Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I seem to recall reading that at the actual service, the clock was started as the speakers spoke and stopped after they finished intentionally at 12:36.
    Indeed it did..Pre's goal for 3 miles....but the film makers had previously made 'Hoop Dreams' and still thought it was a basketball game....I believe for the video version they corrected it.

Comment

• Austin Meek in the RG today writing about the MacChesneys....

"This is yet another example of how Oregon took a delicate process and addressed it with all the subtlety of a wrecking ball. The university had six years to renovate Hayward Field before the 2021 World Championships. That time could have been spent reaching out to the stadium’s many patrons, heading off potential controversies, making plans to preserve items with sentimental or functional value.

Instead, the UO made a premature announcement, wasted years on behind-the-scenes dithering, then ramrodded a total rebuild with little regard for community support. Even if the finished product ends up being spectacular, it will be hard to forget the dysfunctional process that preceded it.

Nobody’s putting it on a plaque, but Phil Knight’s quote about being the most reviled man in Eugene hangs over the whole project."

http://www.registerguard.com/sports/...-hayward-field

Comment

• Of course the next question is where everyone will stay during the World Championships...Eugene is not very big....the Trials are a strain enough on hotels...

Comment

• a suitable master housing plan had to be part of the bid or the IAAF never would have made the award of the meet.

Comment

• I5 will be well used....reserve your rooms in Salem now...
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-24-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Has anyone commented on TrackTown USA's logo? Check the upper left here.

https://www.gotracktownusa.com

Comment

• Oh my god....reminds me of the video they used to sell the idea of Hayward to the IAAF emphasizing the East Grandstand...
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-25-2018, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• And the pin set...on sale now...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-25-2018, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    I5 will be well used....reserve your rooms in Salem now...
                    have you ever been to a World Championships? Guess how far/long away from the stadium fans have been in places like Beijing, Tokyo, Paris, Rome and London. Nobody expects a WC to be a walkup meet (although Göteborg and Helsinki were close).

Comment

• I don't see your point exactly....those are big metropolitan areas and folks still have to travel far...

Anyways I am not trying to argue about it or criticize....or whether the meet should be here...that ship has sailed...just an observation....just curious how far people might have to travel every day...not often a big event like this is staged in such a small city...

I presume practically everything in town will be taken by people connected to the meet...
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-25-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        I don't see your point exactly....those are big metropolitan areas and folks still have to travel far...

Anyways I am not trying to argue about it or criticize....or whether the meet should be here...that ship has sailed...just an observation....just curious how far people might have to travel every day...not often a big event like this is staged in such a small city...

I presume practically everything in town will be taken by people connected to the meet...
                        I guess you could make a killing putting your place up on airbnb that week if you can't stand to attend the meet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                          I guess you could make a killing putting your place up on airbnb that week if you can't stand to attend the meet.
                          Oh dear...Nothing would make me happier than the meet is a huge success and the new stadium is the best thing that ever happened in this town...

I'm looking forward to the meet..I'll probably volunteer in some way.. .. I think it would have been wise to save the East Grandstand for various practical reasons...nostalgia the very least... But what is done is done...
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-25-2018, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• I am flabbergasted by the 100s of 1000s of presumably ordinary people who have traveled thousands of mile to watch there home boys play (possibly no more than) three 90 minute games at undetermined locations scattered all over Russia.
                            How do they arrange housing and transportation every two days?

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              I am flabbergasted by the 100s of 1000s of presumably ordinary people who have traveled thousands of mile to watch there home boys play (possibly no more than) three 90 minute games at undetermined locations scattered all over Russia.
                              How do they arrange housing and transportation every two days?

Group play matches are roughly a week apart, and the locations were announced well in advance. The knockout rounds are closer together (4-6 days), but once your team is seeded in the round of 16 you can know when and where matches will be for the rest of the tournament (assuming your team advances).

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                                taking a dispassionate look at the situation, I would surmise that given that East is on a an access road and West is not, it's far more logical to get the smaller (and lacking concrete, basically) structure out of the way before tackling the big, more complex structure and trying to get machinery in/out/around the smaller one.
                                My take is that, as is common in contentious developments, once the legal road is clear developers move bulldozers in immediately, making further arguments or legal maneuvers moot.

Drove by the place today - that was depressing . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X