Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    if Pre were still alive he'd be a very rich retired man, sitting on the Nike BOD and and being a driving force for the construction of this facility.
    That's telling 'em Garrrrrry!

Comment

It looks absolutely spectacular!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        I think GH and some others might agree with me about the wonderfulness of this new design if simply because it means we don't have to climb Everest to get to the press "box" anymore.
        ADA requirements will mean elevators

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
          Is this accurate? The field doesn't look nearly long enough for 90m+ throws.
          of course it's not; it's an artist's rendering, but even at that, look at where the javelin runway ends, which is almost equal to the finishline, and then look at where the 100 start is, which is before the end of the infield.

Put another way; Hayward is currently an IAAF Class 1 facility and the javelin runway is totally inside the infield. It's not an impossible bit of geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
            Ok, I've figured it out. I....we (I'll speak for all of you all, collectively)...want to see the World's in the US and ideally Eugene because we love watching field and track in Eugene. I/we want Hayward to be more comfortable with regard to seats and legroom and stadium egress as such. But I/we don't want to lose Hayward's feel, Hayward's tradition, Hayward's memories. Hayward is our own special, familiar, cozy place. It's not just Anybody's stadium. It doesn't belong to anyone who's not a serious track fan, who can't give you some approximation of the mile or 110H WR progression off the top of their head. It's not a spinoff of the 1970s' Busch nor Three Rivers nor Riverfront stadiums (which is kinda what the new Hayward reminds me of). But we can't have it both ways. We can't both keep the old Hayward and have the Worlds in Eugene. And having seen the artist's rendition, I'm kind of agreeing with Conor. Really, the only reason the old is being completely demolished for the new is the 2021 Worlds.

The new Hayward Field would look pretty cool, pretty spiffy, along the Willamette River in downtown Portland, or in the right location in Minneapolis or Seattle. But it just doesn't fit on Agate St. Gone will be the feel of the area. There's something special about going to a meet at Hayward, then out to dinner, then a few pints at the Wild Duck, then wandering past Hayward again at 11pm on the way back to somewhere, and peering in the open gates to where some amazing things just happened a few hours earlier. But now it's quiet and, while the bright lights are still on, the fans have gone home and the athletes back to their hotel rooms and the trash has been swept up, but you know that tomorrow it will all happen again, and again, until the end of the Trials or NCAAs or USATF, and then on that last night you peer in, wistfully knowing it's over for good once more, but only until next time, a year or three later.

Somehow, I just don't think the feeling will be the same.
            Dr Jay! That's right how you put it I couldn't agree more ....little more diplomatic than I have put it....but yes in Portland it would fit in well.

I am not opposed to a fancy stadium....but there is zero reason this has to be at 15th and Agate except for Phil Knight's ego....
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-18-2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

from the ERG, making things sound a little less white-elephantish:

<<The University of Oregon unveiled its vision of a new Hayward Field on Tuesday afternoon, a 12,900-seat venue the school is boasting will be “the finest track and field facility in the world.”

The project, which will involve a complete teardown of the current structures, will begin construction in June and will be completed by spring 2020, according to the school. It will include what Oregon describes as state-of-the-art locker rooms, practice spaces and athletic medicine rooms. In addition, students and researchers in the UO’s human physiology department will be given new laboratory and classroom spaces.....>>

Sounds like a building any university (and mid-sized city) should be damned proud of.

Comment

Those of us who endure EVERY meet at Hayward, those of us who show up and watch entire decathlons, those of us who are DUCK fans who actually attend meets are thrilled with the new design, much as we were thrilled when Matt Court replaced Mac Court. The existing facility is hopelessly out of date and the lack of comfort for even a three hour meet is a real factor. Hayward is about the performances at Hayward, not the structure. Nothing happens in the stands except, perhaps, people griping about the legroom, stumbling down aisles with no rails, or craning their necks to see around the posts. And, yes, if you read the link you will see that the actual number of rows is quite a bit less than the depictions show. Max 9 rows in the lower bowl and 18 rows above the boxes, thus the seating capacity will be only about 13,000. Will the Pepsi Meet seem rather empty with 5000 fans? Yes, but that's a small price to pay for the huge meets the facility will continue to attract for decades.
                Last edited by bruce3404; 04-18-2018, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  from the ERG, making things sound a little less white-elephantish:

<<The University of Oregon unveiled its vision of a new Hayward Field on Tuesday afternoon, a 12,900-seat venue the school is boasting will be “the finest track and field facility in the world.”

The project, which will involve a complete teardown of the current structures, will begin construction in June and will be completed by spring 2020, according to the school. It will include what Oregon describes as state-of-the-art locker rooms, practice spaces and athletic medicine rooms. In addition, students and researchers in the UO’s human physiology department will be given new laboratory and classroom spaces.....>>

Sounds like a building any university (and mid-sized city) should be damned proud of.
                  That looks more like some nonsensical press release....it will be great...trust us...and who cares about the physiology students...that can go anywhere...

I'd love to see what the actual 12,000 stadium will look like...how are they going to go from 30,000 to 12,000? The London Olympic Stadium had the same grandiose plans to turn it into a soccer stadium....that hasn't worked so well....

https://www.theguardian.com/football...chard-williams
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-18-2018, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Looks like a great place to watch a track & field meet !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
                      Hey, you've got a career in politics, as you've mastered the art of taking both sides of an issue. Congrats!
                      I was serious. I HATE the loss of the old HF, but I am progressive enough to welcome a new idea. It will grow on ALL of us. In 25 years we'll have enough cognitive dissonance to remember the old HF as being too antiquated and out of touch with state-of-the-art stadia.

Comment

Maybe Uncle Phil can have them take it apart and reassemble it in some open space and people can come to see it like the ball field in "Field of Dreams".

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          That looks more like some nonsensical press release....it will be great...trust us...and who cares about the physiology students...that can go anywhere...

I'd love to see what the actual 12,000 stadium will look like...how are they going to go from 30,000 to 12,000? The London Olympic Stadium had the same grandiose plans to turn it into a soccer stadium....that hasn't worked so well....
                          This is silly. The conversion of the Olympic Stadium to Soccer (sorry non-Americans) is complicated because putting the seat up to the field requires different geometry. What is the equivalent 'conversion' here? To use it for a smaller meet might require block off some sections and somehow the $25 for tape to do that is not quite on par with the hundreds of millions to convert the track and field facility to soccer.

Maybe the best phrase here is the one noting that what makes Hayward Field special is the history of performances and those are all on the track and in the field. And I like have a bit more closure around the field to diminish the wind issues.

Comment

Just say you don't know what you are talking about and leave it at that....what is this 12,000 going to look like? Zero news on that..Blocking off sections is idiotic..and except for this stupid one off meet.....there is no reason for anything bigger.

I think it will be just a big white elephant like most if not all stadiums become after a one off event....all this for Phil Knight's ego....

I think a 12,000 stadium even without the East Grandstand would be fine...if done right....but there is no plans out there showing what that will look like....just this huge thing that is way too big for any other meets...
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-18-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Wow...lots of premature slamming here...
                              At least take into consideration that expansion was necessary to make the stadium suitable for the WC. I'd like to sit inside the venue at various positions before dogging the construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                .....all this for Phil Knight's ego..........
                                let's see, so far Phil's ego has given UO a law school building, a cutting-edge basketball court cum concert center, the athlete center.... yup, he's really screwing the place up

Comment

Working...
                                X