Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread starting to meander, like a river.....

Comment

• Indeed....unfortunately Hayward day by day doesn't look much different.... just more cement...etc... kind of boring after awhile...

Will get back on the job soon..... so these interludes must do.

Don't you like my Eugene Travelogue?

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-24-2019, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Indeed....unfortunately Hayward day by day doesn't look much different.... just more cement...etc... kind of boring after awhile...

Will get back on the job soon..... so these interludes must do.

Don't you like my Eugene Travelogue?

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”
        I love that soliloquy at the end of A River Runs Through It - "The river was cut by the world's great flood, and runs over rocks from the basement of time. Under the rocks are the words - and some of the words are theirs. ... I am haunted by waters."

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          I love that soliloquy at the end of A River Runs Through It - "The river was cut by the world's great flood, and runs over rocks from the basement of time. Under the rocks are the words - and some of the words are theirs. ... I am haunted by waters."

Yes....his books are great...also Young Men and Fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fir...g+men+and+fire

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Yes....his books are great...also Young Men and Fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fir...g+men+and+fire
            Ya know, I bought that book, and its one of those ones that sat on the shelf. Not sure I have it anymore but I never read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              Ya know, I bought that book, and its one of those ones that sat on the shelf. Not sure I have it anymore but I never read it.
              If you know the story on which it is based it is a haunting tale...especially for MacLean... I've read it at least twice...

Comment

• I know the story from having first learned of it from James Keelaghan's song "Cold Missouri Waters" - Keelaghan is a Canadian folk singer

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Back to the our original story...

Comment

• Before we leave the river diversion, let me mention that the Mackenzie River, just outside of Eugene, is also very scenic. A few years ago, during one of the Olympic Trials, I took a boat trip on the Mackenzie. Totally delightful way to spend a few hours.
                    Last edited by tandfman; 01-25-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• The Mackenzie is a lovely river... I love the drive east out of town along it.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Here, tonight, is our golf course in town, Laurelwood only a mile from Hayward..

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                          Before we leave the river diversion, let me mention that the Mackenzie River, just outside of Eugene, is also very scenic. A few years ago, during one of the Olympic Trials, I took a boat trip on the Mackenzie. Totally delightful way to spend a few hours.
                          In the RG today...

https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...mckenzie-river

Comment

• Thinking it might be fun to kayak the Willamette from below the Dexter Reservoir to Eugene on an off-day during the OT. Looking at GoogleMap satellite views, it looks pretty benign. Any thoughts? My kids and I had a decent bit of flat-water kayaking experience and four days and 44 miles off the east side of Quadra Island (by Vancouver Island), but no rivers. Short of doing something obviously stupid, like padding into a fallen tree, it looks okay.

Comment

• We couldn't figure out what this orange thing was and so we asked....its a scale model they are practicing with....

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                                Thinking it might be fun to kayak the Willamette from below the Dexter Reservoir to Eugene on an off-day during the OT. Looking at GoogleMap satellite views, it looks pretty benign. Any thoughts? My kids and I had a decent bit of flat-water kayaking experience and four days and 44 miles off the east side of Quadra Island (by Vancouver Island), but no rivers. Short of doing something obviously stupid, like padding into a fallen tree, it looks okay.
                                The Willamette is very popular with kayakers.... I don't think it's that difficult...certainly not like the Mackenzie...

https://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/...tte-river/991/
                                Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-02-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X