Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Rupp's 10,000 AR Friday night at Pre 2014 might have been louder than any Carolina basketball game I ever attended.

In my modest Hayward experience, another memorable moment was watching an usher kick Art Venegas out of the West Grandstand seats near the finish line, good viewing spot for the men's shot competition, as he did not have a ticket for that section (USATF 2015?) There were any number of empty spots on the bleachers so seating was not at a premium.
    I was at the 2014 Pre Classic and the 1976 Olympic Trials and I still think the 1972 5,000 finals at the Olympic Trials (Pre & George Young) was the loudest crowd noise I have heard at Hayward.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

I was at the 2014 Pre Classic and the 1976 Olympic Trials and I still think the 1972 5,000 finals at the Olympic Trials (Pre & George Young) was the loudest crowd noise I have heard at Hayward.
      In my short history with Hayward I'd go with 2008 OT m800 final - even with earplugs in that hurt . . .

Comment

• You're right bad hammy. My ears were ringing from that men's 800 for several hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
          I was planning on lobbying for the group to buy a block of seats on the west side for those of us who are all-day-sun-in-eyes-averse.
          Yes, PLEASE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Yes, PLEASE!!!
            Just so Ed Fox and the folks at T&FN Tours know, for the 2022 World Champs I'd pay a definite premium for westside seats. I'm already committing to the tour package with housing even though I live in Eugene, just to ensure I have seats inside the bowl instead of in the temp bleachers. T&FN has tons more clout than most of us do to acquire good WC tickets, so Ed - please get a block of seats anywhere on the west side to compliment the usual T&FN Tour crowd on the east side across from the finish line!

Comment

• I have no idea what gh's thinking on this is but I suspect most folks on the tour would gladly pay a premium...and wouldn't they have offered that option already if they could?

So not sure how that would work..and I wouldn't be surprised most of the West Side is already spoken for.

Get a hat...and wear sunglasses.

I haven't figured out what I plan to do. I'm not worried at the moment. Something will turn up.
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-26-2020, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Get a hat...and wear sunglasses.
                That's easy for those folks without eye or sun issues to say, but thanks for the tip . . .

This will be the first and only World Champs in the USA ever, possibly never to be repeated. The idea that T&FN Tours, with their longstanding relationship with USATF, WA and the rest, in conjunction with the folks from Nike who built the T&F palace known as Hayward Field, cannot secure a block of seats on the homestretch if they so wanted, is hard to fathom.

That was a long sentence - sorry about that - but you get my point. We're two years out minimum - the T&FN Tour folks have time to make this happen.

Comment

• Not trying to be flippant but I have sun issues too! Redheads aren't sunworshippers! I've also worn glasses since I was 2. Also in Nepal I had heat stroke once with a temperature over 106...

Anyways good luck....but remember unlike the Trials the WCs have a lot of federations, officials and Sponsors to take care of. I suspect T&Fnews for all they do is on the low end of the totem pole in people to please. It's kind of amazing the tour can get any large block of seats considering there are only 12,500. Compared to past WCs sites it's more like a small get together.

Otoh who knows what the state of the sport will be like in 2 years. It could be quite radically different.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-26-2020, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Not trying to be flippant but I have sun issues too!
                    I don't have sun issues per se, but I sure do have 'looking into the sun' issues, even with dark sunglasses on. I've worn contact lenses for 53 years and my eyes have become very sensitive to light. I'm not sure T&FN can manage WG seats, but if so, I'd love to be there. If not, I'll live. I reserved my seats on the tour over a year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I don't have sun issues per se, but I sure do have 'looking into the sun' issues, even with dark sunglasses on. I've worn contact lenses for 53 years and my eyes have become very sensitive to light. I'm not sure T&FN can manage WG seats, but if so, I'd love to be there. If not, I'll live. I reserved my seats on the tour over a year ago.
                      Also the roof on the west side is quite high and will be blocking the late afternoon sun.

Comment

• We get it East Stands Dude, looking into the sun for eight days doesn't bother you. We're all happy for you. For others around here it's a problem. Consider yourself fortunate because that doubles the number of seats you'll be happy with and move on, while we sun-avoiders bitch & moan about WC seats we don't even have yet!

As for seats we do have, see you in our fine seats on the west side looking away from the sun whenever the OTs finally take place . . .
                        Last edited by bad hammy; 06-26-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Oh dear...

Anyways what about the south end. I sat there in 2016 not bad at all. And no sun in your face! Tickets there should be a lot easier to get.

Anyways I get the no sun your face deal. I don't like it either. If the old West Grandstand wasn't so horrible I would have sat there too.

I thought your plea to gh was a great idea. But when Atticus chimed in and wanted a west side ticket too, I figured the whole tour would plead for one too.

Considering that since the tour is in Cottage Grove all the local hotels are filled with officials who are going to want to sit in the west side.

As nice as the new stadium is Hatfield's design was far better for the WCs. The West Grandstand would have held at least 8000 or more and there would have been much more room on the south end for temporary seats.

It's really hard to see how they are going to get 12000 temporary in just the north end. And that is only 25,000.
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-26-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• Took another close-as-possible look at the stadium this morning. The roof on the east side covers most of the top section on that side of the stadium, probably the 15 rows downs from the top. That coverage from the sun disappears as the day goes on and the sun moves west (and recall the roof is see-thru and only filters the sunlight at best; it is not a sun block). My guess is there is very little if any sun protection on the east side after noon, so close to worthless for blocking sun at track meets. The roof on the west side only covers about the top five rows at best (the stadium is not symmetrical - the west side has a much wider concourse behind the stands) but since the sun is falling behind the west stands and I'm looking in the other direction, that's not an issue for me.

As for rain, who knows? The roof does not look waterproof but it could be. In any event there are far more seats exposed to the elements now than in the last version of Hayward Field.

Comment

• From what I have heard the roof is polarized so it should block most of the sun.

I suspect it's waterproof...but yes the lower rows are unprotected especially on the west side.

Anyways it is what it is....maybe it will be cloudy every day!
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-26-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                                My son texted me this little video link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3E_fDB...id=bosoxli1mm1
                                Just found this - maybe the same for non-instagram folks: https://twitter.com/i/status/1276000188750954496

Comment

Working...
                                X