X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF announces new rules for Semenya

In today’s NZ Herald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/athletics/...ectid=12039149

Just curious why this is only for distances between 400m to the Mile?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Go figure !!
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Testosterone has nothing to do with other events? At the risk of sounding stupid, would it stand to reason that female hurdlers should be able to use steroids (following whatever logic is being employed by the IAAF) ? - though I suspect the only thing driving this decision was to corral Caster Semenya.
        Last edited by ; 04-25-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

??!!
          Couldn't a good argument be made that extra T is MOST effective in the 100 and 200?

Comment

For some reason these events seem to be the most affected. But I agree the rule makes no sense in principle. I'm pretty sure hyperandrogenism gives an advantage in other events; probably more so in the throws.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Caught between a rock and a hard place. Semenya has worked hard to become a champion, and has done nothing wrong, but her (and others) elevated levels make it an unfair playing field. What is "fair" for Semenya, and others with the same condition, is different from what is "fair" for everyone else who competes against her. It's the devil balancing those two issues.

It seems to me that either the new rule should apply to all events or to no events. If the issue of hyperandrogenism is truly an "unfair" advantage, the condition doesn't only affect athletes who compete in the 400 through the mile.

Comment

What about shot and disc? Surely those would be affected. I agree this seems arbitrary

Comment

Possibly attempting to avoid a legal challenge? Semenya has never challenged the rules to medicate herself to lower testosterone. Sprinter Dullee Chand did. Maybe the IAAF figures Semenya won't challenge the rule or by the time she does and is successful she won't be a challenger anymore.

Absent that reasoning I consider the rule changes as reported as being particularly dopey yet somehow par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
                    - though I suspect the only thing driving this decision was to corral Caster Semenya.
                    I suspect that what is driving it is legal action in the courts, and CAS has said that if the IAAF wants to set a limit it needs to provide evidence of the competitive advantage.

As noted above by Powell, the evidence provided to CAS about the competitive advantage apparently is strongest for these events. Note also that sprinter Dutee Chand, who brought the original case to court, would not be affected by this rule.

Comment

This might be shot down by CAS again. For one thing IAAF will be accused of specifically targeting Semenya. There is a less talked about 100m runner from Oranje who testosterone levels are often questioned but in hushed tones.

The idea that hyperandrogenism only applies to distances between 400m and 1600m does not wash. You think a 100m runner will not benefit from extra testosterone?

I hope IAAF have done their homework this time. But it does not seem so.

Comment

What I recall is that CAS said that the evidence needed to be strong enough, and this event range seemed to be where the "Delta" in performance was large enough while in the other events it was not (yet). If this is correct, then CAS's listed reason for denying the previous rule is addressed. Note that this does not involve Semenya directly (I do not know if the data that underlies the measurements includes data from Semenya). If this is the case then it seems specifically that the IAAF has done its homework - mungo man, you might know and remember more than I on these issues, so what is your thinking on the 'homework' of the IAAF?

It is my impression that athletes thought to be in this category - but without ANY specific evidence - are mostly in this range, especially those with an effect on their event (e.g., Chanda).

Comment

Discrimination. Those are the distances Semenya does.

Comment

I understand they want to stop what's happening in the women's 800m(well, the freakshow anyway) asap but they should've waited until they can prove it affects all of women's athletics and then go for it. I don't believe for one second there is this sweet spot, I just think the 800m(and adjacent distances) happens to have the most talented hyperandrogenic women right now. In the future it could be the shot put, long jump or whatever.

Comment

I suggest you all read the story currently posted to the home page, which gets into the science behind the decision, and why the IAAF doesn't think CAS will intervene.

Comment

Working...
                              X