Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't by any chance the rumor you have been threatening to monger, is it? Just kidding.
    Last edited by Master Po; 05-27-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      rumor has it that the tower has already been axed
      No Tower of Orthanc? Sad! Why not a Ferris Wheel instead....

Comment

• Sitting in the west grandstand Saturday I was damn glad that this was my last big meet with the sardine-like good-only-for-friendly-short-skinny-people bench seating. A buddy of mine jacked an existing knee injury and I did the same to an existing foot injury just trying to thread our way to our seats. Bring on the stadium seats with ADA-compliant access!

Comment

• I made the mistake of sitting in those crappy seats in the West Grandstand 3 years ago...horrible...the East Grandstand is fine...you should have sat there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Meanwhile....the trees on Agate are all going down....
            I don't think that will leave either the University Oregon campus, the immediate neighborhood, the City of Eugene, or the State of Oregon bereft of trees. I also suspect that trees have been removed every time the University has expanded its campus.

I really do appreciate trees, but my bottom line on this is that there are trees all over the place--and particularly that place--but there's only one venue for the 2021 World Championships and for all of the future big meets to come at Hayward Field (USATF champs, NCAA Champs, Olympic Trials, Pre Classic, State HS Champs and who knows what else). The sport, the organizations that put on these meets, and the track fans of Eugene, the region, the nation, and the world deserve the best venue possible. If that means taking down a few trees, so be it.

Comment

• I'll miss being able to spread out in the bench seats in the east grandstand. I'm not too torn up over the trees, they clearly are not terribly old, and yes, plenty more in the area.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                If that means taking down a few trees, so be it.
                I am as eco-friendly as the next tree-hugger, but they are just over-grown weeds!

Comment

• Meanwhile... Ken Goe today...

I'm hearing from multiple sources that several personal appeals have been made in recent days to Nike co-founder Phil Knight by people who know and respect him. They want the modern design scrapped in favor of one that would address the world championships requirements while preserving the the current look of Hayward as much as possible. Knight and wife, Penny, are lead donors for the reconstruction.

There are concerns the horseshoe design rolled out in April could have the unintended consequence of creating swirling winds inside the stadium that would cause havoc for athletes competing in events in which even a slight variation in the wind has a big impact on performance.

This is an example of an issue that could have been addressed had those managing the project chosen to a more collaborative process.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...rt_river_index

There is another meeting in town tomorrow night which I plan to attend.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-30-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Let's hope that, whatever the final design, they get on with it, especially with the possibility of hosting the 2020 OT back in the mix. The teardown/construction was supposed to have started in July or August of 2016.

Comment

• Pretty certain it will start right after the NCAAs....no matter what the ultimate plan looks like.

Comment

• If they sell sections of bleacher seating as souvenirs, I'll buy one. Or sections of track like they did with the London 2012 track when they installed a new one for the 2017 WC.

Comment

• The current Hayward track is new enough that it should be considered for repurposing at some other venue, even as a gift.

Comment

• My kids' HS track is deteriorating. Highest all-weather track in the country. My son sent a letter to someone at NIKE in charge of PR or outreach or such, asking if they would consider helping fund a new one. No go, but I'll suggest this to him and he'll write another one. Seriously. To whom should he send it? Vin? Phil? Who's in charge of the project?

Comment

• Can they really pick up and relocate a track, in sections, or in rolls depending on the material?

Comment

• I presume it comes in rolls...

I suspect there is no plan to keep the existing surface....not heard anything about what they plan to do with it....you maybe be able to buy it cheap.

The high altitude you are at must be brutal on a track....I know that was a problem at Boulder.

Comment

Working...
                                X