Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMAS Day, as coined by coach Robert Johnson is about to arrive. The athletes will get their first looks at the locker rooms and underground training facilities this week. There are windows next to the indoor track that overlook the soccer fields and while there are some temporary drapes up to hide the view, a crack in the drapes here and there reveals a six lane track along with many photos of Duck athletes on the wall, celebrating not only those who achieved on the track, but also those who were great student athletes and hard working teammates. As I understand it, the facilities will rival those of the football program which drew a cover article in SI some years back when they were unveiled. There are photos of various Duck superstars above the tunnels where the lower and upper bowl meet. Pretty hard to discern who's who from outside the gates, but I know that the tunnel at the finish line features Devon Allen. The powers that be are still trying to figure out how to allow the general public access to the stadium, but with some ugly CV numbers in Eugene these past weeks and the state limitation of 100 socially isolated persons at any outdoor events, they're going to have to get creative or simply wait things out.

Comment

• Does this mean that Oregon high schoolers could have an indoor championship?

I recall when the indoor track was temporarily in Portland for the USATF Indoor Nationals and WIC, the high schoolers got to run in an indoor meet for the first time ever in Oregon. Too bad that the indoor track was sold out/of/state shortly afterwards.

Comment

• Not at Hayward. The indoor track is simply a 140 meter warm up track. However, the city of Springfield committed to build an indoor facility a few miles from Hayward. Talks are ongoing, but no new news since May of this year.
        Last edited by bruce3404; 09-29-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• I'll be amazed if that indoor track ever comes off.

Comment

• Agreed. From day one it looked like a little one-upmanship on the part of our neighbor and I doubt the average Springfield taxpayer would be happy about a facility that wouldn't get much use, though perhaps they could build something that would be multi-purpose, not unlike the set up they had in Boise some years back for the NCAA indoors. When it was first announced in 2019, they indicated that they wanted "cranes up" sometime in 2021. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              As I said..12,500 seats.
              thats pathetic for a WC in a country somewhat interested in sport .!!

Comment

• I'm curious when they will get rid of the construction fencing around Hayward. I've asked and no one knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by wibblesWOO View Post

thats pathetic for a WC in a country somewhat interested in sport .!!
                  The 12,500 seats are permanent; there will be something approaching 25-30,000 for the WCs. As larger events like the Olympic Trials and Prefontaine Meets happen, they'll have the ability to move seating in and out. The idea was to not make it so huge that it looked empty when the University of Oregon team holds home meets, where the average attendance tends to hover around 5,000. Even the Olympic stadium in London had to be re-purposed for football.

Comment

• Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post

The 12,500 seats are permanent; there will be something approaching 25-30,000 for the WCs. As larger events like the Olympic Trials and Prefontaine Meets happen, they'll have the ability to move seating in and out. The idea was to not make it so huge that it looked empty when the University of Oregon team holds home meets, where the average attendance tends to hover around 5,000. Even the Olympic stadium in London had to be re-purposed for football.
                    12,500 is about perfect. The large fear when the design came out with few details was it would be way too big.

The temporary stands are going to be something though.

Comment

yes, and every year since then it had an excess of 50,000 seats available for the WC in 2017 and annual DL meets, not the feeble rubbish presented at Oregon. Even the East European countries have better and bigger stadiums that can and do run Track and field competitons every year. Mind you , I never expected a rational admittance of how poor this Stadium will be outside the WC.

Comment

• Originally posted by wibblesWOO View Post

yes, and every year since then it had an excess of 50,000 seats available for the WC in 2017 and annual DL meets, not the feeble rubbish presented at Oregon. Even the East European countries have better and bigger stadiums that can and do run Track and field competitons every year. Mind you , I never expected a rational admittance of how poor this Stadium will be outside the WC.
                        Your lack of knowledge about our sport is stunning. The Prefontaine Classic has rated as the BEST MEET IN THE WORLD three times in the past seven years according to All-Athletics.com and that number might be higher except that I believe they stopped ranking meets in 2018-9 (help anyone?). So keep your smarmy attitude in Leeds where the last great thing that happened was the Who over 50 years ago.

Comment

Your lack of knowledge about our sport is stunning. The Prefontaine Classic has rated as the BEST MEET IN THE WORLD three times in the past seven years according to All-Athletics.com and that number might be higher except that I believe they stopped ranking meets in 2018-9 (help anyone?). So keep your smarmy attitude in Leeds where the last great thing that happened was the Who over 50 years ago.
                          Seen meets all over and Pre is the best these days.

As for stadiums and Yorkshire. They knocked down Don Valley in Sheffield a few years ago and it was only built in 1991.

Comment

Leeds where the last great thing that happened was the Who over 50 years ago.
                            Don Revie would like a word...

Comment

Not at Hayward. The indoor track is simply a 140 meter warm up track. However, the city of Springfield committed to build an indoor facility a few miles from Hayward. Talks are ongoing, but no new news since May of this year.
                              only? I remember running indoor races indoors at William & Mary on their 12 laps to the mile indoor track.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

12,500 is about perfect. The large fear when the design came out with few details was it would be way too big.

The temporary stands are going to be something though.
                                12,500 is a similar size to Crystal Palace.

In defence of Eugene vs European stadiums, most of the US is much more sparsely populated than most parts of Europe. For example, Oregon is bigger than the UK but it's population is about half that of Greater London. I would have thought that few cities of Eugene's side have a T&F stadium with a capacity in 5 figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X