NFL players. And I don't have his exact weight but someone mentioned he was 150 or so. So i'm going with 170 and below for now.

Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash at 6'2 and 258-264lbs. That to me is more impressive. That's an unofficial world record for the fastest 40 yard dash ever ran at weights over 250lbs.

Multiple other NFL players over 260lbs have ran in the 4.4's and 4.5's in the 40. It's really not that impressive watching a 170lb or less sprinter run that fast.

Plus Bolt has still clocked a calculated unofficial 6.29 or 6.30 on his way to a world record of 9.58. So in my mind it's not even a world record for the 60.

Comment

I disagree. The obesity is out of equation when assessing the speed. Shaquille O'Neal running 100m in 15 secs is not interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RK View Post
        The era of "bulked up and heavy muscled sprinters" is over. Maurice Greene and Michael Johnson with his notorious upright upper body posture are being surpassed by much lighter, skinny sprinters such as Christian Coleman and Wayde Van Niekerk. The trend is rather obvious.
        And why do you think that is? The constant jogging and sprinting over 60 meters have caused that. Anything over 60meters prohibits protein synthesis within the muscle fibers thus causing them to become smaller and weaker due to a lactic acid buildup within the body. Right around 60 meters is the mark where lactic acid starts to build up. So when you almost double that and are running 100 meter dashes all year long then this is the end result.

One of the biggest sprinters in track Harry Aikines is like 215 or something and even he is seeing the end result of constant lactic acid buildup. And i'm just going out of my way to say 215 to cover any weight gain. Because in alot of places he's listed at only 198 or something. I noticed this with a few athletes such as Ryan Bailey being listed as 200-217lbs but then he posts a 40 yard dash on twitter about him running a 4.06 at 230lbs. So some of the weights are off. And gaining 10lbs or so is really not that hard to do.

I watched Harry on youtube only benching like 350 and struggling with it. For someone with that type of body, if he didn't do track and just focused on training like an NFL linebacker then he would have no problem getting his body weight to over 260lbs with the way that he lifts and his bench would be way over 480lbs as most NFL players benches are.

See the thing that's holding Aikines back is the fact that he has to run the 100 and he thinks he's already too big for the 100 thus he's watching his weight he mentioned. The 100 is too far for people to maintain at bodyweights over 230lbs. So you have to be skinny to run track. It's the way that track and field is designed. Because the 100 is not a sprint. It's a long distance sprint. The 100 is deceptive.

And Maurice Greene wasn't even big, neither was Michael Johnson. Johnson only looked big. He was only like 177-190lbs at 6'1. That's not what you call big. If you call 190-209lbs big then go ahead.

NFL linebackers and tight ends are blowing away any 60 meter or 100 meter dash runner out there in overall speed, strength, and power. And I don't care that they are not as fast. The fact that they have to carry more body weight makes it that more impressive.
        Matt_London_413
        Last edited by Matt_London_413; 01-23-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RK View Post
          I disagree. The obesity is out of equation when assessing the speed. Shaquille O'Neal running 100m in 15 secs is not interesting to me.
          Type in Vernon Davis or Greg Jones the one that played at FLorida State University on google. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked they weren't fat. And neither are thousands upon thousands of former NFL or present NFL linebackers and tightends.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_London_413 View Post
            The broad jump and vertical jump needs to be added as well. Having 3 NFL combine events in outdoor track and field would make it more exciting.
            Let's just get rid of T&F altogether in the Olympics and just go with the Combine events. Even more exciting!

Comment

add the 40 and 60 to outdoor track?

Let's just get rid of T&F altogether in the Olympics and just go with the Combine events. Even more exciting!
              The funny thing about it is 3 these events would generate more fans than the 100 meter dash has in the history of the sport.

Nobody really cares about track and field. I'm trying to help you all out by giving you simple solutions.

It's up to you all if you want to listen or not.

Comment

The funny thing about it is 3 these events would generate more fans than the 100 meter dash has in the history of the sport.

Nobody really cares about track and field. I'm trying to help you all out by giving you simple solutions.

It's up to you all if you want to listen or not.

I disagree. There is a subset of USA sports fans that like football. There are a lot of them, but still a subset. Amongst them are a smaller subset that cares about the combine. Of those, there are some that favor the standing jumps and 40. Others may prefer the cone drills, shuttle runs, bench press, or even the position specific drills.

The rest of the sports world in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, the majority of North America, and those scientists in Antarctica don't give two shits about those three combine events. They would add any new fans in significant numbers long term and would probably drive current fans away for any number of reasons.

Comment

Nobody really cares about track and field.
                  Tafny!!

Then what the F*** are you doing HERE??!!

Comment

You can't compare him to NFL players though. Yeah it's impressive for a 170lbs or less sprinter but you have to remember that NFL players are 190 or more for the most part. Running 21lbs or more heavier makes a huge difference. You can't compare him to NFL players. And I don't have his exact weight but someone mentioned he was 150 or so. So i'm going with 170 and below for now.
                    This reminds me of the nfl.com's evaluation of Dre Archer, the third fastest player in Combine history who is similarly built:

Very short and rail thin with no strength or running power. Not a tackle-breaker and goes down easy on contact. Limited inside runner. Can be knocked off routes easily and struggles catching on contact. . . . . . Very marginal, underpowered blocker. Could stand to do a better job securing the ball in traffic. Is not ideally built to withstand a full NFL season.

Bottom Line Explosive playmaker lacking requisite size for the pro game. . . . . . Long-term durability is greatest concern given tiny frame.
                    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...her?id=2543596

Comment

Is Matt not aware horizontal and vertical jumps are already included in most T&F competitions?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                        Is Matt not aware horizontal and vertical jumps are already included in most T&F competitions?
                        He's speaking of the standing versions.

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                          He's speaking of the standing versions.
                          OK. I think Ray Ewery retired those in 1900-06..of course that was before football combine testing.

Comment

add the 40 and 60 to outdoor track?

this stuff was polluting a legitimate Christian Coleman thread

Comment

You're trying to kill a good trolling effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X