Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Ball State to cut men's track & field

Yes, fundraising is a tough proposition. However, that's why they call it a job. The AD position is no longer the 1970's job of patting a few backs and showing up at several contests. Maybe basing a portion of the salary on fundraising could motivate a few (maybe I said). It can be done. My real point was that few see it that way. They look for the easy way out which is cutting back and continuing to poor into football with hopes that the MAC will catch on and the ESPN contract is around the corner. The idea of mid-majors reinventing themselves and redirecting goals is an excellent idea. One stumbling block you may have overlooked is the agenda of most coaches. Many see nearly every position as the next stepping stone to the Stanford, Florida, or Tennessee job. Shooting for quad meets and conference finishes will not pad their resume with misleading individual invitational champs & numbers of NCAA qualifiers. Most coaches at mid-majors are secure enough with themselves and their positions to go for that idea.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>The problem of track programs being cut is an
    >economic one, obviously, but I think it
    >underscores the need for collegiate track & field
    >to reinvent itself (or try to go back to what it
    >once was).

Ball State is/was never going to
    >challenge for a national championship. Nor is any
    >MAC school. But they schedule their seasons just
    >like some SEC school with national title hopes.
    >Boring invitationals. One big relay meet or two.
    >Conference.

Now I know that such schools, with
    >limited scholarship numbers, can't field a dual
    >team the likes of UCLA in the '70's, but I feel
    >they can develop some sort of meaningful
    >competition that will get alumni, fans and
    >students at least somewhat interested in the
    >program.

Such conferences should look at the
    >situation and say, "Heck, forget trying to
    >qualify a few athletes for the NCAA meet. Let's
    >develop a schedule that generates some excitement
    >for our team and local area. Something that will
    >have the track team in the papers every
    >week."

Is this the answer to all problems for
    >mid-level track teams? Of course not, but it's a
    >start, IMHO.

Great points, DL. However, just for the record, changing college track to that radical a degree will be tough. Just look at all the whining some coaches have done about adding regionals. Imagine the wailing and crying if you tried to rework the entire collegiate season.

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

The problem of track programs being cut is an economic one, obviously, but I think it underscores the need for collegiate track & field to reinvent itself (or try to go back to what it once was).

Ball State is/was never going to challenge for a national championship. Nor is any MAC school. But they schedule their seasons just like some SEC school with national title hopes. Boring invitationals. One big relay meet or two. Conference.

Now I know that such schools, with limited scholarship numbers, can't field a dual team the likes of UCLA in the '70's, but I feel they can develop some sort of meaningful competition that will get alumni, fans and students at least somewhat interested in the program.

Such conferences should look at the situation and say, "Heck, forget trying to qualify a few athletes for the NCAA meet. Let's develop a schedule that generates some excitement for our team and local area. Something that will have the track team in the papers every week."

Is this the answer to all problems for mid-level track teams? Of course not, but it's a start, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Rational, Here is an idea. Maybe instead of
    >cutting sports, AD's can generate more money.
    >The collegiate AD postion has evolved into one
    >of a glorified fundraiser. However, many AD's,
    >being ex-coaches, have no experience with this
    >and want no part of it. Many see the position
    >of AD as a post-coaching gravy job where they
    >stand around smoking cigars with the present
    >coaches. When times get fiscally tough, they
    >don't know what to do and cut. The same can be
    >said in title IX issues. When the proper
    >balance is not there, an option is to ADD
    >women's sports/activities. It does not have to
    >be men's sports cut. Reality is the majority of
    >the AD jobs are going to unqualified individuals
    >who have some how 'earned' the position as a
    >result of their coaching career. Ross Perot's
    >quote in regards to the presidency fits here:
    >"What it takes to obtain this position has
    >s ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what it takes to
    >be successful in the position."

I agree with many of your points, and I have personally known some AD's who were in fact grossly unqualified for the job of chief athletic fundraiser (the subtitle to athletic director). However, one must acknowledge that fundraising is exceedingly tough, even for those trained in it. The options include sending your football team on the road 4 or 5 times a year to get spanked by the top 20 powerhouses for big paydays, but this choice has a downside because the losing that results gets coaches and AD's fired. They can sell more tickets, but if the team is losing, that's hard to do. They can seek private donations, but in this post 9-11 world and weak economy, this avenue is limited. With a recession upon us, corporate sponsorships are harder to come by. My point is that while there are some very unqualified AD's in this world, the solution of "just raise more money" is easier said than done.

Leave a comment:

• Trackshark
    replied

Below is an investigative report by the Indy Star in which suggest cuts are not needed to balance the budget of Ball State athletic department.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/ ... 5-036.html

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Rational, Here is an idea. Maybe instead of cutting sports, AD's can generate more money. The collegiate AD postion has evolved into one of a glorified fundraiser. However, many AD's, being ex-coaches, have no experience with this and want no part of it. Many see the position of AD as a post-coaching gravy job where they stand around smoking cigars with the present coaches. When times get fiscally tough, they don't know what to do and cut. The same can be said in title IX issues. When the proper balance is not there, an option is to ADD women's sports/activities. It does not have to be men's sports cut. Reality is the majority of the AD jobs are going to unqualified individuals who have some how 'earned' the position as a result of their coaching career. Ross Perot's quote in regards to the presidency fits here: "What it takes to obtain this position has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what it takes to be successful in the position."

Leave a comment:

• Trackshark
    replied

After talking to many of the athletes today, this is what they have planned so far after just a couple days:

-- Ball State sprinter Scott Allen started an on-line petition, as you can find it below:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bsutnf/

-- Many of the athletes were interviewed by a local news station out of Indianapolis about the situation and voiced their opinion.

-- The team will start up a website about the proposed cuts and truth in why it's being done (will be on-line soon).

-- According to one of the athletes, only 2 of the 13 trustees voted to eliminate the sports mentioned to the AD. Another official told me this "decision" was made several months ago, not this week as the local media and administration will tell you.

In other words, as someone I think mentioned earlier, what people are most upset about is the way the administration is handling this. If it was up to them, as one current Ball State athlete told me, they would not tell anyone and simply sweep it under the rug. However, their plan of keeping it secret until their proposed announcement on July 18th failed.

Of course, more details will arise...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Unless the University of Houston makes an inexplicable rise to prominence.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

This situation highlights the mystifying mentality of many college AD's and administrators. If profitability is the criterion for fielding an athletic team then ALL programs except football and basketball ought to be cut at all but a very few schools. Here on the west coast, Ball State is probably best known for their Men's Volleyball team. In that sport they have been very competitive for years, now they cut not only track but a relatively cheap V-ball program that has put them in the national spotlight. For what? To save a football team that loses even more money? Inexplicable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

So to avoid confusion they'll have the Blue Cougars (BYU) and the Crimson Cougars (Washington State)? If nothing else, they can annually play for the Cougar Championship of America in all sports.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

He's not making this up. ESPN magazine reported that Pac-10 officials have sent out feelers to the two schools.

Anyway, are we going to sit here and take this?

President Blaine A. Brownell
    [email protected]

AD Bubba Cunningham
    [email protected]

Give 'em an earful!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Only 31 of those 46 schools have track programs
    >(which drops to 29 out of 44 if BYU and Utah
    >jump to the Pac-10, as the rumor mill has it).>>

If ever I've heard a bad rumor, that sounds like it. There was talk a few years back about Texas and Colorado (before the Big 12 came into fruition), but I've never heard this one. The free-thinking left coast schools tieing in with the reactionary Utahans? Makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>Unfortunately, these types of threads
    >usually
    >degenerate into arguments over Title IX
    >and
    >weather or not college football makes
    >money.

I have been proven correct. Good job,
    >guys.

I agree. Some kids are probably going home with tears and you goofballs are argueing about football spending. Wankers.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Unfortunately, these types of threads usually
    >degenerate into arguments over Title IX and
    >weather or not college football makes money.

I have been proven correct. Good job, guys.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You know, I was wrong all along. If I give you my address, will you come to my house and kill me? It is obvious you want me dead any way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X