Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Allyson Felix win another individual gold?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Allyson Felix win another individual gold?

Full disclosure Allyson is my fave female track n field athlete of all time. I have accepted she is in the twilight of her career and have had to stomqch other greats of my era bow out(bolt, sanya etc). Allyson however always seems to have the work ethic that separates her from her peers. She has managed bobbys tough workouts thru the years and they have done her well.

In judging her 2015 to 2017 seasons there have been glimpses of greatness even when she fell short of gold. 2015 almost seemed like her peak. 21.98 in mid may when the 400 was her focus then a blistering 49.26 in bejing with an erratic race pattern(still better than sit n kick) and then the 47.xx relay leg. 2016 the unfortunate ankle injury stole some of het gusto. However she managed the 49.68 at trials in what was one of the greatest come behinds ever. The 49.51 in rio where she cqme up short was a matter of poor race pattern. Allyson still hasnt figured out how to run her own fast race in an open 400 like sanya used to. The eye opener was the 22.02 in the race with schippers and thompson showing she could still mix it up with the new 200 queens.

2017 worried me a bit. I dont know that allyson. It is,not like her to get run down with such a mediocre time by athletes who have no business running her down. Many posit she went out too quick or cold london weather might be more unkind to veteran muscles. However she managed an easy 49.65 on the circuit which is her fastedt time outside championship competition which makes me see her london performance as a mishap of some sort not a decline even though she didnt look too good end of season. But i remember in 2011 how grim things looked then 2012 came. Has she run out of 2012's?

I think it is possible she could win an individual medal at Worlds (I think the Olympics is out of the question). She is one of my favorites and I wish her all the best.

Hell, as long as she can run good, solid legs on the relays, I'm good. LOL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
      I think it is possible she could win an individual medal at Worlds (I think the Olympics is out of the question). She is one of my favorites and I wish her all the best.

Hell, as long as she can run good, solid legs on the relays, I'm good. LOL!!!!
      Why can she get a medal in 2019 but not 2020?

Comment

It all depends on how hard she train and how heathy she stays . I think what happened at London could of happen with anyone on a regular day ...there are days when its just not there and you cant do anything about it ..For example the same that happened to shaunae . She didnt ran her own race and I think she was more focused on shaunae than her own race ...And besides I noticed that when Allyson isnt at her best in the 100 /200 ,her 400 m times are slower as well . Last year her best 100 was 11.12 and her 200 m time was 22.35 which is pretty slow for her standards .

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrak85 View Post
          2015 almost seemed like her peak. 21.98 in mid may when the 400 was her focus then a blistering 49.26 in bejing with an erratic race pattern(still better than sit n kick) and then the 47.xx relay leg.
          2015 was probably her peak at 400m, but not her other events. 2012 was clearly her peak over 100/200.

The 49.51 in rio where she cqme up short was a matter of poor race pattern.
          and

2017 worried me a bit. I dont know that allyson. It is,not like her to get run down with such a mediocre time by athletes who have no business running her down.
          I think you're being rather disrespectful of her competitors. Miller-Uibo is an big talent, herself running a 'poor race pattern' in Rio, more so than Felix with an even faster opening 200m, but she still won the gold. What if SMU had run a more sensible race, even just the same opening 200 spilt as Felix, would her winning margin have been even bigger? It's only right to look at her competitor's race pattern if we're looking at what went wrong for Felix too. Did Felix go out too hard? Absolutely, but SMU did even more so, and still hung on.

On London, firstly the conditions were dreadful, the worst weather we've seen in a major final since Helsinki 2005, so we shouldn't worry too much about the times. Secondly, Naser appears to be a big up-and-coming talent, and is certainly one of the fastest U20 women ever. When you can run 49.88 at aged 19 you very much do have business running down a former great who is in the twilight of their career.

Many posit she went out too quick or cold london weather might be more unkind to veteran muscles. However she managed an easy 49.65 on the circuit which is her fastedt time outside championship competition which makes me see her london performance as a mishap of some sort not a decline even though she didnt look too good end of season.?
          One-off circuit races are not the same as running rounds. Maybe it's taking it's toll on her body in Champs more so than circuit races? Maybe she didn't get her peak right in 2017 (which would be unusual for her) Maybe she tensed up when she saw SMU wasn't initially coming back to her? I don't know, but it's clear she was running against some major talented athletes, and Francis is only 25 herself, SMU 23, and Naser 19; Felix is now 32. It don't get any easier!

But i remember in 2011 how grim things looked then 2012 came. Has she run out of 2012's?
          Yes.

She was only 26 in 2011, there was every reason to believe she could 'come back' to her best form. She was 27 in 2012, within the normal range for a sprinter to reach their peak. She's now 32, been competing at the elite level for an awfully long time, it's very doubtful she'll have another 2012. I believe her days of winning medals over 200m are over (that is unless the big names p*ss about again and ditch the sprint double and we have half an elite field) but she can still challenge over 400m...if she gets on the team. The USA champs are a killer, and they appear to have a lot of talent over the one lap coming through.

Comment

I wouldn't write her off our national teams right now, but I'd be surprised to see her winning another individual gold at the world level.

Comment

Why can she get a medal in 2019 but not 2020?
              Allyson can get a medal, it just won't be gold. Lets get real here. Father Time is undefeated. If she gets gold in both Worlds('19) and Olympics('20) nobody on this Earth will cheering louder than me.

Comment

as father time marches on, without being cruel to Felix, one has to wonder if she's not close to the point where the more relevant question might be her ability to stave off the new kids on the block in terms of winning national gold, let alone international.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  as father time marches on, without being cruel to felix, one has to wonder if she's not close to the point where the more relevant question might be her ability to stave off the new kids on the block in terms of winning national gold, let alone international.
                  That pretty much sums it up.
                  Last edited by The Klingon; 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Last year she ran 49.6 ...she ran 48 on the relay so I wouldnt assume the rounds are killing her yet . WE gotta accept its not getting any easier with these young talented stars ...But lets see !

Comment

Last year's championship was odd and was the first sign age might be affecting her. Her biggest problem is clear though: in her favorite event, the 200m, the depth is greater than what it was in her prime, so unless the best 200m runners are absent from the event, she will not medal in the 200m again.

The 400m is a little different, but it requires a lot of work from someone who has been running for a long time.

No worries though. She's an all-time great and has had an incredible career. I too have had to mourn the decline of sprinters I favored the most for years.

Comment

Originally posted by benjastar123 View Post
                        Last year she ran 49.6 ...she ran 48 on the relay so I wouldnt assume the rounds are killing her yet.
                        The relay came 4 days after the individual 400 final, so she had ample time to recover.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by upchuckserious View Post
                          ........ I too have had to mourn the decline of sprinters I favored the most for years.
                          I know what you mean. That is how I felt about Evelyn Ashford and Gwen Torrence.

Comment

We can all agree that she is not getting ny younger and that the time to retire is every year closer ..But to assume she cant handle rounds as she used to based on 1 performance is kinda too early . We must see another performances of her this year to assume that ...Its not that the race conditions were perfect that day...I think probably she peaked a little too early

Comment

The more I see young talent like McLaughlin coming through, and when I consider how dangerous the likes of Miller-Uibo, Jackson, Naser, and McLaughlin will be by Tokyo 2020 if they all stay healthy, I don't think Felix will win another individual gold.

How she fares this year will be an indicator of if there's anything left in the Felix tank to give herself a fighting chance in Doha 2019, then Tokyo 2020. I am rooting for her, though. On paper, she has a minuscule chance, but it's a good thing races aren't won on paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X