X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Yes....his books are great...also Young Men and Fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fir...g+men+and+fire
    Ya know, I bought that book, and its one of those ones that sat on the shelf. Not sure I have it anymore but I never read it.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I love that soliloquy at the end of A River Runs Through It - "The river was cut by the world's great flood, and runs over rocks from the basement of time. Under the rocks are the words - and some of the words are theirs. ... I am haunted by waters."

Yes....his books are great...also Young Men and Fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fir...g+men+and+fire

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Indeed....unfortunately Hayward day by day doesn't look much different.... just more cement...etc... kind of boring after awhile...

Will get back on the job soon..... so these interludes must do.

Don't you like my Eugene Travelogue?

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”
    I love that soliloquy at the end of A River Runs Through It - "The river was cut by the world's great flood, and runs over rocks from the basement of time. Under the rocks are the words - and some of the words are theirs. ... I am haunted by waters."

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Indeed....unfortunately Hayward day by day doesn't look much different.... just more cement...etc... kind of boring after awhile...

Will get back on the job soon..... so these interludes must do.

Don't you like my Eugene Travelogue?

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-24-2019, 02:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Thread starting to meander, like a river.....

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile a pleasant evening over the Willamette River...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Too cold and rainy today to take pictures of Hayward2....so this will have to do....a pint at Laurelwood golf course...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-17-2019, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thedoorknobbroke
    replied
    And none of the hotel booking sites: Hotels.com, AAA, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com...allow booking this far in advance so you need to call hotel directly. I did a month ago and was able to book rooms 1 mile from track. Also, I called 4 motels less than 1/2 mile from campus and they all said they have not yet opened their calendars for the dates of WC's and would not do so until approx. Aug. 2020. Sounds like some inside jobs might book rooms before public has a chance.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 01-05-2019, 03:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I think that it is a plus if there are no 5-star hotels (even 4-star) for the spoiled brats that control things.
    I think there is one AAA 4-Diamond boutique hotel with just 69 rooms, but your point is well taken.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    I think that it is a plus if there are no 5-star hotels (even 4-star) for the spoiled brats that control things.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    In the few years I've been here Eugene has upped its hotel game in the type of property I like to stay: not the Four Seasons (no such thing here), not a bargain, but good "suites" hotels. I was partial to both the LaQuinta & Marriott Residence Inn on the river when coming to town 'cause they're nice and you can walk along the river to the track. Home2Suties is a nice new place you can walk to from Hayward plus there are others new or going up within easy driving distance. airbnb works too.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I have no idea and don't forget the VIPs from various countries will be grabbing most of the stock....especially the new rooms. Eugene is not a very big town. And except for the university there isn't much need for a lot of new hotel rooms, especially for a oneoff event. Unless you've made your reservations already you may be in for a long drive every day.

This is the biggest problem I thought about having a 10 day international event in a city of 168,000.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-03-2019, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Multiple large hotels are in various planning stages around the Eugene area, with at least two likely to break ground in 2019 and up to four hoping to open their doors in time for the major track meets.

https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...-bring-in-2019
    It is not clear from the story what is meant by "large hotels." The story lists four planned hotels, for a total of about 400 rooms. Any idea how that compares to the existing hotel room inventory? Seems like it only adds space for perhaps 1,000 additional visitors.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile...

As a massive renovation of the stadium continues throughout 2019, the venue's hosting of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials and the 2021 World Championships figures to bring a wide range of support infrastructure such as new lodging across the Eugene-Springfield area.

The University of Oregon is working to renovate student dormitories into housing for athletes and possibly guests ahead of the premier athletic events, with tens of thousands of visitors from around the world expected for the World Championships in particular.

Multiple large hotels are in various planning stages around the Eugene area, with at least two likely to break ground in 2019 and up to four hoping to open their doors in time for the major track meets.

https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...-bring-in-2019

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Right...Uncle Phil spends $200m to build his stadium and not get the WC....story doesn't make a lot of sense.

Pre at Stanford...did Pre actually ever run there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X