Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how about an 8-city Diamond League?

that's an option that the IAAF is apparently considering, according to a story now posted ot the home page. The story also mentions "10 or "12"

Which 8 cities do you think would emerge from that kind of extreme blowup?

I can think of political reasons that would keep almost every existing fixture on the calendars.

The key to making it "easy," of course is for the IAAF simply to raise the financial criteria to the point where the weak sisters have no choice but to withdraw.

Originally posted by gh View Post
    that's an option that the IAAF is apparently considering, according to a story now posted ot the home page. The story also mentions "10 or "12"

Which 8 cities do you think would emerge from that kind of extreme blowup?

I can think of political reasons that would keep almost every existing fixture on the calendars.

The key to making it "easy," of course is for the IAAF simply to raise the financial criteria to the point where the weak sisters have no choice but to withdraw.
    Interesting

DOHA - keep - Middle East

SHANGHAI - Keep - Asia

EUGENE - Keep - USA

ROME - lose - have other Euro

OSLO or STOCKHOLM - keep one, pref. Oslo [Bislett]

PARIS - lose - have other Euro

LAUSANNE - lose - have Zurich

RABAT - keep - Africa

MONACO - keep - home of IAAF

LONDON - keep

BIRMINGHAM - drop

ZÜRICH - keep

BRUSSELS - drop - have other Euro

Comment

So, if the series is cut down to 8 meets, would each of them include all events on the program, or would every event be featured in just 4 or 5 meets?
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I don't understand why they would want less of the sport available for fans. I would also assume they would likely have less turn out at these meets maybe? Having multiple meets allows fans from other places to hit a lot of them in a short time frame (Paris, Lausanne, Rabat, Monaco and London are all within less than a month and close to each other, aside from Rabat).

Also, are they still looking for a sponsor since Samsung dropped out 5 years ago?

Comment

Cutting it down to 8 might be good for the IAAF, but it's not good for athletes. Here is what Tianna Bartoletta tweeted a couple of days ago:

Long jumpers have FOUR diamond league competitions. Our sponsors (who are well within their right to) pay based on exposure. Well...what do you think happens to our sponsorship dollars when we’re moved to pre-program pre-broadcast, or we’re cut from meets entirely?
          With only 8 meets you can bet the field events would get cut down even more, which would cost athletes money.

Comment

Seems like a stupid idea. The sport needs more rather than less exposure.

Comment

I don't support paring it down, but I don't think they should schedule any DL meets after Olympics or Worlds. Start the season two weeks earlier and squeeze in Rabat and Monaco before Eugene.

Comment

I disagree with having nothing after Worlds - do you want to kill the entire rest of the season for T&F, with the international set mainly going from late-May to mid-August? Without some major meets too many stars would just shut it down right after the WC/OG and given that there is nothing close to the Champs of note, those not going are done in July. If they did not make it in the Trials timeframe because they had early-season injuries then their season is a month.

I do not understand the thinking that nothing of any importance or interest should take place after the WC/OG. It is NOT the Super Bowl or the World Series. Look at Tennis, Golf, Soccer, which are all more like T&F than Football and Basketball, they do not shut everything down, and they do not have a singular Event.

Comment

The financial realities of a sport not many care about anymore...

Comment

How can people start caring about a sport they can't watch? Almost all of athletics is behind paywalls nowadays, which is the opposite of what it needs to attract new fans. And even fans willing to pay don't get what they want. Doha this Friday will be the first clash between Vetter and Röhler this year, but no matter how much i'd be willing to pay, i won't be able to watch the javelin competition. According to what they have been saying recently, both are in 95+ shape, but instead of following them i will be forced to watch 5-10 Kenyans in races i don't give a [email protected] about.
                    Tennis gives me up to 18 simultaneous streams for ONE tournament, the IAAF/DL can't even give me two.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                      Doha this Friday will be the first clash between Vetter and Röhler this year, but no matter how much i'd be willing to pay, i won't be able to watch the javelin competition.
                      NBC Sports Gold Diamond League Doha - W Discus - M Javelin Track and Field 05/04 10:15 am CDT

Well, in the US, NBC Sports Gold has this as a somewhat dedicated event.

Comment

But being European, i can't subscribe to NBC Gold.

Comment

"Shanghai, China
                          Strengths—The only meet in Asia . . . "

You know I don't like to argue, but the preceding DL meet listed, Doha, Qatar, is in Asia. The Middle East is not generally recognized as a continent; it is regarded as a region within Asia.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
                          http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...s_by_continent

The IAAF wants to "improve the product?" Sure, if they pare off what they consider the weaker meets, the remaining meets will be stronger and assumedly of greater individual importance. But what does that achieve? Is the IAAF more concerned with maintaining a token presence for political reasons in at least 3 countries where there is little interest in the sport, or are they genuinely interested in having well-attended meets?
                          Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 05-05-2018, 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
                            "Shanghai, China
                            Strengths—The only meet in Asia . . . "

You now I don't like to argue, but the preceding DL meet listed, Doha, Qatar, is in Asia.
                            That's true, geographically speaking, but replace the term 'Asia' with 'Far East' and the point is a valid one. 3 of the last 6 WCs took place in that region, so it's obviously important for the IAAF and they wouldn't want to deprive it of its only meet on the major circuit. And China in particular is a key market for everyone nowadays.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Remove the 30mio bribe and Doha 2019 would have never happened. It's not about regions, it's about money.

Comment

Working...
                              X