Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And so it begins (aka the demise of the field events)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins (aka the demise of the field events)

I read a Dutch article today, the translation was a bit rusty, but if i understand it correctly, Jos Hermens wants to completely ban field events from the FBK Games in Hengelo. He believes people are no longer interested in these events and unless i misread, this seems to be the direction Coe wants athletics to go. Instead Hermens promises more fireworks and other "fun". He also said he would like to put a roof over the stadium so spectators no longer have to endure the weather, rain or sun for more than 2 hours.
    Now, soccer is the most successful sports in the world, despite having very few inside stadiums. So fans have no problem watching soccer for 90min in all kinds of weather, but athletics fans can't handle sun? The same sun we love 8 hours a day at beaches during our vacations?
    I could ignore Hermens as a nutcase but what scares me is that he thinks Coe wants to eliminate the field events.

What evidence is that that Coe wants to do anything of the sort???

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
      I read a Dutch article today, the translation was a bit rusty, but if i understand it correctly, Jos Hermens wants to completely ban field events from the FBK Games in Hengelo. He believes people are no longer interested in these events and unless i misread, this seems to be the direction Coe wants athletics to go. Instead Hermens promises more fireworks and other "fun". He also said he would like to put a roof over the stadium so spectators no longer have to endure the weather, rain or sun for more than 2 hours.
      Now, soccer is the most successful sports in the world, despite having very few inside stadiums. So fans have no problem watching soccer for 90min in all kinds of weather, but athletics fans can't handle sun? The same sun we love 8 hours a day at beaches during our vacations?
      I could ignore Hermens as a nutcase but what scares me is that he thinks Coe wants to eliminate the field events.
      If this is true then...Hermens needs to be put in a STRAIGHT JACKECT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
        if i understand it correctly, Jos Hermens wants to completely ban field events. . . this seems to be the direction Coe wants athletics to go.
        While I doubt Coe is on board with that, neither would surprise me if they did. They are runners; what else would you expect from them?!

Comment

Would he similarly ban track events from field meets? it would eliminate the hassle of working jumpers excused for track events back into the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            Would he similarly ban track events from field meets?
            I suppose he would. But if he really believes that people are no longer interested in field events, he would presumably have no interest in putting on a field meet.

Comment

If anything should be removed or banned from the sport, "it" should be Jos Hermens. Someone send up a flare if he ever decides to tell the truth about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by madd marine View Post
                if anything should be removed or banned from the sport, "it" should be jos hermens. Someone send up a flare if he ever decides to tell the truth about anything.
                hip hip hooray

Comment

I read the article in question (AD.nl I guess).
                  Jos Hermens didn't say Coe agreed with him. He did say Coe would have a hard time convincing the east Europe IAAF member to go that way (removing throwing events).
                  He specifically mentioned throwing events, so I guess jumping events are not concerned here.
                  Additionally he doesn't want to put a roof on the whole stadium but over the tribune, just like in soccer.

Comment

Working...
                  X