Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I was so miserable I left early and watched the meet at the Wild Duck...

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Cold and rainy....
    Can you imagine how fast Aleia Hobbs would have run that day with good weather and a slight tailwind? They switched sides for the 100 and 100 hurdle finals and ended up running into the wind anyway.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 03-09-2021, 10:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Cold and rainy....
    Ah yes, I remember it well.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

McMenamins, by far the best place around to eat that is actually on the river. Eugene has not done a great job of putting fine food places on the river, in fact hardly any dining spots at all.
    Yes it is amazing easy to forget there is a major river through town...

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    McMenamins, by far the best place around to eat that is actually on the river. Eugene has not done a great job of putting fine food places on the river, in fact hardly any dining spots at all.
    Indeed. I think we ate outside facing the river. It was very nice (and that Minor League baseball game was fun!)

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    In our last visit, 2016 OT, the wife and I had a lovely walk along the river, culminating in a delightful dinner with Mrs and Mr. Hammy at a very nice restaurant on the river. I hope we can do that again next year, perhaps with other denizens of this board too!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

2018 NCAA Outdoor Championships
    Cold and rainy....

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The Graduate Hotel is worth a visit to see their collection of classic Nike shoes on display.

Meanwhile....you can touch the East side of Hayward...still can't get in....

Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-09-2021, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Can you refresh my recollection? What was the last meet at the old Hayward?
    2018 NCAA Outdoor Championships

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Before I moved to Eugene six years ago my go-to in Eugene was a top floor riverside room at the LaQuinta Inn, which is on an arm of the river, and my backup was the nearby Marriott Residence Inn, which is near but not on the river.
    Both are easy beautiful walks to the track along near the Pre Trail area of the river.A new suites guy in town I have not stayed at here in Eugene but have enjoyed in other towns is the Home2Suites, which is a little closer to the track but in town, not on the river.
    In our last visit, 2016 OT, the wife and I had a lovely walk along the river, culminating in a delightful dinner with Mrs and Mr. Hammy at a very nice restaurant on the river. I hope we can do that again next year, perhaps with other denizens of this board too!

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Anyways if you haven't been to Eugene since the old Hayward went down you are in for a shock...
    I'd qualify that a tad. The changes to Hayward Field will be obvious to anyone who has ever been there but a lot of the other changes will not be obvious to folks who haven't spent a lot of time around here. Some of the more obvious for out-of-towners are changes in major hotels, made as part of the run-up to the upcoming World Champs. They old Hilton hotel is now a updated Graduate hotel, across the street from the Graduate there is a new high-end hotel, The Inn at the 5th. In the opposite direction, the Phoenix Inn was demolished a few weeks ago.

There's a new pedestrian overpass on Franklin (not open to the public) that's kind of obvious, built to connect UO students to the new STEM campus Phil built (technically, as I recall, he's on the hook for only half of the $1billion cost). Lots of wall murals as part of the 20x21 project (20 wall murals by the now-2022 WCs). Other than that the changes are mostly just the normal or covid-related ebb & flow of business.

While rambling on about Eugene, I'll pass on my hotel tips: I'm a fan of "suites" hotels that have a reasonably full kitchen and nice walks to the track. Before I moved to Eugene six years ago my go-to in Eugene was a top floor riverside room at the LaQuinta Inn, which is on an arm of the river, and my backup was the nearby Marriott Residence Inn, which is near but not on the river. Both are easy beautiful walks to the track along near the Pre Trail area of the river. A new suites guy in town I have not stayed at here in Eugene but have enjoyed in other towns is the Home2Suites, which is a little closer to the track but in town, not on the river.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Can you refresh my recollection? What was the last meet at the old Hayward?

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Anyways if you haven't been to Eugene since the old Hayward went down you are in for a shock...
    I'm looking forward to it. Coincidentally, I watched the last meet to take place at the old Hayward (2018 NCAA Championships) with 26mi235.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 03-09-2021, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I also forgot to mention the Phil and Penny Knight Science Center with a bridge that crosses Franklin at Agate...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X