Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asbel Kiprop tested positive for EPO

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asbel Kiprop tested positive for EPO

    Details: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...#ixzz5EMuiJ9jT

  • #2
    Originally posted by norunner View Post
    My uninformed opinion is there has been lots more uncaught EPO cheats than HGH, testosterone, or anabolic steroid cheats (individually).

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, given the history of distance/middle-distance running over the last 20 years, I don't think anyone is particularly shocked when a star tests positive. Still disappointing.

      I don't really trust anyone, I know that I don't and haven't used PEDs, I'm 99% sure about the people I personally know, other than that nobody testing positive really shocks me anymore.

      How many golds are gonna get redistributed in another 5 years when they actually give out Kiprop's medals to the next person who didn't test positive yet?

      Comment


      • #4
        Went and looked at it, it would appear that the following athletes were (I'll add the disclaimer here that they "may have been" to avoid this post being deleted against my will) robbed:
        2008: Nick Willis
        2011: Silas Kiplagat
        2013: Matt Centrowitz
        2015: Elijah Manangoi

        To say nothing of the athletes who were awarded 4th place, or the athletes who have lost so many other races on the circuit to Kiprop or all the athletes unable to get into the top tier of races worldwide over the last 10 years because Kiprop was taking a spot in the field. And I haven't even started on the money....

        When will we start banning athletes for life after the first offense? To say nothing of coaches and agents (such as Kiprop's agent) whose athletes consistently are dirty.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by americantrackfan View Post
          the following athletes were robbed:
          2008: Nick Willis
          2011: Silas Kiplagat
          2013: Matt Centrowitz
          2015: Elijah Manangoi
          If and only if . . .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            If and only if . . .
            Maybe I'm the real world champ. I ran like a 4:15 1500m indoors in a lowkey high school meet in 2011.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by americantrackfan View Post
              ....

              When will we start banning athletes for life after the first offense? ....
              when courts sign off on it; that was tried 20-odd years ago and the courts ruled against the IAAF

              Comment


              • #8
                You don't need to ban them for life, just find a way to keep them out of the DL and major championships.

                Comment


                • #9
                  One method that could possibly be useful would be if individual countries pass laws that prohibit for 10 years any foreigner from being allowed to enter their country if they have been found to have breached the WADA drug regulations.

                  This would then circumvent CAS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    And on behalf of NZ, I am very pleased to accept the congratulations to NZ for our now 3 x OG Gold for the 1500 men (morally anyway).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why so difficult? Anyone entered for a DL meet, WCs or OGs has to sign an affidavit confirming they have never used any form of PED banned under WADA regulations. If you can't sign, you can't compete, if you sign wrongfully, you break the law. I don't know about other countries, but in Germany you can go to jail for a false affidavit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by norunner View Post
                        Why so difficult? Anyone entered for a DL meet, WCs or OGs has to sign an affidavit confirming they have never used any form of PED banned under WADA regulations. If you can't sign, you can't compete, if you sign wrongfully, you break the law. I don't know about other countries, but in Germany you can go to jail for a false affidavit.
                        Oh yes, of course, the perfect solution. These athletes would never, never, ever sign a false statement. And most of them don't live in Germany.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          And on behalf of NZ, I am very pleased to accept the congratulations to NZ for our now 3 x OG Gold for the 1500 men (morally anyway).
                          Very interested to see how Willis responds to this news. If he doesn't make a statement himself you can bet anyone and everyone will be asking him about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            Oh yes, of course, the perfect solution. These athletes would never, never, ever sign a false statement. And most of them don't live in Germany.
                            You're missing the point: Anyone ever suspended for doping can't sign, therefore they wouldn't be allowed to compete.
                            This from a quick google search for the US: In an affidavit, you swear under penalty of perjury that the facts you set out in the document are true to the best of your knowledge. Lying in an affidavit is the same as lying in court testimony, and constitutes a crime called perjury. (Penalties for perjury vary between jurisdiction. Perjury is a felony, and punishment can include jail time, up to five years, and heavy fines.)
                            Didn't Marion Jones go to jail for perjury after lying to federal agents?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by norunner View Post
                              You're missing the point: Anyone ever suspended for doping can't sign, therefore they wouldn't be allowed to compete.
                              This from a quick google search for the US: In an affidavit, you swear under penalty of perjury that the facts you set out in the document are true to the best of your knowledge. Lying in an affidavit is the same as lying in court testimony, and constitutes a crime called perjury. (Penalties for perjury vary between jurisdiction. Perjury is a felony, and punishment can include jail time, up to five years, and heavy fines.)
                              Didn't Marion Jones go to jail for perjury after lying to federal agents?
                              That doesn't solve the problem that it appears that it is still very easy to cheat and get away with it for a long time. How many athletes have long and successful careers for many years before they are caught cheating? And does anyone really think that we come anywhere close to catching all the cheaters? Cheaters already get punished. We need to focus on prevention, and I for one think that banning coaches and agents and doctors is a big area that should be expanded on. I would certainly hope that Kiprop's agent is banned and deported from Kenya, as he has now had several high profile athletes test positive for EPO.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X