Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    And a note for the designers of the new track, this just in: lots of us fans like to sit in the shade when spending hours and hours watching t&f, which is no problem at Hayward.
    Should have mentioned that it's nice to sit undercover when it rains too.

Comment

And a note for the designers of the new track, this just in: lots of us fans like to sit in the shade when spending hours and hours watching t&f, which is no problem at Hayward.
      "Shade is Good" - Emil Faber

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        "Shade is Good" - Emil Faber
        I think you're paraphrasing

Comment

A foolish dream if you ask me, but even more reason to build the new track out by Autzen Stadium where crowds are easier to handle and the ultra-modern design will not look out of place.

Some have mentioned that this design is similar in modernity to the newish Matthew Knight Arena a couple of blocks away from Hayward. What no one mentions is that the Matthew Knight arena is an ugly silver blob that is out of place with its surrounding, sort of like the proposed T&F worm.

And a note for the designers of the new track, this just in: lots of us fans like to sit in the shade when spending hours and hours watching t&f, which is no problem at Hayward. Instead with the new design we have uncovered seats surrounded by a magnifying glass. Not an improvement . . .
          Well now there will be two out of place things, so maybe they will be more in place?

Comment

Some have mentioned that this design is similar in modernity to the newish Matthew Knight Arena a couple of blocks away from Hayward. What no one mentions is that the Matthew Knight arena is an ugly silver blob that is out of place with its surrounding, sort of like the proposed T&F worm....
            Horses for courses, I guess. If there's anything that's out of place it's the Alumni Assocition building next to the Arena that's wild-assed modernity.

I for one, however, find them to be refreshing breaths of fresh air on a chunk of Franklin Boulevard that pretty much otherwise looks like a re-creation of Modesto's McHenry Blvd. for American Graffiti. Bruges it ain't.

Nothing shrieks "we've moved with the times" like the long-shuttered Joe Romania Chevrolet building and its parking lot full of weeds which was alredy tired the first time I was on Franklin back in '68.

My only gripe with the Knight Arena is that it cost us the bakery and the fabulous early-morning walks to Hayward with the smell of freshly-baked bread in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
              Nothing shrieks "we've moved with the times" like the long-shuttered Joe Romania Chevrolet building and its parking lot full of weeds which was already tired the first time I was on Franklin back in '68.
              Piqued my curiosity about this.
              UO has owned the Romania lot since 2005, but in 2011 it was added to the National Register for Historic Places. So there are limitations on how it can be developed since the design of the showroom building is considered a modern (mid-20th century) architectural treasure.

The University is currently seeking proposals on what to do with it.
              https://www.dailyemerald.com/2018/02/19/2492961/

Comment

• I must admit it was fun to have finished a session at the 2016 OT and be sitting on the sidewalk (well, in a chair on the sidewalk patio) at the Wild Duck, hearing a low, rumbling, pulsing base line penetrating the walls of Matthew Knight Arena fifty yards away, knowing that KISS was in there playing "100,000 Years" to the delight of young people who had only heard of them, and older folks wearing vintage 1970s concert t-shirts and sporting canes or new artificial knees.

Comment

• OK, so they didn't play "100,000 Years". But they should have.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/...-3bffe4b0.html

Comment

• "My only gripe with the Knight Arena is that it cost us the bakery and the fabulous early-morning walks to Hayward with the smell of freshly-baked bread in the air. "

Yes indeed...I lived on Moss just across Franklin from Williams Bakery as an undergraduate 40 years ago. Practically lived on their day old pastries.

Comment

• I stand by my comments – from the outside Knight Arena is, in my opinion, an architecturally uninspired combination of boring and ugly. With the money that was spent it could have been spectacular. It could have been an architecturally signature public edifice representing the style of the Pacific Northwest; sadly it is not, it's just a round silver arena that could be plopped down in AnyArenaTownUSA.

Some of Phil's building money fits in, such as the library extension. Some of it stands out in a bad way, like Knight Arena and the new track. Both of these should be over by Autzen.

While I agree that driving into town down Franklin Blvd. from I-5 is less than inspiring, large-scale crap modern architecture does not fix it.

And was kinda wondering why this thread is on Things Not T&F.
                      Last edited by bad hammy; 05-09-2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• project manager says East stands not in grand shape.... see home page

Comment

project manager says East stands not in grand shape.... see home page
                          The key quote from that project manager is this:

>>The bleachers are essentially rows of 2x10-inch boards with 18 inches between seat designations and 28 inches of room between the back of one row to the back of the next row.
                          The seat pitch will be 44 inches in the new stadium with 24-inch individual seats.<<

When I go to a track meet as a spectator, I care more about seat comfort than I do about architectural history. The proposed new East grandstand will be a MUCH more comfortable place to watch a track meet.

Comment

• Olympian Jon Anderson, whose Hayward Field bona fides are about as good as they get, in a reasoned opinion piece says <<If Eugene is to remain TrackTownUSA, Hayward must be fully rebuilt...>>

http://www.registerguard.com/opinion...storied-legacy

Comment

project manager says East stands not in grand shape.... see home page

What a surprise...
                              Meanwhile... Bob Penny who knows this stuff disagrees....

http://www.registerguard.com/opinion...ric-grandstand

Comment

Olympian Jon Anderson, whose Hayward Field bona fides are about as good as they get, in a reasoned opinion piece says <<If Eugene is to remain TrackTownUSA, Hayward must be fully rebuilt...>>

http://www.registerguard.com/opinion...storied-legacy
                                I saw that... Yes a reasonable point of view for once for moving forward.

But Kenny Moore disagrees and his bona fides are just as valid.... More so as he actually went to Oregon.

Meanwhile... Your bet...
                                Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-10-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X