Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    On Agate I asked a workman what they are building in the north end..a 5200 Sq ft scoreboard. Will be behind the temporary seats
    gee, I could swear you poo-pooed my jumbotron suggestion just a couple of posts back

Comment

• I didn't poo poo it so much as I didn't see how it would all fit....I guessed you had word on something so I wasn't surprised it was confirmed today.. There isn't a lot of room with the temporary stands going where they are.

A scoreboard makes sense.
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-02-2021, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Looking at an overhead view....the temporary seats inside are where the stairs are now on the north end. The jumbatron I suspect is at the apex of the north end.

Comment

• Although I have yet to attend a meet at the new Hayward Field, I knew from wandering around the joint that their initial video scoreboards were tiny when compared to modern stadium standards. They're now in the process of fixing that (photo is a rendition). Looks to take up a significant piece of real estate that I was thinking would be used for temporary seat for the WCs.

new video screen - hayward field.jpg

The Hayward Experience

Scheduled for completion in the summer of 2022, the Visual Experience Board will be 60 feet tall by 160 feet long and will be on an arc between the existing concourse ramp and the northern gates. The design of the board takes queues from the existing stadium’s scale and materiality while the board’s swooping form is meant to exude speed and fluidity. The board will showcase roughly 5,080 square-feet of video screen, making it the largest permanent video screen for a track and field stadium in the country. In addition to the screen, the north side of the board will feature a perforated metal image of legendary UO coach Bill Hayward, blending past and present and serving as a welcoming gesture to fans arriving from Powell Plaza.

https://hayward.uoregon.edu/

Comment

• A torch-lighting ceremony is in the works:

The Olympic torch lighting signifies the start of the games, but when track and field events are underway for the World Athletics Championships this summer at the University of Oregon’s Hayward Field, a new tradition will spark. The tall tower outside of Hayward Field, long called the “Phildo,” will be lit by officials to indicate the start of track and field events but also to celebrate Eugene’s economic driver: weed.

Officials say the “Hayward Joint” will wrap the community together and help students save on weed money so they can pay for tuition.

“We’ve all shared a marijuana cigarette with our closest school chums, but the Hayward Joint will ensure, as the kids say, no one will bogart this baby,” says UO President Michael Schill. “Rather than throw our O, I figured we should smoke our O, too.”

Here’s how it works, Schill says. Just as the new venue can add stands for large events like the upcoming 2022 track and field world championships, it will also have a roof the university can attach. When the roof is in place, he says, someone will be at the top of the Hayward Joint tower with torches and the roof will close, basically hotboxing those in attendance.

The new Hayward Field was paid for by Nike founder Phil Knight at a cost of $270 million, but the decision to blaze a mountain of weed in the Hayward Joint will generate more business for local restaurants.

https://eugeneweekly.com/2022/03/31/just-blaze-it/

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
              A torch-lighting ceremony is in the works:
              Datestamp . . . April 1 . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                perhaps the upgraded jumbotron?
                Wow. That is one big video board

5b8816f5-1f43-41b4-b7f3-49739f6004c1-Eug_051322_Pac12_day_01_01.JPG?width=2560.jpg

Comment

• Where are all the temporary seats going , and can we know with certainty how many additional seats for the WC are being provided.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Wow. That is one big video board....
                    probably burns as much electricity as a crypto mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by clementina View Post
                      Where are all the temporary seats going , and can we know with certainty how many additional seats for the WC are being provided.
                      We've got your temp stands right here:

temp stands.png

Comment

• Article towards end of this thread https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...e6#post1747485
                        says. 17k seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                          Article towards end of this thread https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...e6#post1747485
                          says. 17k seats.
                          The 17,221 assumes the base original capacity of 12,650 and 4,571 added seats. The added seats included 1,692 seats in front of the new scoreboard (bringing the sections at the north end to 15 rows). From the current photo, those are not yet installed.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

probably burns as much electricity as a crypto mine.
                            An interesting observation and difficult to find much hard info on scoreboards.

The only useful information I could find on a quick tour of the internets was some calculations from a Chinese manufacture https://www.linsnled.com/energy-saving-led-display.html

They suggest new generation outdoor LEDs consume 0.12 kW/m2/hr, which is not a lot. However, the Hayward screen has 5080 sq ft or 472 m2, so that multiplies out to 57 kW/hr, or roughly four days of electricity for an average USA houshold (11,000 kWhrs per annum - EIA).

Crypto mining is fully scalable so a mine could be any size but CNET offers an example of a three GPU mining rig using 1kW continuosly, so that would be 1kW/hr. So the Hayward scoreboard uses the same energy as 57 three GPU cryptomining rigs each hour.

When considering if 57 rigs is a big mining operation, it's worth noting that CNET references a mine in Kazahkstan that is equipped to run 50,000 mining rigs or 877 Hayward scoreboards! And the mine would be running 24/365.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...e-are-worried/

So, no definitive confirmation for gh's observation but something to consider for bitcoin investors.

Comment

Working...
                            X