Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, a reason why Jess Peris was missing from the trials.

Oh dear...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/commonw...6ec5938bc1f274

Comment

It appears that Daniela Roman has not been selected despite running 56.59 for the 400IH which is well under the B standard for Australia.

Is it correct (fair) to assume she is paying the price for her meltdown in the 100H?

Comment

She appears to be about 15th in the Commonwealth for the past 12 months, if you take out 6 of the 9 Jamaicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
          It appears that Daniela Roman has not been selected despite running 56.59 for the 400IH which is well under the B standard for Australia.

Is it correct (fair) to assume she is paying the price for her meltdown in the 100H?
          She had a DQ (unsporting behaviour) after her Drummond-act in the 100H and competed in the 400H under a yellow card, so looks like they may have DQ'd her further results from the meet but - of course - AA don't bother giving anybody useful information, just their 'greatest ever nationals' spin.

Comment

Are there more selections to come? I can't find a date for a final team announcement anywhere on AA's site. Auto nominations from trials were confirmed on Monday. There must still be discretionary spots up for grabs - the athletics quota is 111 for these CGs and the team numbers about half that at the moment, so I'd say even after all the relay squads have been picked there's likely to be a spot left for Roman and others who finished top two and had B qualifiers (like Browning in the men's 100), in addition to some of the other mainstays who have A qualifiers but missed trials for one reason or another (Solomon, Lacaze, Frayne, etc).
            Last edited by typpo; 02-20-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by typpo View Post
              Are there more selections to come? .
              There have to be - not even any mention of relays so far - but (as above) who would know with the lack of information via the AA channels and very little intelligent reporting in the mainstream media now that Hurst & Johnson are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster View Post
                Great run and she looks to be coming along well. Who coaches her?
                Donna Thomas has been coaching her since she was nine according to media reports. Apparently, Day started in Little As in Beaudesert in Qld and their website shows Thomas as one of the coaches. Sounds like the next Sharon Hannan? [/internetsleuthing]

Comment

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sprinter...ng-test-flawed

Comment

Although I can no evidence of it on the Aths Australia website or social media, it appears the full squad for Comm Games has been announced. Only know because the appeals are coming in, which indicate the following:
                    M100m: Williams, Browning, Clarke (Hale appealing)
                    M800m: Matthews, Ralph, Deng (Riseley appealing)
                    W800m: Small added!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...21-p4z13k.html

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                      Although I can no evidence of it on the Aths Australia website or social media
                      Ridiculous isn't it?

Honestly it's funny/not funny that about 20yrs ago both AS & I got mentioned in our press as the 'best of the best' sports websites at the time. 20yrs later actual news about our sport is much less available even though technology has improved a million times since then.
                      Last edited by Vault-emort; 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                        Honestly it's funny/not funny that about 20yrs ago both AS & I got mentioned in our press as the 'best of the best' sports websites at the time. 20yrs later actual news about our sport is much less available even though technology has improved a million times since then.
                        For the last 20 years people have always told me that my efforts are the "worst of the worst" and that tech improvements have only amplified that by a million. Be greatful you're not me!

Comment

I thought I saw it on their Facebook feedback but going back it appears I was wrong and all I had was this: http://athletics.com.au/News/austral...am-takes-shape

Is there an actual list somewhere or is this just the appeals, using the media to influence your appeal isn't new so I guess they're 'airing' that first and then providing a full list? I thought things had improved lately, the streaming was great this season, allowing those of us as overseas Aussies to enjoy it.

Hale is injured and unless he can return to 10.2 in an open race, then I am not sure what else selectors could do?

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                            Donna Thomas has been coaching her since she was nine according to media reports. Apparently, Day started in Little As in Beaudesert in Qld and their website shows Thomas as one of the coaches. Sounds like the next Sharon Hannan? [/internetsleuthing]
                            Sounds like it and a similar rise for MGT and Jackie Byrnes.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                              Although I can no evidence of it on the Aths Australia website or social media, it appears the full squad for Comm Games has been announced. Only know because the appeals are coming in, which indicate the following:
                              M100m: Williams, Browning, Clarke (Hale appealing)
                              M800m: Matthews, Ralph, Deng (Riseley appealing)
                              W800m: Small added!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...21-p4z13k.html
                              Hale's injury at trials kind of forced the selectors' hands in the 100, otherwise I daresay he would've gotten the nod over Clarke no matter where he finished. Deng's selection over Riseley is puzzling but obviously done with an eye to the future. Still, a pity they put more weight towards a time-trial performance rather than the ability to make it through championship rounds. Small blew up and ran 2.13 in the final at trials and hasn't come near her 2.01 form of last year. De La Motte has a B and finished ahead of her last weekend. AA's lack of information seems pretty deliberate. Appeals played out in public have turned nasty in the past and I'm sure the governing body is looking to avoid a similar shitstorm in the lead-up to a home Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                                200 (-2.1) Hartman 20.57
                                By AUS standards I would rate that performance as exceptional and a harbinger of something good to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X