• gh
    replied
    that's just a pickup of the NY Post story linked in post 477

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Another review:

https://en.brinkwire.com/news/think-...nge-your-mind/

The headline: Think Nike’s woke? Phil Knight’s castration of the University of Oregon might change your mind

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The last paragraph from the Times...

Persuade someone to read “University of Nike” in 50 words or less.

More than ever, it’s really important for Americans to closely examine the costs of abandoning public institutions and hand them over to corporate interests to save a few dollars on our tax bills. This is a case study of what happens when we do that. Spoiler alert: It ends badly.

Leave a comment:

• player
    replied
    Full title is “University of Nike: How Corporate Cash Bought American Higher Education”.

NY Post review leads with Knight's forcing the firing of Martin Smith:

"In 2005, Nike Chairman and co-founder Phil Knight issued a shocking mandate to his alma mater, the University of Oregon.

He told the university’s athletic director, Bill Moos, to fire his track and field coach Martin Smith.

At the time, Moos was the most successful athletic director in the school’s history, and he and Knight enjoyed a strong, decade-long relationship. But on this point, Moos disagreed — he refused to fire Smith.

For Knight, who is currently Forbes’ 16th richest person in the US, this was unacceptable.

He told university president Dave Frohnmayer that he wanted both Smith and Moos gone, and that he would withhold much-needed funding for the construction of the school’s new basketball arena until it was done.

Smith was forced out in late 2005; Moos left, after much pressure, in 2007. Knight then insisted that Pat Kilkenny, a university donor with no experience in college athletics, replace Moos. Again, Knight got his way."

https://nypost.com/2018/10/20/how-ni...ege-donations/

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile...

A new book is out...The University of Nike.... this doesn't really surprise me....

"What’s the most surprising thing you learned while writing it?

I was really shocked to learn the lengths that Phil Knight went to in order to get his way when it came to dictating how the University of Oregon would be run, like during a well-publicized disagreement over a student protest movement that called on Nike for things like spot inspections at its factories for possible human rights violations.

Publicly, Knight did the sorts of things you might expect a billionaire corporate benefactor to do when a school he supports criticized his company. It wasn’t news to me that he had withdrawn some promised funds for renovations at a stadium at the school, but I was shocked to learn some of the personal things he did behind the scenes to the university’s president Dave Frohnmayer to twist his arm. I don’t call it extortion in the book, but one of the sources I quote does call it that."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/b...e=sectionfront

Leave a comment:

• thedoorknobbroke
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Talked a construction worker at the Wild Duck this week and mentioned they seemed to be moving along well... And he said they actually are behind schedule...
    probably due to all the rain!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Talked to a construction worker at the Wild Duck this week and mentioned they seemed to be moving along well... And he said they actually are behind schedule...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-22-2018, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Will do...fascinating to watch....half dozen cranes...

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Keep the weekly pic coming. Thanks, Conor.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-16-2018, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    construction "turns corner" says Register-Guard today (story on home page).

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Giovanni Lanaro has been posting Mt SAC updates on his Facebook, things are moving along nicely there too. I think the updates have been friends only, probably no sense in me trying to share.
    https://www.mtsac.edu/construction/livecam.html

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Giovanni Lanaro has been posting Mt SAC updates on his Facebook, things are moving along nicely there too. I think the updates have been friends only, probably no sense in me trying to share.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Solid structures now....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X