Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      Meanwhile in the RG story on the front page....I don't blame the students being pissed off....

University of Oregon seniors facing virtual graduation frustrated by Olympic Trials, track plans

"I just want the (Olympic) trials and graduation to be held at the same standard — so either they both happen or they both don't," said Morgan Leone, a 22-year-old UO senior graduating in June. "And if they both don't, it's unfortunate they couldn't make it happen. (People) worked really hard for both of them, but I would love to see them both happen regardless."
      I don't know the whole story, but why can't the Trials people jiggle the schedule on Graduation day to allow for the ceremony to take place at the same time----like between events on the track or field??
      How long does the Grad thing take?
      Have it between a morning and afternoon session!

Comment

• a "proper" grad ceremony requires hundreds of hotel/motel rooms for family

Comment

• That isn't the problem....basically the University thinks of the students as an afterthought....pay your tuition but just don't bother us. And the students are fed up.

If you walk around campus now just about all the fancy new buildings are off limits to students. The Jacqua Center for tutoring, Knight Arena, the Sanders softball field, the Alumni Center and Hayward Field... and not even counting the football complex across the river.. Hayward now is this huge dominating monolith and students aren't allowed in at all. Just for a small elite group. A semi pro athletic operation on a public university. Tuition keeps going up because they run a deficit each year.

I am not even sure why a nonathlete would even go to Oregon. I wouldn't recommend it.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-16-2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
            I wonder how claustrophobic it will be inside when it isn't packed. The only view you will get is the old dorms on the north end...

Comment

• In the RG today...

Comment

• There was something nice about the freedom of a university campus in a town such as Eugene, or Chapel Hill or Durham, back in the day, 1980s for me. Classroom buildings seemed to be unlocked till late at night, athletic facilities like the track indeed were open most all the time. One could freely enter the student union, the libraries and even the dorms (up till a pretty late hour) without a student ID. Things were pretty cool. I understand increased safety/security concerns, but we've lost something with that change.

Comment

• Hayward being locked up 24 hours a day has nothing to do with safety concerns....

Sure the track team is doing well. But like so what....the students never go to meets primarily they feel it has nothing to do with them...and the few in town who do are getting older and locking Hayward has created resentment with many long timers I know like the writer.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-22-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• So what school or public tracks are open in your neighborhood? Or should this be a new thread?

My old HS (William A. Writ HS, Gary, Indiana) was open, but it was a gravel track.
                    Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana (‘74) cinder track was open to the public
                    In Williamsburg, VA Lafayette HS and Walsingham Academy both had a synthetic tracks which were open in the 70’s to 90’s, as did College of William and Mary and nearby Christopher Newport University (was a college then).
                    In Pittsburgh PA, University of Pittsburgh stadium track was open to the public until torn down in 2000, while nearby Carnegie Mellon University is open, and there is a nearby track in Schenley Park, which was cinder until renovated to a synthetic surface with artificial turf soccer field inside.
                    Which means I have rarely lived anywhere where there was not a track open to the public, which i am thinking is not that common.

I also ran on a community track in West Seattle, and easily climbed under the gate for a workout at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen S View Post
                      So what school or public tracks are open in your neighborhood? Or should this be a new thread?

My old HS (William A. Writ HS, Gary, Indiana) was open, but it was a gravel track.
                      Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana (‘74) cinder track was open to the public
                      In Williamsburg, VA Lafayette HS and Walsingham Academy both had a synthetic tracks which were open in the 70’s to 90’s, as did College of William and Mary and nearby Christopher Newport University (was a college then).
                      In Pittsburgh PA, University of Pittsburgh stadium track was open to the public until torn down in 2000, while nearby Carnegie Mellon University is open, and there is a nearby track in Schenley Park, which was cinder until renovated to a synthetic surface with artificial turf soccer field inside.
                      Which means I have rarely lived anywhere where there was not a track open to the public, which i am thinking is not that common.

I also ran on a community track in West Seattle, and easily climbed under the gate for a workout at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin once.
                      A new thread would be better....there is a nice 400 meter track just a quarter mile down the road from my house.

Comment

• Meanwhile.... things are going in the wrong direction here. They may not let anyone inside Hayward.

Lane County could move back to 'extreme risk' April 30, closing indoor dining

https://www.registerguard.com/story/...ms/7356847002/

Comment

• https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/artic...-championships
                          NCAA is ok with 50% capacity for upcoming outdoor championships. So any number less than that is up to state/local officials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            Meanwhile.... things are going in the wrong direction here. They may not let anyone inside Hayward.

Lane County could move back to 'extreme risk' April 30, closing indoor dining

https://www.registerguard.com/story/...ms/7356847002/

Turning in tickets and staying on the couch, let's hope that they can hold the meet.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

Turning in tickets and staying on the couch, let's hope that they can hold the meet.
                              I was looking forward to attending the Trials too but turning in tickets was no longer voluntary after I got the email from USATF last week.

Comment

• exchange seen on Instagram:

<<How's the new stadium?>>

<<the seats need new hardware. The seatbacks are broken on many seats and it leans all the way back uncomfortably.>>

anybody have any input on that?

Comment

Working...
                                X