Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rupp 2:06:07

Galen Rupp won today's Volkswagen Prague marathon in 2:06:07. USA 2nd fastest performer, 3rd fastest performance record quality course, behind Khannouchi 2002 Chicago & 2002 London.

Nice to see him bounce back. Who else was in it, and how did the race unfold?

Edit: Lemma (ETH) was 2nd in 2:07:02. They were together until about 24 miles. Good article at, http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/05/...ague-marathon/
    Last edited by bobguild76; 05-06-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Now that is getting a serious time....fastest American born in the U.S....other than the wind blown 2:04:58. And faster than Mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Now that is getting a serious time....fastest American born in the U.S....other than the wind blown 2:04:58. And faster than Mo...
        Cooler weather than London though.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
          Cooler weather than London though.
          True...but I wouldn't be surprised if Mo never runs faster.

I hope Rupp runs Berlin and not back to the 20 mile Jogathon and 10k race that is Chicago.

And on a related note...
          If Boston and Chicago don't want to have pacers, fine...but why have appearance fees....just straight cash prizes....
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-06-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Rupp now obviously #1 USA on combined 5000m/10,000m/marathon scoring list, by a good margin over whoever next. Where does he rank world-wide all-time?

Comment

Definitely behind Bekele and Geb

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                True...but I wouldn't be surprised if Mo never runs faster.

I hope Rupp runs Berlin and not back to the 20 mile Jogathon and 10k race that is Chicago.

And on a related note...
                If Boston and Chicago don't want to have pacers, fine...but why have appearance fees....just straight cash prizes....
                I think that it is silly to think that his warmish London, the first he ran as a marathon runner, will be his fastest. That is certainly a bet I would take.

As for Chicago not having pacers, ALL races with pacers provide times that are not fully indicative of the quality of the runner. If you cannot do it in a championship race you don't really get top honors, even a 2:02 is not worth an Olympic Gold. That. of course, is one of the many reasons that Kipchoge is the GOAT.

And, if you just have racing incentives, they will not elicit fast times unless they are only (or at least primarily) for time points, not places. Chicago trains racers, as does NYC and Boston. As a casual observation, for a championship race the quality of a runner with a PR in a time-trial race (e.g., Doha, Berlin, ...) you need to add three minutes (a bit less if they win that race with good competition) if you want to see where the competition really is for a championship race. Note that Rupp's time here fits that mold well. Somewhat surprisingly, even a supposed great racer - on the track - Bekele is not very good at racing marathons.

Rupp and Farah must be pretty equal, Bekele is almost certainly first, Kipchoge is pretty high up the list. Also interesting would be to take only championship races to compare points.

Comment

Originally posted by Fielding Melish View Post
                  Rupp now obviously #1 USA on combined 5000m/10,000m/marathon scoring list, by a good margin over whoever next. Where does he rank world-wide all-time?
                  I had not thought of this question, and have not moved on to the world a-t question yet -- still on the 'whoever next' amongst USA runners. I have not looked up points, but I would guess that Ritzenhein (12:56.27/27:22.28/2:07:47) would be #2 on the USA version of this list, should anyone compile it.

Comment

Watching the race now, it is an stunningly beautiful course.

Comment

Yes, I too watched the video replay (and jumped ahead of the crowd shots), and enjoyed to scenery. During the race the commented on how the major city marathons get advertising of the city and with Prague among the most beautiful of the cities they must have been delighted that Rupp came and might have offered him some good inducements. As it is he will take home 45,000 Euros for place and time awards and possibly use of a VW, the primary race sponsor.

They went out at a decent pace, about course record pace through 15km (2:05:30) then eased back a bit to 1:03:00 at the half, slowed a bit and then Rupp pushed at about 37km and by 4500m left had a lead that grew to almost a minute by the end, and he eased off a little the last bit when he knew that he could not break 2:06 without pushing too hard for his hamstrings which seemed to get tight right at the end.

Rupp took 3:13 off of his PR and almost no one in the top five or so was very close to their PR, as it was sunny and a bit warmer than optimal conditions, although not warm like London.
                      Last edited by 26mi235; 05-06-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Both Hasay and Rupp are now the second fastest American marathoner of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fielding Melish View Post
                          See the last page of this thread. You can insert Rupp's marathon time to see where he stands.

https://trackandfieldnews.com/discus...=bekele+triple

Comment

Four years ago I would have been ecstatic about this result. Now, "meh".

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan View Post
                              Definitely behind Bekele and Geb
                              And Tergat.

Comment

Working...
                              X