Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Pre is spinning in his grave.....
    if Pre were still alive he'd be a very rich retired man, sitting on the Nike BOD and and being a driving force for the construction of this facility.
    Last edited by gh; 04-17-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me at all....I'm sure he would have drunk the Phil Knight kool aid by now...he drank everything else....

How are they going to go from 30,000 down to 12,000 from those plans...probably not....

The bill for Having an egomaniac billionaire for an alumnus has finally come in...
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-17-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Swell...comparing a residential area in Eugene....to European cities....

Again they can put this crap anywhere....
        Ok, where did I compare a residential area in Eugene to a European city? I was talking about just the stadium.

As for the new stadium is "crap", don't you think you need to see the finished product before you come to that conclusion? Come on now, lighten up. Scheeese!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
          Ok, where did I compare a residential area in Eugene to a European city? I was talking about just the stadium.

As for the new stadium is "crap", don't you think you need to see the finished product before you come to that conclusion? Come on now, lighten up. Scheeese!!!!
          What finished product....it's going to be a white elephant after the WCs...
          I haven't even gotten started....it is crap....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            What finished product....it's going to be a white elephant after the WCs...
            I haven't even gotten started....it is crap....
            Ok. Whatever.

Comment

Tell us how you really feel Conor. lol

Comment

Maybe the tower doubles as a cell phone tower? Offsets a little of the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  tell us how you really feel conor. Lol
                  lol!!!!!

Comment

Give it another century and this too will be historic.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                      Maybe the tower doubles as a cell phone tower? Offsets a little of the cost?
                      Zipline takeoff platform.

Comment

Ok, I've figured it out. I....we (I'll speak for all of you all, collectively)...want to see the World's in the US and ideally Eugene because we love watching field and track in Eugene. I/we want Hayward to be more comfortable with regard to seats and legroom and stadium egress as such. But I/we don't want to lose Hayward's feel, Hayward's tradition, Hayward's memories. Hayward is our own special, familiar, cozy place. It's not just Anybody's stadium. It doesn't belong to anyone who's not a serious track fan, who can't give you some approximation of the mile or 110H WR progression off the top of their head. It's not a spinoff of the 1970s' Busch nor Three Rivers nor Riverfront stadiums (which is kinda what the new Hayward reminds me of). But we can't have it both ways. We can't both keep the old Hayward and have the Worlds in Eugene. And having seen the artist's rendition, I'm kind of agreeing with Conor. Really, the only reason the old is being completely demolished for the new is the 2021 Worlds.

The new Hayward Field would look pretty cool, pretty spiffy, along the Willamette River in downtown Portland, or in the right location in Minneapolis or Seattle. But it just doesn't fit on Agate St. Gone will be the feel of the area. There's something special about going to a meet at Hayward, then out to dinner, then a few pints at the Wild Duck, then wandering past Hayward again at 11pm on the way back to somewhere, and peering in the open gates to where some amazing things just happened a few hours earlier. But now it's quiet and, while the bright lights are still on, the fans have gone home and the athletes back to their hotel rooms and the trash has been swept up, but you know that tomorrow it will all happen again, and again, until the end of the Trials or NCAAs or USATF, and then on that last night you peer in, wistfully knowing it's over for good once more, but only until next time, a year or three later.

Somehow, I just don't think the feeling will be the same.
                        Last edited by DrJay; 04-18-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Thank you, DrJay.

Comment

I think GH and some others might agree with me about the wonderfulness of this new design if simply because it means we don't have to climb Everest to get to the press "box" anymore.

Comment

I must say, I really do not understand the complaints. The Brits who lamented the demise of the cavalry. It does not look that they are re-developing 1000 acres of the area. The longer and more strident the complaints, the less I pay them heed. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" [except that I do not doubt Conor's sincerity whatsoever].

I do think that the design will shield the winds, reducing problems in the vault and making the 400s a bit quick, though it might have the opposite affects on the 100s and 200s.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Is it April 1 again? That looks like a joke. (Esp. the tower).

Pre is spinning in his grave.

On the other hand, when it's done, it will probably be very impressive.
                                Hey, you've got a career in politics, as you've mastered the art of taking both sides of an issue. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X