Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the backhoes move in and the wrecking ball starts swinging, I wonder if we'll be able to buy a piece of Hayward, or the track, to sit alongside the piece of the 2012 London track my son has on his dresser?

Comment

• Not quite over yet....the rush end around has been disgraceful...

"Opponents of Oregon’s plan to demolish Hayward Field got their day in court, or at least their moment on public access television.

Going before the Eugene City Council was essentially a Hail Mary in the fight to preserve Hayward’s East Grandstand. Everyone knew it, yet more than a dozen people showed up to plead their case during a public comment session Monday night."

unacceptable amount of copy cut and pasted to here, majority removed by mods

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...eeded.html.csp
      Last edited by gh; 04-24-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Neta Prefontaine, the sister of Steve Prefontaine, also spoke. There’s more to Hayward Field than Pre, of course, but he’s the one who gave the place its spiritual center. You could hear the pain in her voice as she talked about the casual disregard Oregon seems to be showing for the stadium where he ran, and where mourners paid their respects after his death.
        “I think the minute you touch Hayward Field and tear it down, you’ve lost it,” she said.
        Pre's sister is against it . . . hmmm . . . interesting . . .

Comment

• the Portland paper's take on the meeting:

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...down_hayw.html

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
            the Portland paper's take on the meeting:

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...down_hayw.html
            Excellent.....Sounds like it went well....

Bob Penny, a Bellingham builder who grew up in Eugene and has been helping lead opposition to tearing down the east grandstand, said he was pleased by what he heard from council members.

"We're bowled over by the response of the council," Penny said.

Comment

• I'm guessing the new stadium will win the day, but I wonder if the IAAF has a Plan B in their back pocket? I'd hate to see Eugene argue itself right out of hosting the Worlds.

Comment

• I'm sure London would grab the meet on a minute's notice (and w/ Seb's blessing)

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  I'm guessing the new stadium will win the day, but I wonder if the IAAF has a Plan B in their back pocket? I'd hate to see Eugene argue itself right out of hosting the Worlds.
                  Fwiw...I and others I know would love to see the meet in Eugene...but not at any cost....the new stadium supporters have no one to blame but themselves for the backlash...the secrecy and end run arounds were really unnecessary and the latest seems more like a sales pitch than a real plan....they can't even answer basic questions now...they have had a long time to work on this...for example what will it look like after 2021?

They had a plan...designed by Nike's Tinker Hatfield which was amenable....and then nothing happens...and this grandiose plan out of nowhere....and construction will start in June....

It's not so much the nostalgia ...but the arrogance of the U of Oregon people shoving this thing down everyone's throats...that tower looks ridiculous...without any public comment. And the nonsense about the rotting wood really is annoying....

And no one has mentioned why this at all costs must be at 15th and Agate....for the amount of money involved now converting Autzen would be much easier...or some other more suitable spot in the area like the basketball arena was built where Williams Bakery was...instead of knocking Mac Court down and building there...

If they had come up with this plan a year ago and welcomed comments they probably would have ended up with up close to what they wanted anyways....a complete rebuilding...

The whole plan seems strange and so rushed..to paraphrase Rawson go down to your local high school track and imagine having the Super Bowl there in 2 years to get a sense of how it feels to some.
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• The great is the enemy of the good. I do not think that anything here fits in the "at any cost" ballpark, they are not saying that track and field will not get any other dollars for the next two decades, ... With MtSAC and other venues updating, it might be that Oregon would get no future Trials, and few if any NCAA meets. Now that would be a great legacy, Eugene left well back in to the 2000s while the rest of the world moves forward.

So, would you prefer that the current stadium stand, there be no WCs in 2021, and that is it. If not, then stop complaining like a five-year old. And, remember that you really do not get to chose, they can turn down the dollars and keep the status quo, but they do not have much a say in funding that the complaining parties have almost nothing to contribute to.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                      The great is the enemy of the good. I do not think that anything here fits in the "at any cost" ballpark, they are not saying that track and field will not get any other dollars for the next two decades, ... With MtSAC and other venues updating, it might be that Oregon would get no future Trials, and few if any NCAA meets. Now that would be a great legacy, Eugene left well back in to the 2000s while the rest of the world moves forward.

So, would you prefer that the current stadium stand, there be no WCs in 2021, and that is it. If not, then stop complaining like a five-year old.
                      And don't be an asshole....so everyone who came out about it at the meeting last night including Kenny Moore and Pre's sister is acting like a five year old....swell... only stated what a lot of people in Eugene---who have been in the town for decades....volunteered at meets, and not just show up occasionally, watch a meet and go home----think about it...I haven't made it personal....if you think the project is great just say say so....but juvenile attacks are unnecessary...

None of you live in Eugene and made it what is great about the town..you seem to think it comes out of thin air....so a little respect is in order..
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-25-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• But you did not answer the implicit question. What is your proposal for how this would work (including getting the adequate financing etc.) If that is not feasible would you prefer for it to stay as it currently is and risk that it will not be what it has been with the various Trials going elsewhere and even the NCAA meet becoming an occasional visit. Aside from those meets, what crowds and meets of note would Hayward have - Pre? And if you bite the hand that feeds would Pre be able to be at the level that it currently is - The best DL/one+ day meet in the world? I do not remember any seemingly realistic counter proposal. And getting a bunch of past stars with deep associations with Hayward Field does not present a useful cross-section of the population, as important as they have been (plus, who would you expect to see but those with nostalgia side being very big?).
                        Last edited by 26mi235; 04-25-2018, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• But you did not answer the implicit question....

Right you make a juvenile comment and I'm suppose to take you seriously....

Comment

• good night, Lucy

Comment

• check out the Seatgate story now linked on front page, as one man's numbers say the sketch doesn't jibe with what reality wo uld demand.

Comment

• Seagate article regarding new Hayward

Re Mr. Grant's article:

His premise seems to be this comment "We will add 17,000 temporary ones at the northern end of the stadium when it comes time to host the 2021 Worlds"

Presumably this was said by someone and someone in the know. If it was said on the record, I can't find it on the web. That is that the temp seats would be at the northern end of the stadium. What I can find is simple reference to 12,900 seats expandable to around 30,000. Nothing I can find addresses where the temp seats would be. A few of us have speculated that the lower bowl are the permanent seats and the upper section is where the temp seats would be. I agree with those who state that it would be nice for those involved to spell it out.

Back to Mr. Grant's article, he bases all of his math...which I guess would be correct if his premise is correct but I'm not sure he is accurate (with allowance that he may be) with his interpretation of what has been put out there.

Anyone have any more color as to whether Mr. Grant's premise was actually stated?
                                Last edited by NotDutra5; 04-25-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X