Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV coverage of SEC

Track badly needs its own version of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. Watching the SEC meet I think it possible that Jill Montgomery can manage the Lipinski role but Dwight Stones sounds like Bill Walton on a bad night. Television too often settles for old hat when it comes to track and field instead of trying to make it a more marketable product. It isn't a question of whether Stones knows track, he obviously does. He is uninteresting and often off-putting. Track needs some enthusiasm and excitement. Younger is probably better. I don't know who it is but I do know who it isn't.

I rather substantially disagree on the Stones assessment, but I may have a different perspective than the one you are using as a basis for your comments.

Comment

Unable to watch this one, but as usual, my condolences to anyone who has to watch an American TV broadcast of our sport.

Comment

I'm not questioning his track knowledge. He obviously has it but his announcing is not overly dynamic. I think track programming would benefit from a similar dynamic that Olympic figure skating enjoyed with Lipinski-Weir. It is more a matter of marketing track and I think it goes beyond just how you format meets. Our Olympic figure skating was abysmal but folks still tuned in thanks in large part to the Lipinski-Weir dynamic. Track would certainly benefit from something similar.

Comment

Don't have SEC channel, but how do you get the splits function to work on the results page??
          It's worked sometimes, but not always!
          And I have no idea how I got it to work before!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Don't have SEC channel, but how do you get the splits function to work on the results page??
            It's worked sometimes, but not always!
            And I have no idea how I got it to work before!
            The splits on the 5000 races do not seem to be populated, but for the for other events the Section/Splits link is above the event caption and record section near the top of the individual event's result page.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Marcinkiewicz View Post
              I.. Our Olympic figure skating was abysmal but folks still tuned in thanks in large part to the Lipinski-Weir dynamic. Track would certainly benefit from something similar.
              Yeah, but is Dwight willing to channel Weir's outfits?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Marcinkiewicz View Post
                I'm not questioning his track knowledge. He obviously has it but his announcing is not overly dynamic. I think track programming would benefit from a similar dynamic that Olympic figure skating enjoyed with Lipinski-Weir. It is more a matter of marketing track and I think it goes beyond just how you format meets. Our Olympic figure skating was abysmal but folks still tuned in thanks in large part to the Lipinski-Weir dynamic. Track would certainly benefit from something similar.
                I don't agree with either the Stones or Lipinski-Weir assessment.

Comment

Jill Montgomery is pathetic. Knows absolutely nothing about distance running but tries to commentate on them. And every race is downhill after the final turn.
                  Dwight is great. Figure skating is not a sport, so don't even compare that to t&f.

Comment

"but is Dwight willing to channel Weir's outfits?! "

I think that is "Chanel."

Comment

Working...
                    X