Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    merely a yearly world leader
    The only reason that's a thing, is that it beats GB's CG Gold .05 slower. Which, I'll admit, IS a thing. But considering the hype, not so much.

Maybe THAT is why Mondo and SMcL are so special; they seem to meet or exceed the hype more often than not, and there is a ton of it surrounding both.

edit - I thought I was being clever in not calling GB, UK, but I just realized it's just the plain Olde Sodde, England.
    Last edited by Atticus; 04-14-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
      Should be a DQ on Gatlin to Baker handoff
      video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M_ryS2U-Y

that pass does look pretty late.

Comment

Serious record attempts will require late but legal passes, because the baton slows down more when you pass early in the zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          video:

Uhhhhh.yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            Uhhhhh.yeah.
            I can't give a definitive opinion based on that video.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
              Probability of an illegal pass: 90%. Luckily, no officials were on the spot to be put on the spot.
              There's not enough video evidence to overturn the initial call by the officials, so paraphrasinging NFL lingo, "the ruling on the track stands".

Originally posted by DJG
              Rodgers: ran just about the entire zone with his arm back - sure sign the timing would be off, waddled the final 40m, and
              likely had The slowest split, by the eyeball test.
              He put his hand back ~5 meters into the zone which seems normal to me. However, he didn't appear to be really running when he first took off which means the baton slowed down more than it would have it he had been running.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                In the today's Headlines on the T&FN home page, the relay story has 11 pictures of the first exchange - mostly blocked in the postedvideo- that shed more light for our analysis:

Coleman as I suspected caught up to Gatlin very quickly. One photo shows Coleman well past the go Mark (tape) with Gatlin still coming out of his stance. Coleman could have easily run by Gatlin and handed the baton from in front of him, but he eased up and and handed off while being practically in Gatlin's hip pocket.

So all three exchanges were weak. The good news- all the exchange problems are correctable. The bad news- no one thinks the exchanges were that bad because they ran 38.08. The fastest time IN THE WORLD!!!!!!
                How much time was likely to have been lost in the exchanges?

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                  Jazz, if you can spot an official at the zone raising a white flag.....
                  I don't need to see a white flag, because no yellow flag equals no infraction, and close and controversial calls are a part of all sports.

Comment

I do not always agree with you 100% but this is what I thought but with finer detail and greater clarity (both in observation and exposition).

Comment

Originally posted by DJG
                      The best read of the Day has another video that shows the second exchange barely in The zone. So make the probability 100% that "the baton was in the Zone" when the pass was Completed (Coleman's body was likely out of the zone).
                      Didn't you say earlier that you were 90% certain it was an illegal pass?

Originally posted by DJG
                      The important thing is that the pass was terribly executed and bad even for a first attempt.
                      Baker not only ran in the outside of the lane, but didn't put his arm back when he should have, well before halfway in the zone, and presented a moving target for Gatlin.
                      I agree that it didn't look pretty but that was a pretty efficient pass time-wise, with neither Baker nor Gatlin slowing down to make the pass. Show me an incoming runner working hard to reach the outgoing runner before the end of the zone and I'll show you fast pass. As for Baker putting his arm back too late, I would be curious to know when you think an outgoing runner should put back his/her arm since you also think Rodgers put back his arm too early.
                      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        video:

IMO, Frame by frame shows a definite DQ.

Will TFN record this with an * as another not recognised legit time?
                        Last edited by Tuariki; 04-26-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          IMO, Frame by frame shows a definite DQ.

Will TFN record this with an * as another not recognised legit time?
                          38.08???? Does it really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                            38.08???? Does it really matter?
                            If they did exchange out of zone then it shouldn’t count as the world leading time

Comment

Why do we have passing zones? Four people: 400, 800, 1600 meters. Sprint Medley, Distance Medley, etc legs are different distances... What difference does it make?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                                Why do we have passing zones? Four people: 400, 800, 1600 meters. Sprint Medley, Distance Medley, etc legs are different distances... What difference does it make?
                                I have never thought about it. But your point is well taken. My take is no passing zones would take the "drama" out of relays.

Comment

Working...
                                X