Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&F's Most Dominant Women In The Last 20 Years

ESPN put out a not very good most dominant athletes of the last 20 years list. On it from women's T&F was Allyson Felix. Here is my list, in no particular order:

Valerie Adams
    Tirunesh Dibaba
    Yelena Isinbaeva
    Anita Włodarczyk
    Sandra Perković

HM:
    Carolina Klüft
    Brittney Reese

bambam suggested a good addition of Mariya Lasitskene.

Who is on your list?

Originally posted by bhall View Post
    ESPN put out a not very good most dominant athletes of the last 20 years list. On it from women's T&F was Allyson Felix. Here is my list, in no particular order:

Valerie Adams
    Tirunesh Dibaba
    Yelena Isinbaeva
    Anita Włodarczyk
    Sandra Perković

HM:
    Carolina Klüft
    Brittney Reese

bambam suggested a good addition of Mariya Lasitskene.

Who is on your list?
    Allyson and shelly ann has to be one of the most dominant sprinter of all time .

Comment

I'd put Vlasic ahead of Lasitskene at this point. Maybe not in a few years.
      Felix belongs in there for a lot of 200 rankings and some 400 rankings spanning a long time.
      Spotakova should probably be in there for 9 #1 rankings in the jav, plus some other high rankings.
      I'm not sure that Dibaba is all that far ahead of Defar, certainly not dominant.

Comment

Felix had Cambell-Brown SAFP as competitors that hurt her dominance significantly. Felix will go down as one of the greats but not someone who truly dominated.

I thought about Spotakova and Vlasic.

Dibaba in the 10,000 was unbeaten for forever (almost... Rio I think was her first loss).

Comment

Vlasic has often been beaten when it counted.

In term of gap with the rest of the field I would say:
          Adams
          Wlodarczyk
          Kluft
          Isinbaeva

Comment

In terms of DOMINANCE it’s hard to look past Tirunesh Dibaba who continually proved to be supreme over 10,000, from 2005-2016 she was unbeaten.

Spotakova, Petkovic, kluft, adams, also

Comment

Felix is the top 200 runner of the period, but even with 7 No. 1s in that period, I have trouble placing her with the truly dominant people, given her record in the Majors

'03 WC: 6qf
              '04 OG: 2
              '05 WC: 1
              '07 WC: 1
              '08 OG: 2
              '09 WC: 1
              '11 WC: 3
              '12 OG: 1
              '13 WC: dnf

That's only 4 golds in 9 tries.

As I said, best in the period, for sure. A slam dunk Hall of Famer for sure. But not "dominant" in the way some of the others listed here have set the bar.

Comment

Maria Mutola

Caterine Ibarguen (very dominant for a few years, albeit it was a down period for the event)
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  Felix is the top 200 runner of the period, but even with 7 No. 1s in that period, I have trouble placing her with the truly dominant people, given her record in the Majors

As I said, best in the period, for sure. A slam dunk Hall of Famer for sure. But not "dominant" in the way some of the others listed here have set the bar.
                  Much more difficult to be dominant in the short sprints where the competition is so thick. By comparison even though I love the multis the number of top competitors is vastly smaller, and similarly for the HT. I would say that been dominant in the 100 and 100h are so much more difficult if you use the same aggregate criteria (e.g., gh's 4 golds in 9 tries). Tiger was very dominant for a long period but he did not win most of his tournaments, and Eddy Merckx is clearly the GOAT, not just one of the dominant ones, and he won 445 of the 1585 races and he was helped by having the best team of his era, which is like Felix winning relay golds. Of course, that is what makes Bolt so extra ordinary and why Mo Farah is much less credit than I think he is due (especially since he was doubling while key opponents were not and faced team tactics across races (a bit fatigued for the 5000 in 2017).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    Much more difficult to be dominant in the short sprints where the competition is so thick. By comparison even though I love the multis the number of top competitors is vastly smaller, and similarly for the HT. I would say that been dominant in the 100 and 100h are so much more difficult if you use the same aggregate criteria (e.g., gh's 4 golds in 9 tries).
                    It didn't stop SAFP from winning 5 out of 6 majors at 100 between 2008 and 2015.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Literally laughing at you right now "only 4 golds"
                      But yeah she didn't win literally everything like Adams or Yelena...but still I'd say you can use the word dominant. Dominant doesn't equal undefeated. and she did win worlds 3 times in a row

Comment

Originally posted by americantrackfan View Post
                        Literally laughing at you right now "only 4 golds"
                        But yeah she didn't win literally everything like Adams or Yelena...but still I'd say you can use the word dominant. Dominant doesn't equal undefeated. and she did win worlds 3 times in a row
                        I don’t know why you are laughing when you have agreed with GH. GH said:

But not “dominant” in the way some of the others listed here have set the bar.

You said:

But yeah she didn’t literally win everything like Adams or Yelena.

Comment

I feel that Brittney Reese deserves a mention here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            I don’t know why you are laughing when you have agreed with GH. GH said:

But not “dominant” in the way some of the others listed here have set the bar.

You said:

But yeah she didn’t literally win everything like Adams or Yelena.
                            Agree. The thread asks for the "Most Dominant"

Comment

Felix is always over-rated by US media and fans so no surprise here. A fine athlete but her medal tally is over-inflated by relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X