X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the IAAF's new view of the global calendar

Council decision today (see home page for link to story with other stuff):

<<GLOBAL CALENDAR UPDATE
    Following several months of extensive consultation with groups including athletes and fans, Council agreed to a calendar framework that helps provide an understandable and set rhythm for our sport.

The framework, with fixed dates for IAAF World Athletics Series events, is as follows:

- The World Cross Country Championships on the second weekend of February
    - The World Indoor Championships on the second weekend of March
    - The World Half Marathon Championships on the last weekend of March
    - The Race Walking Team Championships, allowed some flexibility, in either April or May
    - The World Relays on the first weekend in May
    - The World U20 Championships, allowed some flexibility, to be held in July
    - The World Championships on the last weekend of August or first weekend of September, to officially end the season.>>

is this last a good or bad thing?

When will this take effect? Obviously the dates for the next couple of years have already been set, and some (like the 2019 WC) are well off these fixed dates.

I think it's a good idea in principle, but they may run into practical problems, like climatic conditions. Doha had be moved later in the year to make it bearable. In Scandinavia it may already be somewhat cool in late August (historically, WCs in northern countries have taken place in the first half of August). It will get even trickier if the WC are to ever to be held in the sounthern hemisphere. And the whole calendar will be thrown out of sync every four years anyway, since the IAAF has no control over the timing of the OG.

Also, the WC as season finale sounds good, but it may deprive us of some great results. Historically, especially in distance running, athletes were often going for records at post-WC meets to utilize their peak form. It will be a shame if that ooportunity is no longer there.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Agree with questions and points Powell made. Does that mean Australia will never get a WC now?
      Are they moving the DL finals to before the worlds? Which would mean, a complete change in the entire DL schedule, which would mean less participation if it is too close to worlds or nationals for some countries.

Comment

I like the fact that the worlds will be the final meet. Late season invitational meets often are meaningless exhibitions.

Comment

There was a time 20 years ago when big meets like Zurich and Brussels were big post championship meets...those days are gone....so ending with the WC is no big deal...

Assuming Eugene is still on....late August or early September would be ideal.

Who knows about Doha.....is it ever cool there?

Comment

According to Accuweather, average max temperatures in Doha are around 41C in late August/ early September and 36-37C at the time set for the 2019 WC. Still very hot, but slightly more bearable.

Comment

So we're going to have world championships to officially end the season, except in Olympic years and years with big European Championships where the season will not end with the major championship. Don't you just love understandable and set rhythms. I don't get all these solutions the IAAF comes up with to problems that don't exist. Has anyone here ever thought "damn that athletics calendar is so complicated, i need an app to understand it"? Or "I do wish someone would help me with rankings that make me understand the importance of T&F meets".
              I would bet, as soon as some host like Doha forks over another 30mio, "World Championships on the last weekend of August or first weekend of September" will turn into a very flexible guideline.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                There was a time 20 years ago when big meets like Zurich and Brussels were big post championship meets...those days are gone....so ending with the WC is no big deal...
                20 years ago they were much more free to do whatever they wanted. Now they are reduced to DL finals status which give them very little wiggle room regarding whom to invite or which events to hold.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines how much more money these races paid the stars then....
                  Which is why they are reduced to DL final status....just another meet....

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                    I don't get all these solutions the IAAF comes up with to problems that don't exist. Has anyone here ever thought "damn that athletics calendar is so complicated, i need an app to understand it"? Or "I do wish someone would help me with rankings that make me understand the importance of T&F meets".
                    Now that I think about it, I'm guessing both the fixed season structure and the world rankings are IAAF's attempts to emulate tennis, world's most successful individual sport.

Comment

I don't believe the season will end after the World Championships. The way the release was worded it stated that "The framework, with fixed dates for IAAF World Athletics Series events, is as follows:"

The IAAF World Athletics Series consist of these events:

• IAAF World Championships
                      • IAAF World Indoor Championships
                      • IAAF World Under 20 Championships
                      • IAAF World Under 18 Championships
                      • IAAF Continental Cup
                      • IAAF World Cross Country Championships
                      • IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships
                      • IAAF World Half Marathon Championships
                      • IAAF World Relays

The Diamond League, along with the World Challenge and the World Indoor Tour are considered one-day meeting circuits.

https://www.iaaf.org/competition

Comment

When they say the WC will 'officially end the season', I read it to mean there will be no DL meets afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          Now that I think about it, I'm guessing both the fixed season structure and the world rankings are IAAF's attempts to emulate tennis, world's most successful individual sport.
                          Have you ever watched a Grand Slam? You can watch EVERY match, they have 16-20 courts, all streamed simultaneously. Now that would be something worth emulating from tennis, modern broadcasting. According to his coach, Max Heß had a big jump in the first round, slightly invalid. I would love to have seen that attempt, but there were no dedicated streams for the field events and one of the major IAAF broadcasting rules seems to be "Never show field events unless there is absolutely nothing else to see and NEVER EVER show replays of invalid attempts". The result is, that jump could have been 18m for all we know and nobody who wasn't there will ever see it.

Comment

Existing events' dates will not change. The changes are for new events moving forward.

Comment

I'm not saying this will actually work in bringing T&F's popularity to the same level as tennis. I just think that's the reasoning behind it.

And needless to say, I agree with your point about broadcasting/ webcasting.

Comment

Working...
                              X