X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    I stand corrected, but was only reporting what the official told my friends.
    2 people talking to a random official...what a source...

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    I stand corrected, but was only reporting what the official told my friends.

Leave a comment:

• measurer
    replied
    A couple of our friends were talking with an official while waiting for the marathoneres to go by at the WC. The official, maybe 70 years old, said (or complained) that the room and equipment for weighing and measuring throwing implements was not even in the stadium but two blocks away somewhere, and that there was no designated break room for officals to get out of the heat and sun, off their feet, away from the hubbub to relax, have a coffee, a Gatorade, a sandwich, a wee. Kind of surprising, a fancy new stadium that even has a coffee bar and a little salon for haircuts and pedicures for the U of O athletes but no break area for the officials.
    That simply is not true. The room for weights and measures at the WC in Eugene was one of the closest rooms to the track. It should be noted that at a WC or OG there is a greater demand for space. For the WC, the national technical officials had a tent just outside of the stadium near the TIC.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
    Here in the UK, I don't think there are many stadiums that have a room with a permanent sign on the door saying "officials' room" or "officials' break room" or whatever. On the other hand, there is usually a room somewhere that can be designated as such for a specific meet. It is quite common that the room where officials repot in when arriving at the start of the day is available for this purpose throughout the remainder of the day/meet.
    Many (most?) times it's a tent on the infield or just off the track.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    A couple of our friends were talking with an official while waiting for the marathoneres to go by at the WC. The official, maybe 70 years old, said (or complained) that the room and equipment for weighing and measuring throwing implements was not even in the stadium but two blocks away somewhere, and that there was no designated break room for officals to get out of the heat and sun, off their feet, away from the hubbub to relax, have a coffee, a Gatorade, a sandwich, a wee. Kind of surprising, a fancy new stadium that even has a coffee bar and a little salon for haircuts and pedicures for the U of O athletes but no break area for the officials.
    Here in the UK, I don't think there are many stadiums that have a room with a permanent sign on the door saying "officials' room" or "officials' break room" or whatever. On the other hand, there is usually a room somewhere that can be designated as such for a specific meet. It is quite common that the room where officials repot in when arriving at the start of the day is available for this purpose throughout the remainder of the day/meet.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

Those were designated as team tents for each nation during the WC.
    I know...

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Tents galore on the soccer field.

Those were designated as team tents for each nation during the WC.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Tents galore on the soccer field.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Might be a good thing to try to keep them happier, seems like they are, on the average, getting on in age and maybe not enough replacements coming up. One would think Uncle Phil could relate. The Phil Knight Memorial Meet Officials Break and Prostate Relief Room. Or PKMMOBPRR for short.
    Not sure what this guy is going on about. There are plenty of areas for officals to rest.

There weren't that many officials in the first place at Worlds. Probably a quarter of what were at the Trials.

2 people talking to some disgruntled volunteer...a very reliable source.

You weren't even here and now spreading stories.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-28-2022, 12:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Might be a good thing to try to keep them happier, seems like they are, on the average, getting on in age and maybe not enough replacements coming up. One would think Uncle Phil could relate. The Phil Knight Memorial Meet Officials Break and Prostate Relief Room. Or PKMMOBPRR for short.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    In normal meets there is plenty of room. A friend of mine works often at Hayward as an official. He has never complained.

Finding officials especially the older ones who want to moan isn't hard.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-28-2022, 12:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

probably burns as much electricity as a crypto mine.
    An interesting observation and difficult to find much hard info on scoreboards.

The only useful information I could find on a quick tour of the internets was some calculations from a Chinese manufacture https://www.linsnled.com/energy-saving-led-display.html

They suggest new generation outdoor LEDs consume 0.12 kW/m2/hr, which is not a lot. However, the Hayward screen has 5080 sq ft or 472 m2, so that multiplies out to 57 kW/hr, or roughly four days of electricity for an average USA houshold (11,000 kWhrs per annum - EIA).

Crypto mining is fully scalable so a mine could be any size but CNET offers an example of a three GPU mining rig using 1kW continuosly, so that would be 1kW/hr. So the Hayward scoreboard uses the same energy as 57 three GPU cryptomining rigs each hour.

When considering if 57 rigs is a big mining operation, it's worth noting that CNET references a mine in Kazahkstan that is equipped to run 50,000 mining rigs or 877 Hayward scoreboards! And the mine would be running 24/365.

So, no definitive confirmation for gh's observation but something to consider for bitcoin investors.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by donley2 View Post
    Article towards end of this thread https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...e6#post1747485
    says. 17k seats.
    The 17,221 assumes the base original capacity of 12,650 and 4,571 added seats. The added seats included 1,692 seats in front of the new scoreboard (bringing the sections at the north end to 15 rows). From the current photo, those are not yet installed.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Article towards end of this thread https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...e6#post1747485
    says. 17k seats.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X