>El Supremo tires of the monthly bash of Runner's
    >World. While I am pumped about spending
    >tommorrow laying in the sun watching the Ohio
    >state track meet, many of my running buddies
    >(make that most) won't be there - they just love
    >to run and occationally go out and "race" a 5k
    >in 19:00. Runners World is for them, for my
    >wife, who used Galloway's training technique to
    >finish her first marathon, and for many others.
    >I don't think its a bad magazine - if you read
    >it expecting T&F coverage you are not familiar
    >with it. It's not for "us" - it's for
    >"them" - live with it.

Yes, but it is not even good for "them." It tells "them" that the key to better running is sniffing cinnomon, magic socks, Liz Applegate's 10 power foods, ect. ect. ect. Meanwhile, the truth is that you get faster by working out hard. RW fails to mention that. I gues magic socks sell better than hard work. RW sucks, no matter who the intended audience is.

Comment

Re: Bashing RW

better running doesn't have to mean faster running. it just means enjoying the sport more, food,galloway,socks....this is a great magazine for light reading. your post must mean your not an elite runner , or you would be out training and not plopped in front of your computer like a lump of bread dough..or your old and living in the past like everyone else on this board. You should try a find some friends an expand your life beyond the internet.

Comment

Its almost as bad as covering a guy traveling through South America on an old 10 speed while having coconuts thrown at him. It really has very little to do with the sport.

Comment

I think el supremo has it right.RW is more for the recreational runner than the competitive one. Running can be delightfully healthy and satisfying sans blood and guts training and racing.I've done both--having trained hard and competed in H.S. and college--and now I love my 3 mile jaunt at 10 minute pace. It feels great and keeps me fit and toned. I love both T&FN (reflecting my competitive days) and RW (reflecting my run for health and enjoyment days) both have their merits...

Comment

Runner's World is a FITNESS TABLOID. If it were really a good source of information, they wouldn't be able to come up with a new "TOP 10 BEST RUNNING FOODS" every month. It's for fun runners and joggers, not for athletes.

Comment

Did anyone read the "PERFECT RUNNER'S DIET" article they ran last year? I still can't get over that one. Basically it was Don Kardon's journal of the week he spent trying to eat according to the food pyramid, or more accurately, crap don as many handfulls of wheat thins as he could remember to throughout the day. He also counted potato chips, french fries, and katchup as "vegetable" servings. It was terrible. And this was advertised as being the "perfect" diet

Comment

To Brian Gates: The "perfect diet" thing in the Don Kardong article was tongue in cheek. Kardong is famous for kidding about his "good" diet items like touting Fruit Loops as the perfect breakfast food. I think RW does have good, well researched advice for runners--but has more for recreational runners than competitive runners. I love Joe Henderson's column--have been reading him for 30+ years--he's very insightful and fun to read in my opinion.

Comment

Kardong's first foray in the wonderful world of Froot Loops and other fun foods, as I recall, was actually in T&FN, not RW!

Comment

>love Joe Henderson's column--have been reading
                    >him for 30+ years--he's very insightful and fun
                    >to read in my opinion.

Well, if he does something for you, then OK. Personally, I can't remember the time that man made a discernable point. I've never read anyone who could ramble on aimlessly in a column like he can. He contributes greatly to RW's general suckiness.

Comment

All you RW haters seem to know an awful lot about the articles/stories in RW. El Supremo thinks you are closet readers. Admit it, you skip with glee from the mailbox to the bathroom, then devour the issue cover to cover.

Remember the old "Runner" magazine - now that was a pretty good magazine in the 80's - I remember an article about the national HS record 4x880y relay between 2 schools with a detailed breakdown of each leg from the runner's perspective - an awesome article - anyone remember the issue date??

Comment

El Supremo seems to be right. The magazine must have a huge "I hate RW but I read it so I can bash it" market. For these folks, it appears that RW has entered the realm of irritainment- something you can't stand but keep watching/reading so you can get pissed off at it.

Comment

On a slighlty different note. I recently picked up a box a 'runner' and 'runners world' magazines about 50 of them at a second hand book sale for about $3. All from late 70's early 80's. They really make some graet reading. But even then RW had the evil undertones of the mainstream 'funrunner'. With such great articles as 'Pain: Why it hurts' and 'Cigarettes and Running can the two addictions co-exist'.
                          Including advertisments for such things as diamond rings, beer, and the breakthrough technology insta-pulse.

Comment

>But even then RW
                            >had the evil undertones of the mainstream
                            >'funrunner'.

Yes, the evil mainstream. They are so terrible that their shoe-buying habits support the entire sport of pro track. I say we round them all up for a good old-fashioned lynching!

Comment

>>But even then RW
                              >had the evil undertones of
                              >the mainstream
                              >'funrunner'.

Yes, the evil
                              >mainstream. They are so terrible that their
                              >shoe-buying habits support the entire sport of
                              >pro track. I say we round them all up for a good
                              >old-fashioned lynching!

So it's ok to lie to the mainstream? Because that's what RW and Galloway do with all their "don't train hard, take walk break" nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                              X