Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Coverage US Track & Field

I would like to see the TV presenters stop talking about records that might be set during their telecasts.

They raise unreasonable expectations and serve only to let down the viewing audience if records are not broken.

Championship meets are about winning titles not breaking records.

These people know this, but apparently their directors do not.

Time for them to step up to the plate and be more professional.

Also, can somebody please tell Sanya Richards that her job is to provide color and background and not to predict winners.

We are all there to see who wins. Until races are run, nobody knows who is going to win.

That's part of the joy of watching a track meet.

If all the winners were known in advance and were that predictable, track meets would be boring.

I'm not even disappointed I wasn't able to watch USATF indoors, the pain of the broadcast would have been too much. I'm mentally preparing myself for 2 days of larry rawson at NCAAs next month, I ususally mute him at least half the time.

Comment

Yes talk about WRs at meets is very annoying but today was very apropo

Comment

Huge thumbs up to Tim Hutchings on the NBC Gold broadcast. Yes, there were minor (mostly technical) errors, but overall an "A" effort compared to the NBCSN broadcast. Being on the air for 5 straight hours two consecutive days is no easy task, especially during the fill time when nothing was going on and juggling the commentary between live field and track events was commendable.

Comment

On the NBC Gold live stream, during the W LJ, Tim Hutchings, Carmelita Jeter and Dan O'Brien were joined by Olympic champion Tianna Bartoletta. After a bunch of Jeter and Bartoletta patting each other on the back over their WR-setting 40.82 for the 4x100, Hutchings asked Bartoletta some good questions (a rarity) about the LJ. She not only addressed his questions (also a rarity), her answers constituted the best commentary I've ever heard from a former or current athlete. She described the difference between herself and Brittney Reese as jumpers and got quite technical about takeoff. At one point, she apologized for sounded like a "nerd". When Tianna hangs them up, here's hoping NBC hires her to do commentary. She sounded as much like a coach as an athlete. So often, athletes do not seem to have a deep understanding of their events, just following their coaches blindly, but Bartoletta knows what she is doing, and why.

When O'Brien went downstairs to do mindless interviews for the NBCSN broadcast, another guy joined the commentary team, Rob something. The day before, I think I mistook him for Josh Cox. He was pretty bad, IMO, reminded me of one of the FloTrack guys. He didn't seem to be aware of what's been going on in Europe at all. During the M SP, he seemed to have no idea that Stanek and Bukowiecki have thrown 22 recently.

High marks, overall, though, for the NBC Gold coverage, especially the split-screen views when a race was on and they wanted to show a field attempt. I hope this becomes a regular feature, so I don't have to grind my teeth when they cut away from a distance race in the middle.

BTW, Hutchings had kind of a bad day (for him), possibly because of the long hours; he completely wrote off Drew Windle in the 800, not noticing at all that Windle was coming on strong and ended up 2nd; he mis-identified Javianne Oliver as Dezerea Bryant, even after the results were posted. Still, he asked good questions of Jeter and O'Brien; not his fault that their answers were very weak.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post

When O'Brien went downstairs to do mindless interviews for the NBCSN broadcast, another guy joined the commentary team, Rob something.
            I didn't see the entire NBCSN broadcast but Paul Swangard was doing the on the field interviews for that portion of the broadcast. Why he isn't doing play by play instead of Rick Allen I'm not sure.

"Rob" was likely Rob Vermillion
            Last edited by NotDutra5; 02-19-2018, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Jeter was hard to take after a while. She repeats herself and much of it was inane.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Jeter was hard to take after a while. She repeats herself and much of it was inane.
                As it was her first time as a commentator, I hesitate to criticize--it is not an easy job.

But I do not recommend playing a drinking game based upon the number of times she used the word "execute."

Comment

Reporter to John McKay, Coach of the inaugural year of the Tampa Bay Buccanneers:

"Coach, what do you think of your team's execution?"

Coach McKay

"I'm all for it".

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                    I didn't see the entire NBCSN broadcast but Paul Swangard was doing the on the field interviews for that portion of the broadcast. Why he isn't doing play by play instead of Rick Allen I'm not sure.

"Rob" was likely Rob Vermillion
                    Never heard of him.
                    Thanks,
                    Alan Shank

Comment

I am curious about this phenomenon I experienced with Saturday coverage. As our living room TV was occupied by the Olympics, I attempted to watch the nationals online. On Chrome and Opera I got black screens, but had no problem connecting to the webcast on Edge. Anybody has an explanation?
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try the on-line method next time, because watching the telecast is not very rewarding. BTW, I have always found Tina Bartoletta to be absolutely the most articulate T & F athletes I've ever heard. She is a joy to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                          I am curious about this phenomenon I experienced with Saturday coverage. As our living room TV was occupied by the Olympics, I attempted to watch the nationals online. On Chrome and Opera I got black screens, but had no problem connecting to the webcast on Edge. Anybody has an explanation?
                          I have used Chrome on both Windows and iMac with no problems at all, also the NBC Gold app on iPad.
                          Cheers,
                          Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                            I have no explanation as to the why's involved but Edge works best for me for streaming anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                              Never heard of him.
                              Thanks,
                              Alan Shank
                              I think he's a former middle distance runner at UOregon.

Comment

Working...
                              X