Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I don't recall that Hayward is in a particularly windy area. Nor do I think it's near a geographical feature like San Francisco Bay that would tend to create or enhance winds.

Nonetheless, having spent many meets on the infield I can tell you that there are nearly always gusty winds (as anemometer readings will attest) on the field of play.

Comment

• On Tuesday a few of us got on the track and jogged around it....I was kind of surprised at the wind gusts on what was a pretty calm day.

Comment

• Since the prevailing wind is from the north in Eugene during the summer months, I don't see an issue with the design.

Comment

• Knight's favored design has alienated people with whom he has had long personal and/or professional relationships. Among them are the sons of his beloved coach and fellow Nike co-founder BIll Bowerman, the sisters of distance legend Steve Prefontaine, a spiritual guiding star for Nike, and Tinker Hatfield, the brilliant designer who is Nike's vice president for design and special projects.

Bowerman's sons are so adamantly opposed to the nine-story tower planned for the new stadium's northeast corner, that Knight reluctantly has agreed to take their dad's name off of it.

The R-G's Austin Meek has the story about the conflict and the resolution, which includes the tower but stripping Bowerman's name from it.

Going ahead with it anyway makes me question if the point of the tower ever was to honor Bowerman.

I haven't seen Knight address Hatfield's concerns about the new design's functionality.

In an email to me, Hatfield wondered whether the purpose for the new design is just to look spectacular on television.

If so, that would seem antithetical to the ethos that made Nike so successful as a company.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...rt_river_index

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

In an email to me, Hatfield wondered whether the purpose for the new design is just to look spectacular on television.
            Which would bely the look on TV from the arena named after his son which is awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
              Which would bely the look on TV from the arena named after his son which is awful.
              Quite possibly the ugliest basketball court I have ever seen.

Comment

• Robert Melnick, former dean of the University of Oregon School of Architecture....

UO sidesteps its design process with Hayward Field project

...the university is not listening to its neighbors, is not asking the right questions, and is not abiding by its own procedures.

http://www.registerguard.com/opinion...-field-project
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

UO sidesteps its design process with Hayward Field project
                  ...the university is not listening to its neighbors, is not asking the right questions, and is not abiding by its own procedures.
                  To rephrase an old ad line: "When Phil Knight talks, people listen . . . and do as he says."

Comment

• Yea Knight thinks like that too....

"Knight told Meek he has been surprised by the intensity of the backlash to his preferred design."

A lot of people in town are not pleased...especially when procedures are being run over...

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2018/06...o-take-action/
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-03-2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• So Phil Knight admits that his decision to bulldoze the East Grandstand will piss off much of the Eugene community, including a bunch of Bowermans and Prefontaines, but doesn't give a fuck. On the surface he's the financial savior of T&F in the US but in essence he's just another rich dude who inflicts his will on folks because he can, regardless of what they think.

All the moves they’ve made concerning Hayward Field since the initial announcement of a renovation that included the East Grandstand have either been evasive or heavy-handed BS. And the tower is just a big dick-extender.

I may not be the right person to be a bullhorn for the historic East Grandstand - I've only been in town for a few years - but I hate BS bait & switches and I hate BS dictatorial decrees and I hate BS out-of-place architecture.
                      Last edited by bad hammy; 06-05-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• I agree with that assessment....His pettiness with the Prefontaine sisters is telling.....the trifle amount he spent on that rock....making Nike athletes compete in a Nike meet??? and they dare have a different opinion....a true egomaniac.

“The Prefontaines have been particularly aggressive in their criticism, Linda and Neta,” Knight said, noting that he paid for the maintenance of Pre’s Rock and struck deals to make sure Nike’s top athletes competed in the Prefontaine Classic. “That, to me, is harder to take. Obviously Pre is special to me and special to this company.”

Bringing the WC to Eugene was not for the meet...but an opportunity to build a monument for himself.

And all for one meet....also speculation in town is after Knight passes on if not beforehand..the Pre meet will come to an end....then what.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

.also speculation in town is after Knight passes on if not beforehand..the Pre meet will come to an end....
                          Which part of town? The corner by the 7-11 where the aggressively lazy panhandlers hang out?

Comment

• A mindless stupid comment...but not unexpected...

It was Peter Thompson....and gh has also stated the same...

That track in Nikeland is living on borrowed time is apparent to anyone paying attention.
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-05-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Then just say Peter Thompson said it. That carries a lot more weight than "speculation in town" does.

Comment

• You can't tell from the photo, but that is the old East Grandstand surrounded by modern, new construction in the Tinker Hatfield plan:

You can't tell, but that is the old East Grandstand floating away. You can't quite see them, but piloting the ship there's Conor, and Peter Thompson, and Tinker and the Prefontaine sisters, and more. It and they are going into the West, over the Sea, following Gandalf and Bilbo, Frodo and Galadriel, Elrond and more, passing out of time and memory. Going to a place where there is a magical track waiting for a grandstand, where Pre and Nurmi, Hagg and Zatopek, Bannister and Brasher and Chataway, Quax, Lovelock, Van Damme and Malinowski, and others, circle the oval endlessly, as if in a dream, an athletics version of Field of Dreams:

Last edited by DrJay; 06-06-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X