Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drake Relays

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    This is why I care:

    9:11.97 Regina Jacobs; that is a name many of us would like removed from the US record list.
    That was in a mixed race with men in 1999. It wouldn't have been legal for record purposes anyway.

    Rowbury's 9:20.25 from 2014 was the record Simpson was going after.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
      I think Tom would prefer to be a rough winner rather than a smooth loser.
      I actually do not think so; if he had a rough winner here that winner would not be worth much really but if he were rough here with lots of fouls, that is the sort of inconsistency that kills you in a Championship meet, and it is that consistency that has lead to his Championship success as of late. One could argue that if he can be rough (and inconsistent) and throw 22.02, then when he works out that roughness he could be good for more distance; however, it is already good for much more distance and you do not get to 'just remove' roughness at will. It is this smoothness and consistency that makes me rate Walsh over everyone else at this point, including Crouser.

      Comment


      • #18
        Well, there is not a Penn Relays thread but this is noteworthy, a time better than many countries can put up

        1 Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 3:03.79 Malik James-King (47.6), Anthony Danvers (45.5), Shemar Chambers (45.82), Christopher Taylor (44.84)
        The did well at double the distance as well

        Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 7:26.09 Devannah Gayle (1:53.63), Rivaldo Marshall (1:51.17), Kimar Farquharson (1:50.61), Jovan Taye Williams (1:50.70)
        And on the short end they were 0.51 off the Penn Relays record but still very good
        Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 39.51 Rosean Young, Christopher Wilson, Tyreke Wilson, Dejour Russell
        Last edited by 26mi235; 04-29-2018, 04:43 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Smoother yes, Farther no

          Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
          The differences in competitions was clear with Walsh hitting all of his, in a similar distance, while Crouser hit the 22.01 and then had five fouls. Of course, the fouls become more likely when you can go for broke a bit because you have a good entry on the board and are leading. Still, for people that saw the competition (I only saw a couple of throws by each) my unpracticed I was that Walsh was smoother - would others concur?
          I am not certain of who was smoother, but Walsh had more fair throws. Crouser had a longer throw so he won the meet. Crouser is a bit rusty as this was his first meet in eight months and also coming off a hand injury. Judging by his 75'+ warm-up, I think he will be okay.

          Comment


          • #20
            If so, this will make for a heck of a season between the two given that Walsh has upped his game so much in the last year or two. It does look to be a two-man show with some of the others (Kovacs, Hill, not looking like they are ready to through far), although some of the Europeans may threaten at times.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BigTimeBob View Post
              I am not certain of who was smoother, but Walsh had more fair throws. Crouser had a longer throw so he won the meet. Crouser is a bit rusty as this was his first meet in eight months and also coming off a hand injury. Judging by his 75'+ warm-up, I think he will be okay.
              75’+????? Is that common to throw like that in the warm ups and then have to be more controlled to get a legal throw.?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                So, let me see if I've got this right, what you are saying is that . . . YOU don't care. I'm sure you understand that there are many things you care for that others find irrelevant and pointless.
                Absolutely, like Athletics.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                  The differences in competitions was clear with Walsh hitting all of his, in a similar distance, while Crouser hit the 22.01 and then had five fouls. Of course, the fouls become more likely when you can go for broke a bit because you have a good entry on the board and are leading. Still, for people that saw the competition (I only saw a couple of throws by each) my unpracticed I was that Walsh was smoother - would others concur?
                  Crouser is lucky that Seb Coe, et al, haven't changed the SP rules so that the winner is the one with the longest total distance over six throws! >:-)

                  Also, gh must have loooooved the start of the HS boys 4x4, with a no-stagger, waterfall start.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                    Crouser is lucky that Seb Coe, et al, haven't changed the SP rules so that the winner is the one with the longest total distance over six throws! >:-)
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    I worked a meet recently where my assigned 2nd Recorder in LJ proposed breaking a 4th place tie by number of fouls.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      75’+????? Is that common to throw like that in the warm ups and then have to be more controlled to get a legal throw.?
                      A lot of guys don't bother about fouling in the warmups, which leads to some monster throws that they can't replicate when staying in the ring. OTOH, 75' is "just" 22.86, which may be in their range this year.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank
                      Woodland, CA, USA

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                        I actually do not think so; if he had a rough winner here that winner would not be worth much really but if he were rough here with lots of fouls, that is the sort of inconsistency that kills you in a Championship meet, and it is that consistency that has lead to his Championship success as of late. One could argue that if he can be rough (and inconsistent) and throw 22.02, then when he works out that roughness he could be good for more distance; however, it is already good for much more distance and you do not get to 'just remove' roughness at will. It is this smoothness and consistency that makes me rate Walsh over everyone else at this point, including Crouser.
                        I am sure you are right.

                        Tom was absolutely rapped to be a smooth loser

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                          Well, there is not a Penn Relays thread but this is noteworthy, a time better than many countries can put up

                          1 Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 3:03.79 Malik James-King (47.6), Anthony Danvers (45.5), Shemar Chambers (45.82), Christopher Taylor (44.84)
                          The did well at double the distance as well

                          Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 7:26.09 Devannah Gayle (1:53.63), Rivaldo Marshall (1:51.17), Kimar Farquharson (1:50.61), Jovan Taye Williams (1:50.70)
                          And on the short end they were 0.51 off the Penn Relays record but still very good
                          Calabar (Kingston, JAM) 39.51 Rosean Young, Christopher Wilson, Tyreke Wilson, Dejour Russell
                          This is just insane, specifically the 4x4 record. The previous Penn Relays best for HS was 3:08.59. These guys took 5 Seconds off the record.

                          My father, who I’m sure isn’t alone....is skeptical at best about the age of the Jamaican runners, based off previous cases of older runners sprinkled in. Lol.

                          I assume they are legit. Especially Christopher Taylor who was world youth champ at 15. Running 45.2. He’s already been through the IAAF verification process.

                          I’m curious if he has plans to attend college in the US or go Pro? That 44.84 anchor leg was beautiful.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I think that the Jamaican high schools have students that are a bit older than in the US, with more 19-year olds, but they are not a whole year older (probably based on different age cutoffs for when kids start). I am sure that we will hear from the Jamaican contingent and this will be clarified.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X