X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake Relays

Time for a thread for Drake. First event at Drake:

Men
    1. Andrew Irwin, Arkansas Vault Club, 18-4.5 (5.60)
    2. Shawn Barber, Nike Canada, 18-4.5 (5.60)
    3. Sam Kendricks, Nike, 18-0.5 (5.50)
    4. Mike Arnold, Nike, 18-0.5 (5.50)
    5. Scott Houston, Shore AC, 17-8.5 (5.40)

Women
    1. Jenn Suhr, adidas, 15-9 (4.80)
    2. Katie Nageotte, Nike, 15-5 (4.70)
    3. Sandi Morris, Nike, 15-5 (4.70)
    4. Kristen Brown, Chula Vista Elite 13-11.25 (4.25)

Kristen Hixson, Unattached, NH

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Time for a thread for Drake. First event at Drake:

Men
    1. Andrew Irwin, Arkansas Vault Club, 18-4.5 (5.60)
    2. Shawn Barber, Nike Canada, 18-4.5 (5.60)
    3. Sam Kendricks, Nike, 18-0.5 (5.50)
    4. Mike Arnold, Nike, 18-0.5 (5.50)
    5. Scott Houston, Shore AC, 17-8.5 (5.40)

Women
    1. Jenn Suhr, adidas, 15-9 (4.80)
    2. Katie Nageotte, Nike, 15-5 (4.70)
    3. Sandi Morris, Nike, 15-5 (4.70)
    4. Kristen Brown, Chula Vista Elite 13-11.25 (4.25)

Kristen Hixson, Unattached, NH
    That was the indoor event Wednesday. They will compete outdoors tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Jenny Simpson run 9:16.38 for the 2 Mile at Drake. I don't even know what the "AR" she was attacking is/was, because "who cares?". It converts to about 8:35 for 3K. This is a couple seconds faster than she ran indoors. Her 3000 PB is 8:29.58 is Brussels in 2014. In any case, a decent performance for early season. Rachel Schneider, Brenda Martinez and Stephanie Garcia (yay! no barriers) also broke 9:40. Shalaya Kipp set the pace for 3 laps, then Simpson took over and was by herself by the 2K (2018) mark. She ran 63.11 for the last 400.
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
        Jenny Simpson run 9:16.38 for the 2 Mile at Drake. I don't even know what the "AR" she was attacking is/was, because "who cares?"...
        the great unwashed, upon whom we depend for our ongoing life, care.

Comment

Jenny Simpson run 9:16.38 for the 2 Mile at Drake. I don't even know what the "AR" she was attacking is/was, because "who cares?"
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          This is why I care:

9:11.97 Regina Jacobs; that is a name many of us would like removed from the US record list.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            the great unwashed, upon whom we depend for our ongoing life, care.
            And consider me filthy. Much as I rail against metriphobia and the BBTM mania, Imperial records are still very much a thing to a great many USA fans.

Comment

This is why I care:

9:11.97 Regina Jacobs; that is a name many of us would like removed from the US record list.
              Well, 1) there is no USATF-sanctioned "American Record" for two miles, nor should there be;
              2) Jacobs' 9:11 was in a mixed race, so probably wouldn't be acceptable if there were an AR
              3) Simpson/Drake chose a cheap target instead of going after Mary Slaney's 8:25.83 for 3000 meters.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank

Comment

Well, 1) there is no USATF-sanctioned "American Record" for two miles, nor should there be;
                2) Jacobs' 9:11 was in a mixed race, so probably wouldn't be acceptable if there were an AR
                3) Simpson/Drake chose a cheap target instead of going after Mary Slaney's 8:25.83 for 3000 meters.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                So, let me see if I've got this right, what you are saying is that . . . YOU don't care. I'm sure you understand that there are many things you care for that others find irrelevant and pointless.

Comment

Simpson is running the 3000m at Doha.

Comment

Yes, indeed, the AR was the 9:20 from Rowbury, and the 9:16 is worth 1180 in the IAAF tables and corresponds to a 8:38 3000, but the 8% rule (mile=>1500, 2-mile=>3000) gives a quicker 8:35. And, it makes more sense to go for a quick 3000 time in a field where she is in a pack rather than going alone in a windy venue.

Comment

I will add from the Arkansas meet, 20-year old Yanis David (Florida/France, hit 14.13/46-4.25 and Marie-Josee Ebwea-Bile (Kentucky/UK?) hit 14.00/45-11.25 today.

Comment

And a good shot comp. Ryan Crouser with 22.01 tops Tom Walsh with 21.82

Comment

The differences in competitions was clear with Walsh hitting all of his, in a similar distance, while Crouser hit the 22.01 and then had five fouls. Of course, the fouls become more likely when you can go for broke a bit because you have a good entry on the board and are leading. Still, for people that saw the competition (I only saw a couple of throws by each) my unpracticed I was that Walsh was smoother - would others concur?

Comment

Crouser in the on camera interview called his technique "rough", so he appears to agree.

Comment

The differences in competitions was clear with Walsh hitting all of his, in a similar distance, while Crouser hit the 22.01 and then had five fouls. Of course, the fouls become more likely when you can go for broke a bit because you have a good entry on the board and are leading. Still, for people that saw the competition (I only saw a couple of throws by each) my unpracticed I was that Walsh was smoother - would others concur?
                              I think Tom would prefer to be a rough winner rather than a smooth loser.

Comment

Working...
                              X