X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    The acoustics dynamic at Hayward already took a major hit when moved the East Grandstand back to accomodate the new track. It didn't take much change in difference to reduce the effect of one side's noise reaching the other. (This assessment from spending a lot of time on the infield during big Eugene meets through the years)
    Interesting acoustical engineering issue as it relates to both old and new Hayward. Not my area of expertise by any means but having heard stories for decades about the sometimes unintended consequences of freeway sound-walls on neighborhoods miles away has clued me in that acoustics is not always intuitive.

Similarly, the unintended wind-tunnel effects when in 1970 or so, they enclosed the San Francisco Giant's Candlestick Park to add thousands of new seats so the 49ers would move there from Kezar Stadium. For those who may be shaky on their Kezar knowledge, from my era think John Brodie, Gene Washington, Ken Willard and the others, not to mention old-school folks a bit before my time such as Frankie Albert and then the Million Dollar Backfield. If you have a strong stomach, there is this scene from the original Dirty Harry for the all-time grimmest fictional non-football uses of Kezar.

On one of my occasional days watching my Giants at Candlestick, a day when Fernando Valenzuela was mowing down the home team, I saw the wind pick up a folded & rubber-banded Sunday SF Chronicle from the first deck and blow it over my upper-section head and out of the stadium. In those long-lost days the SFC was kinda the west coast version of the NYT, so was compelled to publish a phone book every Sunday, so the edition that flew overhead was a hefty chunck of newspaper beef back in the day . . .

Last edited by bad hammy; 06-25-2020, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Rupp's 10,000 AR Friday night at Pre 2014 might have been louder than any Carolina basketball game I ever attended.

In my modest Hayward experience, another memorable moment was watching an usher kick Art Venegas out of the West Grandstand seats near the finish line, good viewing spot for the men's shot competition, as he did not have a ticket for that section (USATF 2015?) There were any number of empty spots on the bleachers so seating was not at a premium.
    Last edited by DrJay; 06-25-2020, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

The acoustics dynamic at Hayward already took a major hit when moved the East Grandstand back to accomodate the new track. It didn't take much change in difference to reduce the effect of one side's noise reaching the other. (This assessment from spending a lot of time on the infield during big Eugene meets through the years)
    Definitely. ...As I wrote before Bjorklund's comeback in the 1976 Trials 10,000 was the loudest I ever heard at Hayward or any track meet I attended. It was incredibly loud. I was 20 rows up from the finish line.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Since I usually sit in the West grandstand, I hadn't thought about the sun. You're right--that can be an issue in the East at certain times of the day, and it certainly was a problem in the old Hayward unless you were sitting pretty high up.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Apart from the exposure issue, there's also the acoustics. One of the best things about the old Hayward was that the roof was low and covered much of the seating, which created a great atmosphere when the stands were full or nearly full. The high roof that doesn't extend as far as the old one did could diminish the impact of the cheering crowd. It's still better than the totally open, uncovered track facilities that I've seen, but it might not be quite the same as what it was.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    This luddite doesn't have an instagram account so didn't see the video.

As to tandfman's concerns, the curved overhangs let light through, so even if you are underneath them there is filtered sunlight. No idea if they let water through too. They do not cover more than maybe the top ten-fifteen rows of the stadium, best as I can tell, leaving many/most folks out in the open. Also, east side folks will get essentially no coverage to block the setting sun - you'll be staring in the sun all afternoon.

Haven't chatted with Ed Fox about this but now that I'm officially a signed & paid-up member of the T&FN 2022 WC Tour I was planning on lobbying for the group to buy a block of seats on the west side for those of us who are all-day-sun-in-eyes-averse.

Acoustically the curved roof could serve to reflect sound - not sure how acoustics work with their materials & shapes. At least the roof design allowed them to install a hundred or so cool wood support beams cut in the shape of the Nike swoosh.

Last edited by bad hammy; 06-25-2020, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    My concern about the new Hayward remains that from everything I've seen, including that video, many seats are not covered by the roof. The lower section of seats closest to the track seems to be exposed to the rain. That might not be an issue in late June, when the Trials are scheduled to be held, or in mid-summer, when the World Championships will be held. But for all of the U. of Oregon meets in April and May, it certainly could be an issue. It has been known to rain in Oregon, you know. 😉

Apart from the exposure issue, there's also the acoustics. One of the best things about the old Hayward was that the roof was low and covered much of the seating, which created a great atmosphere when the stands were full or nearly full. The high roof that doesn't extend as far as the old one did could diminish the impact of the cheering crowd. It's still better than the totally open, uncovered track facilities that I've seen, but it might not be quite the same as what it was.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Definitely cool.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    That is spectacular looking.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    My son texted me this little video link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3E_fDB...id=bosoxli1mm1

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile....15th open again...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    see story on home page: Oregon takes formal possession of new Hayward

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Jolly good.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    '20 Pac-12 announced for Hayward (brief notice on home page)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X