Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    ^ Makes sense. There's a reason the Stockholm (1912) Olympic Stadium is still regarded as an icon in the world of athletics, despite having undergone many track and seating renovations within the place since it opened.
    true enough, but as wonderful a bit of classic architecture that it is, it too would have to undergo some serious overall changes if it were to be considered up to snuff for the hosting of a World Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by americantrackfan View Post
      I kinda like the idea of a new name. Hayward Field will not be there anymore, just go ahead and name it after someone else.
      How about "Uncle Phil's Happy Playground"?

Comment

Jordan Hasay's Former Playground?

Galen Rupp's Pup Tent?

Alberto Salazar's Torture Chamber?

Seriously, I agree with everything Joe Henderson said!!

Comment

As much as I waxed nostalgic over a venue where my history as a fan is limited to the last eight years, I'll admit I look forward to a more comfortable stadium, and once the gun is up, most of us will be paying attention to the race at hand, not bemoaning the loss of Hayward as we knew it. Besides, it will give my kids....with one OT and two editions of Pre under their belts.... something to wax nostalgic about to THEIR kids someday.

Naming....unfortunately I expect a corporate tilt in the name, but "Nike this-or-that" sounds better than Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver Broncos' stadium). If there were to be a person's name attached to it, Pre, Bowerman, or Knight? I'd pick Pre, hands down. Bowerman built the program, but Pre created the legend.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
            ... Bowerman built the program, but Pre created the legend.
            Having competed in a collegiate dual at Hayward when Pre was still a HS junior, I can assure you that the joint rocked like no other before he ever came on board.

Comment

Wayward Field

Comment

Naming it after Pre seems weird.....

I'd prefer something completely generic.....

Anyways if in 2 years the Pre meet is there tickets will be real easy....no way that will fill 30,000
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-21-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that naming an architecturally-suspect tower, a name that will probably be shortened to BowTow, is the honor Bowerman would want.

On the other hand, after reading in Kenny Moore's book how Bowerman took great pleasure in literally pissing on his athletes and also burning them with scalding keys, I'd be fine if nothing was named after Bowerman.

Something in honor of Prefontaine works for me.

Comment

Name it after gh

Comment

shithead field?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        shithead field?
                        I believe that is pronounced shy-THEED

Comment

true enough, but as wonderful a bit of classic architecture that it is, it too would have to undergo some serious overall changes if it were to be considered up to snuff for the hosting of a World Championships.
                          How many people does the Stockholm Stadium hold now? 12,000? 15,000? I like the idea of a World Championship in a stadium with a capacity that small. It provides a far more intimate setting, and the incentive for PRs, MRs and even WRs is just about the same...

...Which is to say that, huge capacities doth not necessarily more excitement and/or better results yieldeth, as Sunderland (49,000) in the Champs' League is about to find out (once again) in 3 weeks.

Comment

shithead field?
                            Did I read right, that Phil Knight paid for the rebuilding of this facility? He might as well name it after himself, skipping over reconstruction--from classic Enterprise-to-Enterprise-A--and going straight to Enterprise-B.

And by the way, I checked the capacity of the Stockholm Stadium: 14,417. Word is that the place has 83 WRs to its credit, more than any other. How many ARs did Hayward Field have?
                            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 04-22-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                              Wayward Field
                              How about The Duckpond? >:-P

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                                Did I read right, that Phil Knight paid for the rebuilding of this facility? He might as well name it after himself, skipping over reconstruction--from classic Enterprise-to-Enterprise-A--and going straight to Enterprise-B.

And by the way, I checked the capacity of the Stockholm Stadium: 14,417. Word is that the place has 83 WRs to its credit, more than any other. How many ARs did Hayward Field have?
                                Why not buy the whole city....Knightsville.....sort of like Pottersville.....you people will do what you are told....

Comment

Working...
                                X