Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Untrained" HS 7-footer: LA Times

The LA Times has a story on a HS senior that has just gone out for track and has had almost no training went 6-2, 6-0, then with a little help 7-0 (2.13+). The guy who just started helping is a 7-footer that has had half a dozen 7-footers. I cannot provide a link because it is my LA Times subscription. P. Tshiaba, you can search for his name

it's linked on home page

Comment

Was the "little help" a ladder? That's a huge improvement with little track and field experience. I'd love to know his name and school.

Comment

Goes to Dorsey High School in Los Angeles. They have a good history in track and field. You might remember that the L.A. Track Club use of workout there in the 1960's.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
          Was the "little help" a ladder? That's a huge improvement with little track and field experience. I'd love to know his name and school.
          Really depends on the size of the kid and what he looked like at 6'2. His approach to the bar may have had him scissor jumping over and he may already be 6'5.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinRitter View Post
            Really depends on the size of the kid and what he looked like at 6'2. His approach to the bar may have had him scissor jumping over and he may already be 6'5.
            There's a video with the article. His form is very raw but 'useful'. If he trains through the summer (without over-training) and learned just 'decent' technique, you'd HAVE to think 7-4 is doable. I LOVE stories like these. T&F is so elemental. If genetics gave you a tool, you're gonna be able to use it right away.

He's 6-3, 185.

Comment

Didn't Donald Thomas clear 7 foot in his first meet in college? I recall that polevaultpower had some video of it. His basketball friends talked him into trying it.

Comment

He played BB but his main skill was dunking and jumping (elbows up to the rim?). The story did remind me immediately of Thomas, but he is about four years younger than Thomas at his start. You have to think as a high jumper he would shed a few pounds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                  Didn't Donald Thomas clear 7 foot in his first meet in college? I recall that polevaultpower had some video of it. His basketball friends talked him into trying it.
                  He cleared 2.22m, 7'3.25" in his first meet. Coach made him stop jumping after that height lol. Basketball shorts and sneakers, ugliest 2.22m jump ever!

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                    He cleared 2.22m, 7'3.25" in his first meet. Coach made him stop jumping after that height lol. Basketball shorts and sneakers, ugliest 2.22m jump ever!

And he made 2.20m today at the World Championships, 12 years later...

Comment

Working...
                    X