Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bashing RW

Wow, I picked up the most recent RW, and man, does it suck! The Penguin did an article in which he talked about eating pizza, McDonalds hamburgers, and drinking beer during a marathon. He bragged about finishing in over 8 hours, and it was the best time he ever had. What a joke. It's guys like that that keep our sport in the joke department of the sports world.

Down with Penguin!
    Down with RW!

Re: Bashing RW

>Wow, I picked up the most recent RW, and man,
    >does it suck! The Penguin did an article in which
    >he talked about eating pizza, McDonalds
    >hamburgers, and drinking beer during a marathon.
    >He bragged about finishing in over 8 hours, and
    >it was the best time he ever had. What a joke.
    >It's guys like that that keep our sport in the
    >joke department of the sports world. >>

I think it can be successfully argued that RW (by the very definition of it's name) doesn't cover "our sport" at all. So bashing them makes no more sense than bashing Field & Stream for its poor coverage of the jumps and throws.

Comment

You aren't seeing the big picture. Track is struggling for legitimacy in the eyes of the public. Meanwhile, we have RW telling said public that running (they run in track, you know) is all about eating pizza and hamburgers during races. That hurts the sport's image. That holds us all back. And we have Runners World to thank for it.

Comment

Well . . . if it weren't for the tremendous popularity of running among the not-competitive-at-all crowd, there wouldn't be shoe sponsorships. The mag is definitely not what it once was; I've met most of their editors, and with one or two exceptions they're all really spacy. If you're a serious distance runner looking for competitive help, skip all the US running magazines and get Triathlete instead -- the 1/3 devoted to running is better than the whole RW or Running Times.

RW Online, on the other hand, is probably the best daily source of news for the competitive side of track & field, road racing, and cross country.

Comment

>You aren't seeing the big picture. Track is
          >struggling for legitimacy in the eyes of the
          >public. Meanwhile, we have RW telling said
          >public that running (they run in track, you know)
          >is all about eating pizza and hamburgers during
          >races. That hurts the sport's image. That holds
          >us all back. And we have Runners World to thank
          >for it.>

RW somewhat caters to the road racing crowd. When I run road races I almost find another track fan amongst the many I speak with. It's not the right demographic.

Comment

Almost doesn't count. :-)

Comment

The mag is definitely not
              >what it once was; I've met most of their editors,
              >and with one or two exceptions they're all really
              >spacy.

This does not surprise me. Just look at the "spacy" stuff they publish. That mag. blows more than anything has ever blown before.

Comment

... a classic adaptation of the classic line from Beavis and Butthead Do America. Thanks for the mammaries.

Comment

It went to heck when Bob Anderson had to sell it to pay off his wife in a divorce settlement, as I recall. Then Rodale got it and has been pumping it full of airy-fairy crap ever since. Thirty years ago, they used to occasionally have track athletes on the cover. They even had - gasp - racewalkers (once). Hmmm... Has T&FN EVER had racewalkers on the cover? (Insert snotty remarks here.)

I think that T&FN should put a clause in their corporate plan that it can never, ever be sold to Rodale.

Comment

I think that T&FN should put a clause
                    >in their corporate plan that it can never, ever
                    >be sold to Rodale.

I agree that Rodale is much of the problem. I have heard from cyclists that the cycling mag. they own pretty much went to pot when Rodale bought it, too.

Comment

I believe that Rodale also had "Fitness Swimmer Magazine" which tanked after they started down the touchy-feely road.

GH - Swear on a stack of back rankings issues that T&FN will NEVER sell out to Rodale.

Comment

I agree with this! RW sucks! So, they finally put a runner on the cover instead of a model. About time! However, the content was largely horrible. The aforementioned penguin article sucked horribly. Terrible. An insult to the sport. Also, they did a story on majic socks that would make you faster. Add this to sniffing cinnomon that a past issue said would make you faster. Galloway...oh, don't start on Galloway. He wrote more stupidity about how not training hard keeps you injury free. He didn't mention it also keeps you from the winner's stand. RW plan for running success: Eat pizza, hamburgers, & beer on the course, sniff cinnomon before the race, wear your majic socks, don't train hard, take walking breaks, and you'll be a champion. This is the message RW sends. It's all lies. RW sucks the big one!

Comment

Get over it already. RW caters to the recreational runner and occasional road racer. The core audience is never going to be a champion or even very competitive. They just want a magazine with some articles about their hobby/interest. RW has some corny stuff and some good stuff too.

All of that said - it is very frustrating when one tries to find quality track and field coverage. The internet is the best way to go - particularly for results (instant gratification). A little more difficult when looking for interviews, stories, training advice and the list goes on.

Oh well, there is my two cents worth - bash away if you will - it may be an illusory two cents anyway.

Comment

I have never heard of or seen an American elite
                            complain or regret being on the cover of runners
                            world. Have any of you? Why are all the people complaining of runners world mag , have such details of each issue? Did you purchase it or is your life so empty you have time to read it at a magazine stand without paying. You should visit Letsrun.com for some serious talk about "track and field".
                            The rest of the world also refers to "your" sport
                            as "Athletics". Quit calling it track and field
                            America, get with it. Although outside of America
                            they refer to golf as "Ball and Club"
                            Wake up time war mongers, find your weapon of mass dist.

Comment

El Supremo tires of the monthly bash of Runner's World. While I am pumped about spending tommorrow laying in the sun watching the Ohio state track meet, many of my running buddies (make that most) won't be there - they just love to run and occationally go out and "race" a 5k in 19:00. Runners World is for them, for my wife, who used Galloway's training technique to finish her first marathon, and for many others. I don't think its a bad magazine - if you read it expecting T&F coverage you are not familiar with it. It's not for "us" - it's for "them" - live with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X